Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 05:47 AM   #16
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,727
Here's the biggest defect on the bike, imo: Stator replacement. You have to pull the engine to replace the stator, OR you do it the "easy" way like this guy- http://imageevent.com/radicalrags/ka...eplacement?n=0

^ That's the easy way.

The vulcan's engine is overly complex and gets easily left behind by modern engines with a traditional inlet and valve configuration, fi, etc.

The carb removal and replacement isn't a nightmare, but it's a big pain in the arse. If you buy one that's aqing and you don't replace or cream the tank (notorious on 80's jap bikes to age terribly, btw) and get some particles downstream you will be stuck fighting that carburetion.

And then there's the shaft drive maintenance wherein you tear the rear half of the bike apart at periodic mileage or time intervals and lube/reman the shaft and differential or replace the shaft altogether.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=513

I'm not a fan.

There are more reliable and easily serviced bikes at the same price point with similar seating and ergos.

If you can't afford a bike out of the Vulcan 750's price range, you can't afford to own a Vulcan 750 unless you do all your own work and are ok with the downsides, know what you're getting into, and just like the bike.
Love goes a long way toward making difficult repairs okay.

I can rattle off the models of a dozen or so Japanese bikes easier to maintain and familiarly styled in the same price range, just off the top of my head.

But if you know what you want, go get it. Just go in with open eyes.
Old 12-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #17
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,415
If you can't do your own work, it is better to stay away from used bikes altogether.

Yes the Vulcan 750 is overly complicated, it's engine has about twice as many parts as it actually needs. Fortunately most of those parts are very reliable over many miles. My '02 has 85,000 miles on it, and no part of the engine has been apart, other than a clutch replacement. But I take care of and over maintain my bikes.

Carb removal is actually not that difficult, it's putting them back where the real trouble begins.

The driveshaft issue is a problem. If it only had to be done when you replaced the tires, it wouldn't be such a big deal. I do mine every 10,000 miles, and my tires last almost 20,000 miles, so you have to do it once in between tire changes.

I have never had a stator fail, but the way some owners are replacing them is ridiculous. Doing it that way guarantees an engine full of aluminum shavings. That mod actually does work, IF you pull the engine the first time, do the mod (away from the bike) then if the stator fails again, you don't have to pull the engine.

Despite it's issues, the Vulcan 750 is a good bike. I have bought 2 brand new ones. I wouldn't have bought the second one if I had not liked the first one so well, and I sold it with 80,000 miles on it, so I knew it well.

Compared to modern cruisers it has several advantages. It has cast wheels with tubeless tires, a centerstand, full instrumentation, it is EXTREMELY comfortable (you can ride it until you are to exhausted to ride anymore, and still not be in pain) and it easily keeps up with freeway traffic. It will cruise at 80 mph all day, and have no problem doing it. It runs a 12 second quarter mile. It handles better than most of today's cruisers. I have heard that the Yamaha V-Star 950 is not a big enough bike to ride cross country on. The Honda Shadow 750 barely has enough power to get out of it's own way.

The older generation of 750 cruisers, like the Vulcan, the original Shadow, the Suzuki intruder, and the Yamaha Virago, did not have this problem. They were perfectly capable as cross country bikes. They made as much power as many 750cc inline fours. But they did not look or sound like Harleys, and that is what killed them.

While I am still a member of vn750.com, it is not the forum it used to be. It should be renamed howtodestroyyourvn750.com. Most of the members are busy hacking their bikes up. The "earshave" is the most common mod. It involves removing the entire intake system, and using pod filters on the carbs. Gutting the exhaust system is also popular. Then they start crying about why their bikes won't run right. There is still some good information about maintenance and repairs there though.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:53 PM   #18
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH
Carb removal is actually not that difficult, it's putting them back where the real trouble begins.
I seriously brayed like a mule when I read this.

You're a card sometimes, Jerry.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,651
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Believe it or not, the Vulcan 750 is just as much American made as one of those fake Harleys. From 1986 on, it was made at the Kawasaki factory in Lincoln, Nebraska. Yes, most of the parts were made in Japan. But it appears that most of the POS Harley parts will be made in India. I would rather have Japanese parts over Indian made parts anyday. The "Street" will basically be a Royal Enfield assembled in the U.S. Except that the RE looks better.
WTF? Where is DAKEZ when you need him?
2012 Dong Fang DF250RTB
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #20
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
WTF? Where is DAKEZ when you need him?
Same thing I wondered when I read his response.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:21 PM   #21
andymach23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Sounds like a solid bike.

What's with the name though? Vulcan? Is this a Star Trek reference?
andymach23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #22
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by andymach23 View Post
Sounds like a solid bike.

What's with the name though? Vulcan? Is this a Star Trek reference?
It's a name from Roman mythology. Star Trek pirated it too. But it's a good bike no matter where the name came from. Do you know what Virago means?
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:43 AM   #23
andymach23
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
No, but I just looked it up.

"a domineering, violent, or bad-tempered woman"

I had a 535 Virago years ago. Not sure if that description fitted it exactly but it was a nice machine.
andymach23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:21 AM   #24
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Have a friend who has one. PO did a lot of burnouts and quick launches. As a result, the driveshaft/rear only lasted my friend a few hundred miles. Outrageously expensive to locate parts and repair. But, he did it and loves everything about the bike.
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #25
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,298
Even by modern standards, it makes better than average power for the type of bike it is.
I do remember them having issues, and some times catastrophic failures with the hydraulic valve adjusters on some of the early ones. There were a few updates/recalls by Kawasaki early on. But the bike stayed in production for quite a few years, so that stuff got sorted on later ones.
I also know a couple of guys with huge mileage on theirs with no worries or problems of any kind. So look for the latest model you can find.
One guy used to ride his with us when we all rode sport bikes. The seemed to not only handle the excess speed, but thrive on it.
It is a Kawasaki after all.
So if it's got lots of miles on it, it's probably been looked after and nothing to worry about. I would be more concerned about something with low miles that's been sitting for a long time.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #26
kraven
Hegelian Scum

There are literally dozens of bikes in my brain I'd put in line ahead of the VN750, and they're generally in the same price range.

VN750 do anything so well as to justify the white knuckle anticipation of component failure that comes free with each purchase.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #27
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,530
As soon as I saw the th'd title I knew it would not disappoint.

Just incase the OP was being serious and not stinky troll bait...listen to Kraven, laugh at Jerry.

Sent from my 'Droid using Boogerhook
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #28
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
Just incase the OP was being serious and not stinky troll bait...
I figured it's stinky, but people dig up these trolls in searches. It'd be a shame for some inmate to get stuck with one of these.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:38 PM   #29
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
I figured it's stinky, but people dig up these trolls in searches. It'd be a shame for some inmate to get stuck with one of these.
It's been a long while since I was exposed to a Vulcan in the wild, but in high school a buddy rode a Virago 750...yeah it was named accurately.
About the best thing that could be said about it was "well, atleast it's not a Harley"...

What about a Yamaha Maxim if that type of bike appeals? No hydraulic lifters...but between a Vulcan & Virago...

Sent from my 'Droid using Boogerhook
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #30
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Yeah, man.

Suzuki GS's, Kawi GPz, Honda Nighthawk/CX/GL, Yamaha XJ, FJ, and XS, and even BMW K or R bikes are all better contemporaries from that era.