Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #31
Hootowl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Traveltoad;
Thanks for the well written review
I'm disappointed that the rib protection wasn't improved over the previous version
Richard

'07 990A
Parting '98 1100GS. Need Anything?
Hootowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:41 PM   #32
traveltoad OP
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootowl View Post
Traveltoad;
Thanks for the well written review
I'm disappointed that the rib protection wasn't improved over the previous version
Richard
It's still a great piece of equipment... but I agree that they could have added more to the chest area.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #33
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,291
Traveltoad, thanks!

A few questions, if I may. Since I recently had a pretty violent get-off and pretty much ruined a collarbone and also a rib or two, I'm paying more attention, especially for rib protection. My current armor doesn't have any rib protection at all.

I'm now looking at the Leatt Chest Protector 5.5 Pro and also the Airlift. The 5.5 Pro has rib protection. Sounds like the Airlift doesn't have much?

How would you compare the two (just looking at photos of the 5.5) in protection level?

Thanks!
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #34
traveltoad OP
Aaron S

It looks like on the 5.5 Leatt added pads to the side straps giving pretty much 360 degree rib protection. I can't tell how far down the torso the 5.5 goes... but it does seem to offer good rib protection.

I'll stick with my 3DF though because of the superior comfort.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #35
AZR
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Would this offer any abrasion protection in an on-road crash? This seems like a great option, but I usually ride pavement to the trails. Would the hard plastic armor be a better choice?
AZR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:47 PM   #36
traveltoad OP
Aaron S

IMO none of the body protectors (soft or hard pads) offer any significant abrasion protection. You would need to add some sort of jacket over to get it.

Now... that said, I think there are a lot of jackets out there there offer decent abrasion protection but have lower end pads to keep the price down. Because you would already have really good impact protection from the body suit you could get one of these lower priced jackets, take out what ever pads come with it and you would have a pretty sweet set up.

Maybe a jacket something like this Tour Master Saber or this Joe Rocket Atomic 4.0. Depending on how much abrasion protection you want, you could probably even get away with a closeout jacket like this Moose Racing Expedition Jacket.

traveltoad screwed with this post 12-19-2013 at 12:58 PM
Old 12-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #37
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
IMO none of the body protectors (soft or hard pads) offer any significant abrasion protection. You would need to add some sort of jacket over to get it.
Think this from SPIDI is the only (?) exception: http://www.spidi.com/eu/eu_en/textil...ech-armor.html
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #38
traveltoad OP
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingvin View Post
Think this from SPIDI is the only (?) exception: http://www.spidi.com/eu/eu_en/textil...ech-armor.html
But now you are talking full armor jackets... which is a whole difference animal.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:38 AM   #39
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 677
I tried the new Leatt protector but as I was a bit too large for it, I had to return it. I went with the Forcefield Pro shirt.
DoD#1458 | GaijinRiders | 2010 KTM 690 Enduro
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:55 AM   #40
CrashTheDOG
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
sizing

Traveltoad, thanks for the review. Would you mind providing some reference on sizing?
CrashTheDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 02:35 PM   #41
traveltoad OP
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheDOG View Post
Traveltoad, thanks for the review. Would you mind providing some reference on sizing?
I am 6'0" 195#.
Old 12-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #42
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,291
Thanks for the info Travel Toad!
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:37 PM   #43
NSFW
ktm's "the tourist"

Oddometer: 15,818
thanks aaron for the thread. good info.

i have the older version (beige color) and like it. this should be my next purchase.
NSFW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:36 AM   #44
WHYNOWTHEN
where are the pedals?

Oddometer: 560
Do you still wear an undershirt? Does frequent washing affect the padding?
Old 12-24-2013, 11:49 AM   #45
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,154
Well I think I've found what I was looking for. Thanks for all the good info. As some of you guys know, I'm a goon at 6'7" and ~230lbs- think this will work?

I've been looking for some form of compression suit for a long time now. My usual desert gear is a BMW Rally 2 Pro that I really like- the darn thing was practically tailored for me the way the armor fits- but I'd like something a bit more lightweight for just simple trail riding, and also am lacking a chest protector. And despite the knee armor being second to none, my busted up junk has required the addition of the Asterisks, so as I'm piece by piece pulling parts away from the original suit, or filling in gaps, this looks like a god choice.

Seeing as I use the Leatt neck brace (saved my bacon a number of times), and a recent article I read by Dirt Rider about how Leatt does testing, I'm going to assume that Dr. Leatt won't put his name on crap.

I also really like the analogy of getting a "disposable" jacket for the outer abrasion layer, and then this for the important work.