Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 06:35 AM   #91
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,079
I don't like the body but I am a huge fan of a turbo 4 coming back especially with the way Ford turbos are delivering their power. With 300hp and 300+ ft-lb of torque available likely much lower in the power band than even the V8 it could be a fun car and hopefully will be easy to tune.

5.0 GT makes peak torque at 4250 RPM
Focus ST makes it at 2700 RPM and just using that as a guide for hp/liter bumping the engine size to 2.3 gets you to almost 300 hp.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #92
ShadyRascal
Master of None

Oddometer: 5,952
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
I don't like the body but I am a huge fan of a turbo 4 coming back especially with the way Ford turbos are delivering their power. With 300hp and 300+ ft-lb of torque available likely much lower in the power band than even the V8 it could be a fun car and hopefully will be easy to tune.
We have a Range Rover Evoque with the 2.0 direct injection turbo 4, built by Ford in Spain. 240 horsepower. It is really surprising how strong and smooth that engine is. I believe this would be the same engine series coming to the Stang.

That could be a hoot on an auto cross track.

Evolution, or, natural selection, has nothing to do with better.

It merely weeds out what is no longer suitable for the given context.

Originally Posted by Dragoon

I would rather be on my motorcycle thinking about God than in church thinking about my motorcycle.
ShadyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:30 AM   #93
TheMuffinMan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 5,044
I for one think the new design looks like crap. Maybe it's just me but I quite like the strong lines of the 2005 redesign. The engines are good though offering a turbo is sacrilege. Maybe it's because I grew up in Michigan.

There is no replacement for displacement.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
'12 690 Enduro // 690 Wiki
TheMuffinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #94
NikonsAndVStroms
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMuffinMan View Post
I for one think the new design looks like crap. Maybe it's just me but I quite like the strong lines of the 2005 redesign. The engines are good though offering a turbo is sacrilege. Maybe it's because I grew up in Michigan.

There is no replacement for displacement.
It's paying tribute to the stang us nerds loved which is one reason I'm betting they pick 2.3 liters. Between that and the 5.0 it's like we're living in the 80's again!

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #95
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripl Nikl View Post
I would have liked to see that body design move forward with an all new 5.0 Ecoboost motor and 6-speed. It would not be unreasonable to achieve 650hp and 30mpg. It would have been a game changer for the Camaro and Charger.

All of the Ford purists I know balked at it though, which is why Ford backed off.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #96
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Oddometer: 22,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_There View Post
The video says the same thing I did.

Add to that the "reporter" is claiming the high belt lines are a result of the required gap between the engine and the hood as opposed to the real reason, occupant crash safety requirements, and I'll stick with my original statement.

NICO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:01 PM   #97
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I would have liked to see that body design move forward with an all new 5.0 Ecoboost motor and 6-speed. It would not be unreasonable to achieve 650hp and 30mpg. It would have been a game changer for the Camaro and Charger.

All of the Ford purists I know balked at it though, which is why Ford backed off.
It's one of those designs that needs to be a new vehicle as opposed to a re-design of an existing success. Or I could see the next generation Mustang looking much more like that. Less dramatic a shift from the '15 styling.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:10 PM   #98
Ride_There
Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
The video says the same thing I did.

Add to that the "reporter" is claiming the high belt lines are a result of the required gap between the engine and the hood as opposed to the real reason, occupant crash safety requirements, and I'll stick with my original statement.

No it did not. There was never any talk about preventing people from going under cars. Just cushioning the impact to the head/upper body and ankles.
Ride_There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:12 PM   #99
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
The rear C pillar window was really a nice, unique mustang design. It looks like every other import-ish coupe now. Blech. The car should be the same size of smaller than my 03 Mach, and a few nods to the 65 fastback would have been nice.

I'm expecting it to look much better in person, but they blew that classic fastback look in the side window.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #100
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride_There View Post
No it did not. There was never any talk about preventing people from going under cars. Just cushioning the impact to the head/upper body and ankles.
Watch the vid again. About the 1:20 mark, he even does a demo.

And the guys a moran. Beltlines are more about keeping the bumper on Soccer Mom's SUV from braining you in a side-impact than anything else.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #101
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICO View Post
It's one of those designs that needs to be a new vehicle as opposed to a re-design of an existing success.
As a joke, they should bring it into production under the Pinto moniker, but make it 2,500 lbs with the 2.3 Ecoboost. I honestly think people would appreciate the humor and buy the shit out of it.

Damn. 205'd

http://pricinginsider.carsdirect.com...into-for-2014/
Old 12-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #102
NICO
NWGS's pwner!1!!1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
As a joke, they should bring it into production under the Pinto moniker, but make it 2,500 lbs with the 2.3 Ecoboost. I honestly think people would appreciate the humor and buy the shit out of it.

Damn. 205'd

http://pricinginsider.carsdirect.com...into-for-2014/
I like that concept ^^^ .

From your link, my dad bought one of these buggers in the early '80s. I loved it for the day and 1/2 we owned it, then it backfired and the engine bay ignited. Dad raised holy hell with the car lot that sold him that car.

One of those old Pintos with a new 4 Ecoboost would be effin' awesome.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #103
svs
All Hands on Deck!

Oddometer: 23,642
Looks good from the Pic's...
Old 12-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #104
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

There is a guy who drives a restored Pinto at the autocross every year in Pleasanton, CA. He does fairly well, considering the lack of power.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #105
cirrus365
beaned

Oddometer: 266
cirrus365 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: