Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #31
yukonjon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
My wife had a 92 Vulcan when I met her. It immediately became my project bike. She paid 750$ for it from a friend and I feel that's what it was worth at the time (2009).

When the bike ran I absolutely loved it. Had decent power, fairly comfortable, similar handling to a sportster I had and it made my wife happy.

Unfortunately there always seemed to be a problem that was a pain in the a$$. As soon as I would get something fixed another thing would break. The bike was old but it only had 20K on it.

I had the dreaded stator failure. Pulled the eng to fix that. PITA

When I pulled the eng I went ahead and cut off the intake and did the ear shave mod. (pod filters on the carbs). Made it much easier to work on but did have to rejet and tune it for a while. The carbs are a pain to install.

Then I had the rectifier/regulator fail. Replaced that and removed the goats belly; the HOT catalytic convertor under the regulator. This is a known problem and a lot of people removed the goats belly or reposition the regulator.

Also had the gas tank problem and had to cream the tank for rust issues.

The bike would also die if you filled up the tank and drove for a bit. POOGS; phantom out of gas syndrome. The tank didn't vent properly and would basically vapor lock it until you opened the filler.

Went to replace the rear wheel and found out that I had one of the bikes that never had the final drive greased at the factory. Look up the final drive failures and if you can look at this before you buy the bike you will be better off. It can be very expensive it the gears are worn.

Last and final straw I had was when the internal gear shifter broke. Very rare but I was done with it when I had to pull the motor and tear it down to replace the shaft. Like other have said, the motor has way too many pieces, parts are getting harder to find, and I'm just not sure that the reliability issues I've experienced are worth it when there is better bikes out there.

I'm sure there are many people that will disagree and tell you its a great bike. Like I said, I really enjoyed it whenever I didn't have to work on it. But it became a time consuming toy and I traded it for a couple guns a few months ago and bough my wife a vstrom. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

If you do want more info check out vn750.com. Good bit of info and there is a page of nothing but maintenance but I think you have to be a member to see all that. Best of luck with your decision!
yukonjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #32
AlanCT
The Byronic Man

Oddometer: 3,203
I had one for about two years. Mine had some carb issues (due to prior abuse and neglect before I owned it) and was hard to work on.

It was a competent bike, but I never really bonded with it.
IBA #23064
AlanCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:15 PM   #33
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 3,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
Yeah, man.

Suzuki GS's, Kawi GPz, Honda Nighthawk/CX/GL, Yamaha XJ, FJ, and XS, and even BMW K or R bikes are all better contemporaries from that era.
Not a single one of those are cruisers. How can they be better if you want a cruiser. That's like saying a minivan is better to someone who wants a truck. As for the Virago, the dual shock ones were as good if not better than the Vulcan. They were a lot less complex, and still very reliable and comfortable. I would probably have bought one instead of my '02 Vulcan, but by then Yamaha had stopped making them, and replaced them with the substantially inferior V-Stars.

In fact, I would suggest looking at a Virago before buying a Vulcan.

EDIT: Doing the "earshave" and removing the "goats belly" are 2 MAJOR MISTAKES many Vulcan 750 owners make. The "goats belly" is NOT a catalytic converter, it is a balancing chamber. This bike was highly tuned from the factory, and the intake and exhaust system were part of the tuning. When you try to redesign things, you cause running and reliability problems, and shorten the life of the engine. Yes, the splines do have to be lubed every 10,000 miles, and yes, some of them didn't get done right at the factory. Kawasaki is well known for not correcting things when they show up. I did a spline lube on mine a week after bring it home new. Splines were completely dry. I already knew about the problem. But these are not unreliable bikes IF they are maintained. I have over 85,000 miles on my '02, and the only thing I ever had to do was replace the automatic cam chain tensioners with manual tensioners at about 15,000 miles. The problem with buying any used bike is that you don't know how it was treated by the PO.

JerryH screwed with this post 12-08-2013 at 06:29 PM
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:44 PM   #34
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,429
Quote:
Not a single one of those are cruisers. How can they be better if you want a cruiser.
Because you can put on a set of forward controls, apes, and lower a seat easier than you can change the stator in your bike.
Old 12-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #35
MacMcMacmac
Seahorse Farrier

Oddometer: 108
As long as any XJ you buy doesn't have a starter clutch problem.

Worst repair I ever undertook. On a Turbo, no less.
MacMcMacmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #36
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,525
Yamaha Maxim's not a "cruiser"?
Oh Jerry...you be silly

There were plenty of "specials" from the factory with sissy bar seats & kicked out rake & trail. Either in air cooled XJ750 or liquid XJ750X flavours.
A Maxim-X is kicking out close to 100hp though...not too mention the raked out ergo's of mid controls...

Crap...he hooked me again...damn!

Sent from my 'Droid using Boogerhook
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #37
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 3,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
Yamaha Maxim's not a "cruiser"?
Oh Jerry...you be silly

There were plenty of "specials" from the factory with sissy bar seats & kicked out rake & trail. Either in air cooled XJ750 or liquid XJ750X flavours.
A Maxim-X is kicking out close to 100hp though...not too mention the raked out ergo's of mid controls...

Yes, any Maxim is a cruiser, as well as any Special. They were Japanese cruisers, with inline fours or parallel twins. The first year Maxim 650 was the best of the Maxim series, it was designed from the ground up. The rest were restyled Specials. The original Maxim 650 had tons of power, more than twice what a V-Star 650 has. The later Seca 650 sportbike had the same engine.

This type of cruiser is what I think the Japanese should be making today. Then there would be choices in the cruiser world, and there wouldn't be all this talk about Harley copies.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #38
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:

It's like the mob.
Old 12-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #39
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,020
I think Jerry has a point.

It seems to me there is some change to Japanese designs over time that, for lack of a better term, I will call the "pussification of the Japanese motorcycle". What Japan has done in the cruiser market is a glaring example. The old "specials" and "customs" did make significantly more power than the modern v-twins. Has anyone ridden a cruiser faster than a Magna V-65 lately? Maybe an M109R, perhaps a V-Rod, IDK - but mostly the modern bikes are slower, and often worse handling, than the old ones. Let me tell ya, you can get down a curvy road pretty quick on a Virago. I used to lust after the Virago 1100 all the time, but the 1100 V-Star that replaced was very much inferior in my opinion.

I also wonder if we aren't see the "pussification" effect again with the Honda CB1100. Nice bike, absolutely gorgeous, reasonably good performance - but the old CB1100 would eat it's lunch.

And there is the new FZ-09 (aka MT-09) from Yamaha - it's definitely a hooligan and has to be an absolute blast to ride. It's probably even faster than the FZ8 it replaces - but I think the FZ8 may have higher quality suspension and brakes, and better fit and finish. I suspect it will not be long before lots of people are lamenting the loss of the FZ8 - myself included.

Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #40
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 830
You seem to have trouble understanding where hp comes from, it is a result of torque. Modern cruisers make tons of torque down low, you don't have to rev them, and that is perfectly fine for the intended use. That is what cruiser customers wanted, engines that made low end torque for lazy cruising, get it in the overdrive gear and just ride the torque.

The CB1100? Honda knows how to make powerful bikes, Honda knows you need liquid cooling to make big hp while keeping the engine from chewing itself. They can get 160hp from the CBR1000RR, but an aircooled engine, that requires lose tolerances and a ridiculously lean tune to meet emissions is going to melt a piston, if it doesnt seize first, if you try to get it to make that much power and ride it in the city traffic. They built a fun to ride bike with a very wide powerband, and if you can't have fun on a CB1100, then it means you don't know how to ride.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #41
Monkeyshines
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Yes, any Maxim is a cruiser, as well as any Special. They were Japanese cruisers, with inline fours or parallel twins. The first year Maxim 650 was the best of the Maxim series, it was designed from the ground up. The rest were restyled Specials. The original Maxim 650 had tons of power, more than twice what a V-Star 650 has. The later Seca 650 sportbike had the same engine.

This type of cruiser is what I think the Japanese should be making today. Then there would be choices in the cruiser world, and there wouldn't be all this talk about Harley copies.
with jap cruisers you're in your element jerry. and I agree 99%(withholding one point for your body of work)
inline four cruisers were cool, and original. seriously I think cornball retro is trending gone. even in autos, even at Harley for that matter.
Monkeyshines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #42
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
...but his hair covers it nicely.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #43
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,020
actually, the old superbikes from the 80's like the GS1100ES and the GPZ1100 were running sub 11 second quarter miles, and they were air cooled.

Walk with the wise and become wise,
for a companion of fools suffers harm. Proverbs 13:20
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #44
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post

It's like the mob.
Every now & then when I see one I think it would be cool to have an old XJ or Seca as a daily rider and keep something else as an occasional hooligan ride. I guess if you grew up with them, they just look like a no BS bike.

Radian with a top box would do nicely too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post

It seems to me there is some change to Japanese designs over time that, for lack of a better term, I will call the "pussification of the Japanese motorcycle".
It's called making something as bad as a Hardley Ableson!
Apparently that's something that N.American rollers (rollers, not riders) want.

The M109 is a bit of a beast. Pretty sure it could take a V-Rod in a straight line, and if not it would be close. And still be able to hustle through decent roads more than you'd think.
A Japanese Diavel mayhap?

Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #45
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Every now & then when I see one I think it would be cool to have an old XJ or Seca as a daily rider and keep something else as an occasional hooligan ride. I guess if you grew up with them, they just look like a no BS bike.

Radian with a top box would do nicely too.
Yeah, I had a Radian last year as a salt bike that I regret selling. It was a nice solid bike, even with the finish getting rough on some parts.

I'm with you on having one for a rider. It's nice to keep an old rough hewn carb'ed air-cooled 4 around for kicks. The warm up times, sound, fury, and feel are all very nostalgic if you grew up when they were new.