User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #76
Bexlee
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Leatt neck brace and Leatt 3DF body protector

I have used my Leatt brace and armour body suit inconjunction with each other, awesome combination, very comfortable but I had to take the chest plate out as I'm a woman and its a bit of a weird uncomfortable fit (go figure!). I've been thinking about replacing it with a softer foam cut to shape from an old back protector out of one of bits of gear but havent got around to it yet.
I really wish they would make these for women, its long enough in the torso but cut for a man so it doesnt fit properly and wants to ride off my hips and sit at my waist (which on a women is higher as y'all know).
BTW does anyone have the shorts?
Any other women out there that has the same problem?
I shall battle on and hope they make the new version in a womens cut.
Either them or Forcefield. I like the look of their gear too but the leggings look a little short. I'm 34" inside seam.
Bexlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:49 PM   #77
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 513
5.5 HD Pro

Received my 5.5 HD Pro today. Dry run inside the house only so far, but I like it. I'm a big guy so I ordered the XXL based on Leatt sizing chart and the fit seems good. I would think if you are towards the upper end of their size range it might not fit all that we'll. The XXL range per Leatt, is 210 lbs to 286 lbs. I'm 220 lbs so low middle of their range.

The rib protection is nice, it measures approximately 7 1/2" tall at a point directly below the arm pit. It tapers in width with the part that attaches to the back brace being the widest and the portion that overlaps the chest protector being the most narrow. There is not a lot of padding under the hard shell of the rib protector, I guess so as to not add too much bulk. Speaking of bulk, you definitely notice the thickness of the rib protection with your arms hanging down to your side. In a mock riding position (testing done inside the house) I don't believe I'll notice the rib protectors at all when riding. The rib protectors can be adjusted to accommodate greater or lessor girth.

The shoulder protection is adjustable, too although mine seemed to fit correctly as shipped.

There are adjustable Velcro straps that go over the shoulder/clavicle area connecting the front and back together to adjust once again for greater girth and/or allow for adjustment of the height of where the front and back sit on your chest and back.

The foam under the chest and back hard shell is made from two separate layers, seems like inner layer may be denser than the outer layer...not sure. Both layers are very dense foam, which I see as a good thing protection wise.

Per Leatt's literature the chest and back are tested to meet CE level 2 (highest rating) and the shoulder protection is rated at CE 1.

Notes from the instruction booklet:

- 3DF Airfit foam at front and back (Perforated for air flow)
- 47 Air slots for ventilation

I'll update this report after I have ridden with it on, that may be a while due to winter weather and work :-(.

In other news, I also bought the Leatt H4 Hydration backpack to replace the camel back that I lost last fall while on a trip. Remember I am a big guy; I had to let the Velcro adjustment straps all the way out in order to put the back pack on over the top of the 5.5 pro. It just fits although I'm not sure a neck brace could be worn due to the location of the shoulder straps of the H4...I don't know either way because at this time I do not own a neck brace...yet. If you are much bigger than I am I don't think it would work over the 5.5. I do not like the bladder based solely on look and feel, will update after actual usage.

I also purchased the Leatt 3DF elbow guards since the 5.5 Pro does not incorporate any elbow protection like the shirt style protectors do. They pull on like a sleeve and seem comfortable. I'll let you know if my opinion changes after riding with them. The elbow guards do not have a hard plastic shell, but the 3DF foam is so dense it feels like it has a hard shell. Not uncomfortable, just feels confident inspiring since gives you the feeling your elbow area is well protected. I don't think a plastic shell would add any practical benefit on these elbow guards.

I'm thinking the 5.5 will be my off road protection for hard core trail riding, and later I may get the 3DF Airfit to wear in really hot weather and for use on more road oriented dual sport rides. Time will tell...

OKDQ screwed with this post 01-10-2014 at 05:55 PM
OKDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #78
SR1
I'm a Seoul Man...

Oddometer: 4,291
OKDQ, thanks for the review. I'll be getting one later this Spring.
My TAT trip will hopefully bring more attention to the need for more Cancer Research! Please go to http://www.gofundme.com/bxkt74 and check it out! No money goes to me or family, all to cancer research! Please donate at the location!!! Thanks!
SR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 11:33 PM   #79
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,112
Leatt 3DF Airlift Body Protector

I am keen on this as upgrade to my acerbis koerta ... , but it may not replace it .. ?

I am just concerned on how it will be in the hot humid sub tropic of south east queensland.

With the koerta i wear a leatt and acerbis desertika ,, when hot and i get off the tar and hit the slower dirt i often put the jacket in my backpack and just wear the koerta. By itself it breadths well and has the hard plastic which i presume would hold up better in an off.

So l am thinking the leatt 3df would be lighter and more comfortable under a jacket, but will it be cooler in my local cimate ?

And i presume it will always need that abrasion resisant jacket over it ...

stujamur screwed with this post 01-14-2014 at 12:34 AM
stujamur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #80
2Stamp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
OKDQ, thanks for the insight. Interested what your impressions are after a ride. If your weather is like mine though, we both may have to wait!
2006 450EXC
2014 Honda Grom (hers)
2Stamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 12:59 PM   #81
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,317
Comfort, comfort, comfort.

Did I mention comfort? Yes, the Leatt 3DF Airfit Body Protector is the most comfortable body armor I have ever worn. I've owned the A* Bionic, Thor Impact Rig SE, Acerbis Koerta, roost guards, etc. Nothing comes close to being as comfortable as the 3DF.

On my ride last weekend the day started cold, 38 F, and ended very warm at 82 F. (Yes, that's what the San Diego mountains are like in the winter.) In the morning I wore a shell over my gear and was very comfortable. When it got hot and I took the shell off, I was very impressed by how well the armor (and suit) ventilate. This will be my year-round suit.

In the past, I have never been able to get a pressure suit that was worn under my jersey to work well with my Leatt brace. Although it's not quite perfect, it's darn close. The Leatt Brace-On elastic tabs really do their job of holding the brace in place. Very nice. It still seems to shift around a little bit, but it only took me a few minutes to forget my Leatt was there.

Sorry, no pictures since I ended riding solo.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:00 PM   #82
wakewop
Hucker

Oddometer: 678
Hello fellers.

The info you all have provided is fantastic. I want to get the 3df airlift.
I have one question. How durable does it seem to be if you have a getoff in the dirt or gravel? I ride strictly on the trails here in colorado and have put my thor impact rig through its paces. The plastic armor has met rocks and gravel many times. However, I also do not ride with a jersey over the impact rig. I would with the Leatt armor. How well do you think it would hold up for me? From the pics, it seems like the fabric covering the armor would get thrashed in a fall.
wakewop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 04:19 AM   #83
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakewop View Post
Hello fellers.

The info you all have provided is fantastic. I want to get the 3df airlift.
I have one question. How durable does it seem to be if you have a getoff in the dirt or gravel? I ride strictly on the trails here in colorado and have put my thor impact rig through its paces. The plastic armor has met rocks and gravel many times. However, I also do not ride with a jersey over the impact rig. I would with the Leatt armor. How well do you think it would hold up for me? From the pics, it seems like the fabric covering the armor would get thrashed in a fall.
Very good question. I am thinking about buying the Airfit for use in hot weather and would probably wear it the same way you describe, ie exposed.

I suppose only time and use reports from the early adopters will give us that answer. I may end up being one of those that test this aspect of the Airfit out; undecided at the moment whether to get one or not. I will decide once I figure out if my new 5.5 HD Pro gets to hot this summer.
Old 01-22-2014, 05:44 AM   #84
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Good question. I do not know the answer, however I suspect that under a jersey it would hold up very well. I have not crashed hard enough in the dirt to trash a jersey, so as long as the jersey stayed intact, I am confident the armor will as well. It feels very tough and the shirt material feels like it's strong and would give enough to not tear.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 01-22-2014, 09:58 AM   #85
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Good question. I do not know the answer, however I suspect that under a jersey it would hold up very well. I have not crashed hard enough in the dirt to trash a jersey, so as long as the jersey stayed intact, I am confident the armor will as well. It feels very tough and the shirt material feels like it's strong and would give enough to not tear.
I agree with Yeti. It feels very light but surprisingly tough as well. My ONLY recommendation is that DO NOT USE IT WITHOUT A NECKBRACE. I did and I busted my sternum on my first ride. Upper chest area doesn't have any protection because it is designed to be used with a neckbrace. I learned that a bit late.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:22 AM   #86
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
I agree with Yeti. It feels very light but surprisingly tough as well. My ONLY recommendation is that DO NOT USE IT WITHOUT A NECKBRACE. I did and I busted my sternum on my first ride. Upper chest area doesn't have any protection because it is designed to be used with a neckbrace. I learned that a bit late.
I would be interested in more details of how you broke your sternum, did you have a blunt impact with a large object..big tree limb, or did you crash and the impact with the ground cause the break.

If hit the ground, if you know, what part of your body hit first...shoulder??

If you had have had more chest protection at the time is your opinion you would not have suffered the break at all, or that it just may not have been as severe.

Just like to know, so I can try to avoid the same situation someday. I don't have a neck brace, and honestly cannot decide whether to get one or not.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #87
FYYFF
Forever young...

Oddometer: 1,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ View Post
I would be interested in more details of how you broke your sternum, did you have a blunt impact with a large object..big tree limb, or did you crash and the impact with the ground cause the break.

If hit the ground, if you know, what part of your body hit first...shoulder??

If you had have had more chest protection at the time is your opinion you would not have suffered the break at all, or that it just may not have been as severe.

Just like to know, so I can try to avoid the same situation someday. I don't have a neck brace, and honestly cannot decide whether to get one or not.
We were riding Baja1000 tracks on the last weekend of 2013. Deep sand and whoops. Just a typical 990 crash, slowing down on a turn, front end dives to right and you go down. I had couple of those in the past. Some of them with out any type of body armor and nothing happened. But this time right tip of handlebar hit me on the sternum, the only spot that is not protected.
But if you ask me if I'd buy it again, YES I would. It still is the most comfortable protection I used on the bike. I just need a neckbrace or at least saw some foam protection on that area.

My Smugmug
Follow me with SPOT
My YouTube
FYYFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #88
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by FYYFF View Post
Good point! There is a rubber piece you remove when you use a neck brace, but I don't think that would offer any protection. You definitely should wear a neck brace with the 3DF Airlift Body Protector. My Adventure Vest has a removable plastic piece that you can re-install if you use it without a neck brace.
Old 01-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #89
OKDQ
Studly Adventurer

This is a cross post I posted in another thread, so you may see this more than once!

I finally got to ride today wearing my new Leatt 5.5 HD Pro. Today's ride was all tight single track at a pretty fast pace (for me ), ambient temp was 66*F. I was wearing a long sleeve synthetic base layer, the 5.5 over that, and a jersey over the 5.5. No jacket.

I never thought about the Leatt at all while I was riding, which means it is very comfortable, which I cannot say the same for other armor I have tried in the past. While taking breaks from riding and sitting on the ground I did notice the top of the rib protector rubbing and putting pressure on the inside of my arm, but I don't plan on doing much sitting while wearing my armor, so no biggie.

I got a little bit warm but I was riding in tight woods most of the time and I didn't feel like I got any hotter than any other time riding in the same circumstances. It would be easy to get substantially more air flow by just removing the jersey and riding with the armor exposed. I'm very pleased I have found something that works well for me. I did not test the actual crash worthiness of the Leatt today, but I could have used a knee brace...my front tire dug in in a sandy corner and I went over the right side and my foot was trapped by the bike and I tweaked my knee a little, but no hit on the upper body armor!

One thing I was not as happy with was the Leatt 3DF elbow guards. About mid-way thru the ride I noticed I could feel the left elbow guard "jiggling." When I stopped for the day the elbow guard had slid down my arm, leaving my elbow exposed. The right armor did stay in place tho. I wore the armor over the top of my base layer sleeve, next time I'll try wearing it next to my skin and see if it stays in place better. If not, I apparently ordered too big, which sucks as they aren't cheap.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:32 AM   #90
pingvin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKDQ View Post
One thing I was not as happy with was the Leatt 3DF elbow guards. About mid-way thru the ride I noticed I could feel the left elbow guard "jiggling." When I stopped for the day the elbow guard had slid down my arm, leaving my elbow exposed. The right armor did stay in place tho. I wore the armor over the top of my base layer sleeve, next time I'll try wearing it next to my skin and see if it stays in place better. If not, I apparently ordered too big, which sucks as they aren't cheap.
Experienced the same when wearing technical underwear but problem solved when wearing next to my skin.
1981 Husqvarna 420 AE
pingvin is offline   Reply With Quote