Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #46
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Oddometer: 1,268
I picked up a GS1100E a few years back and enjoyed it, although briefly.

I made the mistake of buying it in a fairly dark garage and it turned into way more work than I expected, but hey I only paid 700 bucks for it.

The last one I had ridden was in about 1989 and I remember so vividly breaking the back tire loose on asphalt by accident. I think it was the first time I'd ever experienced that, and I was all hooollly shit!

Hank.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #47
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
I picked up a GS1100E a few years back and enjoyed it, although briefly.

I made the mistake of buying it in a fairly dark garage and it turned into way more work than I expected, but hey I only paid 700 bucks for it.

The last one I had ridden was in about 1989 and I remember so vividly breaking the back tire loose on asphalt by accident. I think it was the first time I'd ever experienced that, and I was all hooollly shit!

The GSE is the neutered, domesticated version of the bike we are chatting about...but I'll give you a pass because of your Vizla ;)

In a perfect world of my own creating, I ride a XJ750X Maxim to work, have a Diavel for weekend hooligan overnighters, and come home every night to a happy Viszla that hasn't pissed or shit on the first available carpet and has a rock solid, never fail recall.

Sigh, one can dream...

Sent from my 'Droid using Boogerhook
Dilligaf0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:08 PM   #48
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oh and a Kerker slipon is the epotame of PO sins...one must replace that shit with a full system at the earliest opportunity!

Old 12-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #49
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,420
A Kerker from back in the '80s was 10 times better than a new two bros POS beer can pipe. I'm not into aftermarket exhausts, but an older race mechanic on another forum says he is unaware of any company that builds even a halfway decent exhaust system today. Every one I've seen always seems to be all dinged up, and/or has rivets falling out. That does not seem to apply to a lot of cruiser systems. I've seen some really nice, heavy, well made ones.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:35 PM   #50
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
Oh and a Kerker slipon is the epotame of PO sins...one must replace that shit with a full system at the earliest opportunity!

That is a full system as they came with a 4-2 setup that was not able to have a slipon added. The ES version was the exact same drivetrain but had a smallish front fairing. Lower handlebars and 2 tone paintscheme.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #51
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
That is a full system as they came with a 4-2 setup that was not able to have a slipon added. The ES version was the exact same drivetrain but had a smallish front fairing. Lower handlebars and 2 tone paintscheme.
Yep, and yep. The 1100E (or ES) is a great 80s bike. If I found another one in similar condition for similar money I'd probably have to buy it.

And my Vizsla is a total spaz, but a pretty good dog.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #52
studad OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 748
So it sounds like pretty much everybody agrees that the vulvan 750 is kind of a piece compared to some of its competitors of the era? I thought I'd heard that they were potentially a great cruiser/light tourer. But then here everybody just points out weaknesses and talks air cooled 4cyl?
I'm a little lost.
Is the vulcan a piece of shit or not? I have to say the styling is a little 'different' now that I've looked at a few.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #53
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

I had this whole cool post, with pics & debatable arguments over what a full Kerker exhaust was (which yours wasn't)

But I'm on my phone qand my thick thumbs lost it. I'll catch your next GSE though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
And my Vizsla is a total spaz, but a pretty good dog.
All hounds are spaz's, that's what makes them so damn lovable...atleast yours is quiet. For a hound. While he's being a spaz. Damnit where's that axe handle...awwwww aren't you so adorable...okay boy, c'mere...

Fuckin' hounds & 80's bikes...never can get them out of your system despite the bullshit they put you through.

Oh and yeah, Vulcan's were POS's when they were new. Don't tell Jerry though, he already knows. That's why he either has a Honda Rebel or a scooter as an everyday "bike"

Old 12-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #54
waveydavey
happy times!!

Oddometer: 9,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post

I'm not into aftermarket exhausts, but an older race mechanic on another forum says he is unaware of any company that builds even a halfway decent exhaust system today.
Classic JerryH.

If it s on the internet it has to be true.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #55
MiniBike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by studad View Post
So it sounds like pretty much everybody agrees that the vulvan 750 is kind of a piece compared to some of its competitors of the era? I thought I'd heard that they were potentially a great cruiser/light tourer. But then here everybody just points out weaknesses and talks air cooled 4cyl?
I'm a little lost.
Is the vulcan a piece of shit or not? I have to say the styling is a little 'different' now that I've looked at a few.

The 4 cyl crowd may be looking at it from a performance standpoint. Maybe not exactly what your needs are.

If you can get the Vulcan cheap, it'll be a lot of fun. We've pointed out some of the weak links - which all bikes have.

It is kind of an odd looking bike to me, but my friend with one doesn't see it that way? Go figure?

If you get it cheap and like it, you win. If you get it cheap and hate it, sell it and move on. You'll be wiser for the experience.

MiniBike screwed with this post 12-09-2013 at 09:04 PM
MiniBike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:39 PM   #56
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,420
Quote:
I'm a little lost.

The Vulcan 750 is far from a perfect bike, and has several issues. The stock cam chain tensioners are crap, and can destroy the engine if not dealt with. And it has FOUR cam chains. The shift mechanism is weak and easy to break, especially if the bike falls on the left side. The balancer assembly has a tendency to deteriorate, and break a chunk out of the case before you know whats going on. The stator has a tendency to fail, and you have to pull the engine to replace it. The rear final drive splines tend to chew themselves up if not lubricated on a regular basis. Removing and reinstalling the carbs is a real PITA. Even the tool box door behind the seat is designed to break off.

Having said all that, I have bought two brand new ones, and have a total of over 160,000 miles on them. Only problems I've had so far were the cam chain tensioners (which can be fixed permanently by replacing them with manual tensioners), one tool box door broke off, I replaced it and have not used it since, replaced one set of clutch plates, and recently had to remove the carbs for a good cleaning and some minor repair. These carbs seem to be very sensitive to ethanol gas. Oh yeah, I have also had to rebuild the petcock about 3 times on the second bike, again due to ethanol damage (the rubber parts melted)

Knowing what I know now, I would buy another new one, but probably not a used one. If the PO did not know about all these issues, and deal with them, the bike may have serious damage because of that. You can check some of it (listen for cam chain noise, check to see if it is charging, listen for a grinding noise near the bottom left front of the engine, etc. Unfortunately you have to pull the rear wheel and gearcase to get a look at the drive splines.

Overall it's been a great bike (for me) and over the years people have found ways to deal with it's problems. But I still see a lot of new owners of used bikes show up on vn750.com with lots of problems.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:57 AM   #57
Hank.SD
Jet Measurer

Quote:
I had this whole cool post, with pics & debatable arguments over what a full Kerker exhaust was (which yours wasn't)

But I'm on my phone qand my thick thumbs lost it. I'll catch your next GSE though!
OK... Now you've got me all curious,. Which part of a full system was that 4 into 1 missing?

Sent from my Pocket Altair 8800
Old 12-10-2013, 04:10 AM   #58
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,729
Quote:

Fuckin' hounds & 80's bikes...never can get them out of your system despite the bullshit they put you through.

So true.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #59
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
I'm a little lost.
Consensus is:

Everybody: There were better bikes out there.

JerryH: There were bikes and there was the Vulcan 750.

Seriously, it's old, it's overly complicated, it is a Kawasaki and features Kawasaki's exclusive bean counter bonehead engineering "features" and refusal to accep they screwed up. You know, BMW always refuses to accept any design flaws and blames the users for any malfunction, but they do redesign the parts... Kawasaki just keeps happily making the same flawed parts for 20 years.

I'm on my 3rd Kawasaki and it's the same with all of them, the cost cutting is quite evident.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #60
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,685
same with Suzuki...

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote