Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #61
captwheel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Traveltoad what size did you get? I am 6' about 255 lb. Do you think the 2x would fit?

Cheers, Phil
captwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:18 PM   #62
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by captwheel View Post
Traveltoad what size did you get? I am 6' about 255 lb. Do you think the 2x would fit?

Cheers, Phil
I can tell you later this week Phil. I have a 2X inbound to me right now. I'm 6'3 and around 230.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:24 AM   #63
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
I can tell you later this week Phil. I have a 2X inbound to me right now. I'm 6'3 and around 230.
Looking forward to your feedback on the larger sizing Yeti.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #64
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
Looking forward to your feedback on the larger sizing Yeti.
It's on it's way to me as I type. I'll get fitting info up as soon as it gets here.

Then I'll be heading out to the desert on the 11th to give it a good riding test!
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 01-04-2014, 03:28 PM   #65
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Well, I think I've decided to go with the 5.5 HD Pro cause I need/want the extra rib protection. When I get it I'll post a short review here, so others can have a comparison.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:17 PM   #66
TwoWheelsGood
Four Wheels Bad

Oddometer: 770
Very timely review, thanks.

I've had a Leatt since '07 and a Tekvest for a couple years. Both saved me from serious injury in a get off last Feb but I'm looking for something different. The Tekvest is very protective but the combination of the Tekvest + Leatt can be a PITA with regards to jackets, taking layers on, off, etc.

So...
  1. Looking forward to a comparison between the Airlift and 5.5 HD. The Tekvest has awesome chest and rib protection, will be hard to give that up.
  2. Any pics of either of these worn under a jersey with Leatt on top?
  3. Any feedback on this BraceOn dealio? My current "order" of dress is running shirt, jersey, Leatt, then Tekvest, with the Leatt fitting under the front and back of the vest, so I'm not familiar with how this system works.

Thanks in advance,

Rich
TwoWheelsGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #67
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ View Post
Well, I think I've decided to go with the 5.5 HD Pro cause I need/want the extra rib protection. When I get it I'll post a short review here, so others can have a comparison.
+1. I'm looking at this vest also. Looking forward to the review.
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:58 PM   #68
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

A box just got dropped off in my office.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:09 PM   #69
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stamp View Post
+1. I'm looking at this vest also. Looking forward to the review.
5.5 HD Pro ordered, but no confirmation delivery date yet. Looks like it is being dropped shipped either direct from Leatt or from a distributor.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #70
traveltoad OP
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
A box just got dropped off in my office.
OOOoooooo....
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:27 PM   #71
BaronVonDarrin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 550
hi,

I wrote a review here of the first 3df protector (the gray version). Have you owned that one and could you tell me if it would be worth it to invest in this one to gain the perforated armor? Honestly that was my only significant complaint about the other protector and it worked very well at keeping me cool.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #72
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Big Dude Fit Test

I have now tried the Leatt 3DF Airlift on. I got a size 2XL on the recommendation of Brian at Atomic Moto. LINK

Although I am generally known for having a body builder's physique with chiseled abs, a massive chest and burly biceps the holidays have not been kind to me. Somehow my chest and arms have all fallen prey to gravity and ended up in my gut.

What this means is that I now better fit the typical ADV'er physical profile.

I am 6'3" and weighed 240 this morning. I wear a 46 Long suit jacket and 17 1/2" x 35 dress shirt. I like long walks on the beach and . . . oh wait, wrong profile. My usual riding jacket is a Klim Badlands Pro in XL and I wear 2XL in all of my moto jerseys. Hopefully that gives you an idea of my size for comparisons sake.

The Cliff Note Version: This thing fits great. Can't wait to ride test it this weekend. Only question will be how things work with the Leatt brace while riding.

The Details: The suit was very easy to put on although I did have to work a bit to get the zipper started over the previously-mentioned fat gut. There is a long curving zipper that opens the suit up for putting it on. There is also an elastic band with a clip which "ties" the chest protector and back protector together. Once the suit is zipped up, you clip the clip and you're done.

Once the suit was zipped and clipped, the fit was very, very comfortable. My current (previous) gear was a Rockgardn Flak-base (L/XL) under my jersey and a Leatt Adventure Body Vest Lite over my jersey. The Flak-base is/was comfortable but the arms have always felt tight to me and leave a lovely fishnet pattern in my skin which takes an hour or two to go away after riding.

I have also owned an Alpinestars Bionic Tech suit and a Thor Impact Rig SE, both in XL or 2XL.

The Leatt Airfit is by far the most comfortable suit I have ever worn. Once on, it was super comfortable with no restrictions in movement. The arms also feel tight enough to keep the armor in place in case of a get off, but not tight enough to cause arm pump or discomfort. The soft armor quickly conforms to your body too.

If you are bigger than me in your chest, there is still room/stretch to go up to (I would estimate) a 48" and maybe even 50" chest. My gut was starting to test things a bit, but it was in no way uncomfortable. The suit felt like it had a built in kidney belt, but was more comfortable than any kidney belt built into a suit I have experienced.

My only question on fit is how well the Leatt will work with it. I have never been able to get a pressure suit to work well with my Leatt, which is a first-generation brace. The suits always seem to "lift" the brace up, causing it to hit my helmet and be uncomfortable. The Leatt Airlift has what Leatt calls the "Brace On flexible neck brace connection." Basically, it is a couple of elastic tabs with rubber reinforcements on either side of the collar that attach over the "wings" on the brace to hold it in place. In my house test, these seems to work a treat and hold the brace in place. The Brace On certainly works on my Adventure Body Vest Light very, very well.

Pictures. Hmmn. I apologize, profusely, for the quality of these pictures. I got home and found out my wife and kid weren't home so I ad to take a couple of selfies. Obviously, I suck at selfies. Oh well, When I ride this weekend I will get better pictures. Please let me know if there's anything in particular you're curious about or want to see pictures of.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #73
Buster714
VP of crash testing

Oddometer: 630
damn dude shut this shit down!

Thanks for the feedback. I had a couple big dudes that were asking, and Leatt wasn't confident with offering feedback so what better advice than the big man to offer the details. I gotta say, I'm surprised it fit that well. You don't look that big for the weight you're posting, and I'm not trying to get a free beer. The guys I was talking to are maybe 6'3"+ 250lbs so we'll see how they do on their own trials. Leatt wasn't confident in the bigger sizing, but you look slim for the weight you listed. Really, you can get me that beer at Shunka's some time.

For me, I love the fit and everything about it. It's just too damn cold right now to give an honst ride report.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:42 PM   #74
Bexlee
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I have both the Leatt protector and the brace. I have worn them together a handful of times. Super comfy but not sure the brace would cover the area the chest plate doesn't. I actually took the chest plates out because being female it was outright weird. Thinking of cutting an old piece of foam from an old leather race suit to fit but haven't got around to it.
Anyone have armoured pants? I have a pr from 2007 I bought from Hein Gericke but they will need replacing and I can't get the same ones. (Wish I could as they are awesome, nice and long too).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bexlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #75
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster714 View Post
damn dude shut this shit down!

Thanks for the feedback. I had a couple big dudes that were asking, and Leatt wasn't confident with offering feedback so what better advice than the big man to offer the details. I gotta say, I'm surprised it fit that well. You don't look that big for the weight you're posting, and I'm not trying to get a free beer. The guys I was talking to are maybe 6'3"+ 250lbs so we'll see how they do on their own trials. Leatt wasn't confident in the bigger sizing, but you look slim for the weight you listed. Really, you can get me that beer at Shunka's some time.

For me, I love the fit and everything about it. It's just too damn cold right now to give an honst ride report.

For me, there didn't seem to be any/much more room in the gut. There was room in the chest area, but not a ton. At 6'3" and 250 I predict there may be some fitting issues. The loose jersey hides the gut I've got right now. I make my 1150GS Adventure look small. Seriously.

Here's a shot of me from three weeks ago that better shows my size:

I will be riding with it this Saturday out at McCain Valley so I'll have a good report after that.