Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 08:24 PM   #16
traveltoad OP
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpet View Post
I've tried has given me arm pump on top of that.
I have found that every body armor has elbow pads and then an elastic strap on the forearm to hold the elbow pad in place. I by no means have Popeye forearms... but that elastic strap is ALWAYS way too tight. I usually have to cut it off or find a way to just hold it out of the way.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:25 PM   #17
traveltoad OP
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ View Post
Just reviewed the photos at Solomoto's blog site. I'm not as in love with the 3DF now as I was hoping to be. I just don't see any rib protection either, in fact right where I would like to see some protection there is a big plastic buckle that actually looks like it could cause pain if you landed on that buckle during a get off.
I'll let you know in the next day or so...
Old 12-12-2013, 12:36 PM   #18
MushNB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Recognizing that no one has tried this product out yet, what's the consensus or thoughts about wearing something like this on the road under a textile jacket? Would this offer enough protection?
MushNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #19
traveltoad OP
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MushNB View Post
Recognizing that no one has tried this product out yet, what's the consensus or thoughts about wearing something like this on the road under a textile jacket? Would this offer enough protection?
A lot of textile jackets already have protection built in and I would *think* that doubling up would be too bulky. But I will give you first hand feedback when I get mine.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #20
MushNB
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
A lot of textile jackets already have protection built in and I would *think* that doubling up would be too bulky. But I will give you first hand feedback when I get mine.
Thanks. I was thinking under something like the klim traverse which has no padding and is basically a waterproof shell, but appreciate that it would be bulky under something with padding already. Reason I ask is because it would be nice to ride street with this gear to get to the off-road and then throw a jersey overtop when riding the trails. I find it cumbersome to pack up a full padded jacket or armour so this might be a good solution.
MushNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #21
traveltoad OP
Aaron S

Quote:
Thanks. I was thinking under something like the klim traverse which has no padding and is basically a waterproof shell, but appreciate that it would be bulky under something with padding already. Reason I ask is because it would be nice to ride street with this gear to get to the off-road and then throw a jersey overtop when riding the trails. I find it cumbersome to pack up a full padded jacket or armour so this might be a good solution.
That is a great idea. I will have it tomorrow (per tracking) and I will let you know.
Old 12-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #22
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,276
AAAAnnnnndddd???? :)
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:59 AM   #23
traveltoad OP
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR1 View Post
AAAAnnnnndddd???? :)
The body protector arrived on Friday (on schedule), but only after I left to help set up my wife's Xmas party so I didn't see it until late Friday night. I tossed it into the truck at 4am on Sat and headed south to Baja without even opening the box.

Just got back late last night...need a little more coffee before I write it up.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #24
Bill the Bong
Supern00ba

Oddometer: 790
I've had the normal 3DF body protector for a while. Crash tested it at 140 kph on a rally stage. I survived. I was pretty impressed by that.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #25
traveltoad OP
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Bong View Post
I've had the normal 3DF body protector for a while. Crash tested it at 140 kph on a rally stage. I survived. I was pretty impressed by that.
I am happy that someone else did the crash test... so now (hopefully) I won't have to.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #26
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,308
I've been looking at this too Aaron, so I'll be curious to hear your thoughts.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 01:46 PM   #27
traveltoad OP
Aaron S

So, as I mentioned before, I received my new Leatt 3DF Airfit Body Protector on Friday, exactly as the guys at Solomoto Parts said it would. Unfortunately, the UPS driver dropped it off too late on Friday for me to even open the box so i just tossed it into the truck for my 4am departure.

Just in case something didn't feel right about the Airfit I also brought my trusty Leatt Adventure Body Protector.

The basic set up is the same for both the Airfit and the Adventure... one piece chest protector and an offset zip; openings on the inside of the elbows to help with fitment and for additional ventilation; adjustable elastic straps connecting the back protector to the chest protector on each side. But there are many differences between the two.

The Airfit uses a much different shirt material. It is designed to be a compression shirt (as well as a body protector) so the fabric is a bit thinner and has a bit more spring to its stretchiness. I did notice right away that the Airfit does not have a kidney belt, which did worry me. I also noticed the lack elastic/velcro arm straps to help hold the elbow protectors in place. I have always found that the arm straps on body protectors (including the Leatt Adventure Body Protector) to restrict blood flow and cause arm pump, so I was pleased not to see them on the Airfit. A couple other things I noticed: the shirt is longer; the addition of pads on the lower sides of the shirt; way less cumbersome. Leatt also added pads at the biceps which is nice.

