Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #1
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
Laugh Side View Mirror Went Buh-Bye

Hi Guys

I fought the law but who won?!

Im sure this has happened to many others but this was my first. I was riding along in California, splitting my way home. A car ahead, stuck in miles of traffic, decides to stop me, and squeezes in on me. Now, I didn't want to get closer as I rode beside the car, but the driver seemed to want to. Guess the driver forgot its mirrors stick out like big ears. I rode past and BLAM! Last thing I saw was a side view mirror dangling off a door and 10 seconds later I am 20 cars ahead and past a red light the offending car is stuck behind.

I pull off several blocks up the road for a nice coffee and donut.

But what to do, guys? Pretty sure i know what the law says but I am not down with that when dealing with a-holes trying to squish me on the road. Do I stop in the middle of the street and deal with the driver? Pull off and try to reason with them while explaining it is unlawful and reckless to try to block me? I am outside and vulnerable and once out of sight decided to stay out of mind. Of the driver, that is.

I parked behind the coffee shop and switched my jacket. Gone underground.

I figure I am insured, the driver is insured. All is fair in love and war and riding, right? Right!?

idk? Hoping I did the smarter, safer thing by continuing on my way and as riders some might agree. No doubt the driver was trying to stop me, resentful. So, what to do?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,714
What will happen to the next bike splitting?
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #3
DudeClone OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
I don't know I hope the driver will not do this anymore. I mean perhaps they will make room, instead? And tell their families and coworkers how their actions lost 'em a mirror.

Making bonehead moves like that can get a rider injured badly. Even at low speed. If only some drivers could understand riders are not trying to offend them or upset them by riding past. Why do some try to block us?

I didn't want to smash into the mirror. In fact i was riding by and it sort of hit me. Like in basketball when a guy blocks the ball handler. In this case I am the ball handler heading toward the hoop and a mirror just drops in my way and expects me to stop.

Not gonna happen, most likely.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
livo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
Old 12-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #5
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 2,239
Getting squeezed used to piss me off.

Riding the line you could see "that guy" up ahead looking in his side view who would pull slightly to the left-especially at a bridge toll. Never took off a mirror though I was tempted.

Sometimes there'd be The Guy who was watching in the side view and would pull slightly right.

That was a couple decades ago and I'm sure there are more of "that guy" vs The Guy now.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #6
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,871
I'm pretty sure you are at fault for hitting him. The law doesn't preclude splitting, but it is definitely up to the splitter to do it without hitting other vehicles.

Jim

PS I know this will not be a popular thing to say on a MC forum, but it is true IMHO.
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
Gripsteruser
Service Monkey

Oddometer: 537
What makes you think the other guy is insured?

Would have been better to just readjust the aim of his mirrors - oh well.
Gripsteruser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
I'm pretty sure you are at fault for hitting him. The law doesn't preclude splitting, but it is definitely up to the splitter to do it without hitting other vehicles.

Jim

PS I know this will not be a popular thing to say on a MC forum, but it is true IMHO.

RE: PS...Only if the truth hurts.

bwalsh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #9
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 621
And you're proud of this?
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,390
He was an Don't worry about it. ... But be mindful on that commute in the future... He may see you coming again and be more aggressive next time.
Old 12-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
Anorak
Woolf Barnato

Oddometer: 32,158
I had someone pull into my lane as I was merging, the mirror on the car exploded when the bar end hit it. I broke a finger and bent the handle bar when A mini van eased over on me and I took out the tail light. The I-ABS might have been involved, thought. It was before the recall to install the check valve at the front master cylinder. The brake level went solid and no braking occurred.

"they live off the carrion of our mutual distrust and bribe us with symbols that equate hatred with manhood."

"I mean at the end of the day, I was addicted to Starting Fluid for Christ's sake!"

"Yeah, that guy sure is terrible at touching moms"
Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
adam71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Speaking from professional experience:

If you had stopped-
The driver of the car would have been found at fault for making an unsafe turning movement. 22107 CVC. Infraction

Since you fled-
Because of the fact you fled the scene of a collision with visible damage, you would have been found in violation of hit and run. 20002 CVC. Misdemeanor.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #13
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes

Oddometer: 4,728
Need the OP to provide more info. Did he knock the mirror off deliberately or by accident? The story reads to me as if knocking the mirror off was not deliberate. Most likely it was not damaged anyway and the driver merely had to snap it back on.

I rode through London one time on my XS650, lane splitting all the way. Several times, my GF on the back gave me a big punch between the shoulder blades. She only told me later that she kept hitting her knees on mirrors. I had got so used to the notion that if my handlebars would go through a gap, I was good, and hadn't realized that she was now the widest part of the bike.
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #14
D R
----

Oddometer: 457
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
Need the OP to provide more info. Did he knock the mirror off deliberately or by accident? The story reads to me as if knocking the mirror off was not deliberate. Most likely it was not damaged anyway and the driver merely had to snap it back on.

I rode through London one time on my XS650, lane splitting all the way. Several times, my GF on the back gave me a big punch between the shoulder blades. She only told me later that she kept hitting her knees on mirrors. I had got so used to the notion that if my handlebars would go through a gap, I was good, and hadn't realized that she was now the widest part of the bike.
Did you tell your girlfriend that?

D R screwed with this post 12-04-2013 at 12:19 PM
D R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #15
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,173
It sounds like the driver was deliberately trying to squeeze you out and not let you by. I would consider that an assault with a deadly weapon (car) and all bets are off for being civilized at this point. You must remove yourself from a dangerous situation, which is exactly what you did. It would also have been no use to try to talk to him at a later point, since he already tried to do you harm. I would definitely be careful and keep an eye out for further issues from this guy during your commutes in the same area.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote