ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 PM   #1
beemerron OP
machine washable

Oddometer: 2,662
Last year, about this time

I got my RRB Disability claim approved about a year ago. Before that I spent 6 months living out of the back of an old Volvo station wagon in the GPNF. I refused to do the shelter thing.

I got some bucks now that need to be well spent. Gotta a good charity?
beemerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
Motomuffin
CSMC

Oddometer: 539

What a beautiful thing to do
Old 12-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
linkweewee
tantum quantum

Oddometer: 13,812
So many people in need, especially when it's this cold out. I drive to work every morning and wonder about the homeless camping out near our shop. Good on ya dude.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:43 PM   #4
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,004
I use my shop's wholesale buying ability to buy a truckload of spuds for the Mission here each winter.,and the wholesaler delivers them as well.
Salvation Army has the best reputation of getting donations where they are needed and NOT to administrative costs. Some of the others,,not so much.
Do a bit of local research, call around,,maybe find a store that will go in halvsies with you toward a gross of warm socks? The answer is always no,,, if you don't ask.
There was recently a program here to collect warm winter jackets for kids in need, I can't imagine being out in this cold without a decent coat, lots of places to help out. Good attitude Ron.
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,131
Thank You. I've been blessed lately and you guys just gave me the reminder to give back. Dropping coins in the bucket just isn't enough.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #6
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
I use my shop's wholesale buying ability to buy a truckload of spuds for the Mission here each winter.,and the wholesaler delivers them as well.
Salvation Army has the best reputation of getting donations where they are needed and NOT to administrative costs. Some of the others,,not so much.
Do a bit of local research, call around,,maybe find a store that will go in halvsies with you toward a gross of warm socks? The answer is always no,,, if you don't ask.
There was recently a program here to collect warm winter jackets for kids in need, I can't imagine being out in this cold without a decent coat, lots of places to help out. Good attitude Ron.
+1 for Salvation Army and they always have free crutches for me when I am broken, now I just keep a set in the car just in case. I like to buy them a box of apples for the kitchen when I buy one for myself.
Catholic Charities is excellent also, no overhead, and especially now is one of the leads in the Phillipines, a huge job to get them help, they specialize in delivering shelter and clean water , were already there helping out when the hurricane hit.

I get to kill two birds with one stone by giving my wife a list of things that the kids need at the Northwest Childrens Home here in town ( given out at my work) and she gets to go out and shop for several age groups and genders of kids. She loves it, I don't have to take anything back , and I am sure the kids like it too. She works at a grade school during lunch so she knows what is "in" for the kids to wear.

Merry Christmas Peterman, and to all of you with good hearts.

Idarider screwed with this post 12-06-2013 at 10:10 PM
Idarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,738
The Salvation Army is an international church.

Like most churches, it proselytizes a certain set of values that you may or may not agree with, and may wish to research before donating your resources.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
beemerron OP
machine washable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB-PDX View Post
The Salvation Army is an international church.

Like most churches, it proselytizes a certain set of values that you may or may not agree with, and may wish to research before donating your resources.
Sing a hymn and get a biscuit and some soup. They do good work, though.

Today I donated to Portland Shriners Children's Hospital. Beats riding 40 miles down I-5 Saturday morning. BURRR.
I also donated to the Fort Vancouver Library Foundation. When I was camped north of Stevenson, I visited twice a week for Wi-Fi and books (5/week) to keep me somewhat sane.
SHARE Vancouver got some too. They helped with gas vouchers. They shelter the homeless and seem to run on a tight budget.
A brother in need was helped, too. Illegitimi non carborundum, bro.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,738
This is a good thread, and I am glad to see it. I've been homeless and/or broke a few times.

I wasn't trying to stir the pot, just pointing it out that like most organizations, there is the perception, and the real story.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
beemerron OP
machine washable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB-PDX View Post
This is a good thread, and I am glad to see it. I've been homeless and/or broke a few times.

I wasn't trying to stir the pot, just pointing it out that like most organizations, there is the perception, and the real story.
Understood. I got some views that should probably be left to CSM, on that subject.
Old 12-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #11
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,546
beemerron, good for you in donating to some worthy causes. There are a lot of them out there and it's hard to decide where to give time, money, or other types of donations.

I'm fortunate to have a job, warm house and food in the cupboard and sometimes I forget that others aren't as fortunate.

Thanks for the reminder.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #12
$kywalker
what's next?

Oddometer: 156
local food bank

i grew up eating from the thurston county food bank. i donate $ to them when i can. with out that when i was a kid im not sure what my mom would have fed us. too much month at the end of the money. glad things are looking up for you.

luke
$kywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #13
rootsy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Thumb

Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation. Thank you for thinking of others in their time of need. I'm inspired to do the same.
rootsy is online now   Reply With Quote