Putting the Airfit on was much the same as any other body protector with an offset front zip with a couple slight differences. First of all, because the shirt has more of a "compression fit" it is tighter and takes a bit more time to work the sleeves completely onto your arm. If you wear a watch while riding (as I do), save yourself some hassle and take the watch off before putting on/taking off the Airfit.

My one complaint about putting the Airfit on: Inside the elbows are the cut-outs to allow fitment/ventilation. The pocket for the elbow pad is in the exact same spot so it is really easy to end up with your hand in the elbow pad pocket and because of the tight fit you don't immediately know if your hand is in the pocket or it is just a tight sleeve... add a watch catching of everything.... anyway, just a slight complaint.

Once on you don't even know you are wearing a body protector. If it is cool/cold outside, the pads are a little stiff at first. But they warm up quickly and once warm you can move around without feeling restricted at all.

Because the pads shape to the body and the compression fit shirt can then hold the pads tighter to the body, nothing moves around on the body, yet nothing feels restrictive because the pads move with the body. The pads are well vented which I noticed both while getting dressed (brrrr) and while riding.

The back pad (IMO) is a good size for a good amount of protection. I almost always carry a Kriega R20 with the optional back protector insert So I am doubly covered, although I really don't think it is necessary. Both the shoulder and the elbow pads are large but because they mold to and move with your body... they are not awkward.

The chest protector... well... I think Leatt missed an opportunity here. As I have mentioned a few times, the 3DF pads mold to and move with the body so they are way less restrictive to movement than any other armor I have used. Add to that the perforations to keep you cool and... well, I can sing the praises all day long. So why didn't Leatt extend the lower sides of the chest pads?

You can see in this photo that the lower part of the chest pads taper in. it should taper out... extending about 3-4 inches more to each side. (I would be ok with even 2-3 inches wider on each side. Looking at that same photo: I also think the shoulder pads could have been extended forward a couple more inches (right down to the zipper area) and the sternum pad should have been extended out to the sides to meet the shoulder pads. This frontal armpit area is one that all (all that I have seen) body protector suits leave open... because hard pads are bulky and don't flex I have understood why and haven't really thought about it. But the 3DF pads are much less bulky and do flex. Even a single layer of the 3DF padding here would be nice.

I spent two days riding slower more technical trails in Baja with my new Airfit and loved every moment.

The Airfit is noticeably cooler than the other body protector I have used in recent years (three others in the last 4 years) and it moves with the body better than other suits. I know I have mentioned the ease of movement a few times... but ease of movement equals less fatigue. Noticeably less fatigue. The absence of a kidney belt was not a big deal, presumably because on the compression nature of the shirt overall... although I still think it would be nice to have one as part of the unit... I did notice how much cooler I was on the bike, a testament to how well the perforations work. It was a good thing I brought a windbreaker because I used it for a lot of the day(s) when I normally don't need one.

So... in the end... I think Leatt missed a couple opportunities here with the Airfit, but over all it is a really good piece of safety equipment and it is the one I will be wearing and recommending for the foreseeable future.

Thanks to the guys at Solomotoparts for the recomendation and for the great service!

traveltoad screwed with this post 12-16-2013 at 05:13 PM
Old 12-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #28
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 694
Quote:
Well I don't have the Leatt, but I use my Acerbis Koerta like this all the time.
Once you know the drill for getting out of it, it only adds about 60 seconds to an undress if you are planning an "off the bike" moment.

Biggest problem I have is storing it when it is off the bike.

I think it offers more protection, as there would be less movement of the armour (than the pads in the jacket) in a crash.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #29
steveWFL
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,349
I'm considering ordering one too....
'99 ZX9R - because I like the other one so much
'08 ZZR600 minty
steveWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:19 AM   #30
traveltoad OP
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveWFL View Post
I'm considering ordering one too....
You really should... the Airfit is fantastic! Sure I have a couple picky comments but it would be very difficult for me to go back to a regular body protector with hard pads.