Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #91
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Oddometer: 4,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
OK, sport bikes do not work for ME. But it seems to be that most think they are fine for almost everybody, while cruisers are uncomfortable for everybody. Cruisers outsell sport bikes big time in the U.S. Somebody besides me must like them. I'm certainly not buying all those cruisers. Someone also posted several months ago that this site is "anti-cruiser" If so that means it is ignoring the largest selling segment of motorcycles in the U.S. Now if this were an adventure bike only site, I could deal with that. But why include street bikes, then ignore the most popular type of streetbike. Oh, I forgot about the Yamaha Bolt. It does seem like there is one cruiser here almost everybody likes. But I'd like to see how far someone has ridden one. How about a cross country ride report on a Bolt.

Since you couldn't let it go.

I am going to try and help you on some of your questions.

What you fail to understand, nobody but you think that one type of bike fits all.

Cruisers out selling sport bikes have nothing to do with which bike does the job you want it to do.

ADV has always been "anti-cruiser". (here you go...http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861320).
Do you know the History of ADV and why Baldy started it?

99.9 % of the people on this site don't get worked up about a bike they have no intention of buying. Why do you?

TrashCan screwed with this post 12-14-2013 at 10:19 AM
TrashCan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #92
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,232
Quote:
OK, sport bikes do not work for ME. But it seems to be that most think they are fine for almost everybody, while cruisers are uncomfortable for everybody. Cruisers outsell sport bikes big time in the U.S. Somebody besides me must like them. I'm certainly not buying all those cruisers. Someone also posted several months ago that this site is "anti-cruiser" If so that means it is ignoring the largest selling segment of motorcycles in the U.S. Now if this were an adventure bike only site, I could deal with that. But why include street bikes, then ignore the most popular type of streetbike. Oh, I forgot about the Yamaha Bolt. It does seem like there is one cruiser here almost everybody likes. But I'd like to see how far someone has ridden one. How about a cross country ride report on a Bolt.
Probably a third of the cruisers sold are used more as ' fashion accessories ' than motorcycles. Huge majority around here are bar hoppers. Many people buy them because their friends have them, and they want to be part of the cool crowd. Not knocking cruisers, as I know many people who put high miles on their faired cruisers.
The feet forward, weight on butt riding position isn't ideal, as others have mentioned, for long distance riding.
' Best-selling ' doesn't mean ' Most-ridden '.
Ride report on the Bolt wouldn't do you a bit of good, because it's not you riding it. That is not the segment the bike is aimed at anyway.
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #93
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Quote:
If you really want to ride a bike all bent over, with most of your upper body weight supported by your arms and shoulders, and you neck bent all the way back (same as if you were sitting up straight and looking straight up at the sky), and your knees bent completely double, with your toes pointing straight at the ground, go right ahead.

While we are on this posture thing.

All bent over..My back is straight.
Body supported by arms and shoulders...see the bend in the elbows.
Neck bent all the way back, looking at the sky...really.
Knees bent double...Really..
Toes pointed at the ground...really.

Granted I am not 6ft tall and weigh 230 lbs. Others might find this to be uncomfortable, but it damn sure works for me.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #94
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
Nate & Jerry riding a Harley & Vulcan ride report!

Hell I'd kick in for the No Man Left Behind Kickstarter fund, as they repair their bikes & backs all across the nation!

Sent from my 'Droid using Boogerhook
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #95
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Just like I said, your mind can grasp the fact that there are a lot of motorcycles that are neither cruisers nor race replicas...

Do you seriously believe a CB1000F is the same as a CBR 1000RR?

Do you seriously believe a Ninja 1000 is the same as a ZX-10R?

Do you seriously believe a Fazer 1000 is the same as a R1?

And while we are at it...

Do you think a GSX 1250F is the same as a GSX-R 1000?

There you have it, race replicas and street friendly sporty bikes. I really can't understand how your mind can't see the difference between them. CB1000F, Ninja 1000, Fazer 1000 and Bandit 1250, all of them make for awesome light sport tourers, perfect for 1000 mile days, and you seem to believe they are the same as a race replica?

That just goes to show how narrow minded you are. I always thought you truly believed the Vulcan 750 to be the best bike ever made, now I realize you don't, it's just that you are so stubborn you refuse to see past the VN750. 20 years later, the world has turned, yet you're still stuck on that bike.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #96
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrashCan View Post
While we are on this posture thing.

All bent over..My back is straight.
Body supported by arms and shoulders...see the bend in the elbows.
Neck bent all the way back, looking at the sky...really.
Knees bent double...Really..
Toes pointed at the ground...really.

Granted I am not 6ft tall and weigh 230 lbs. Others might find this to be uncomfortable, but it damn sure works for me.

I'm 6'1" and to me that's close to the perfect riding position, quite similar to the ergonomics on my XJR1300 but the pegs on the stock location of the SV are a bit too cramped for me. A bit of forward leans means that your weight is not on your tailbone, and that your spine won't receive a direct hit on every bump. If there is anything I'd change about the XT660R or the Versys 650 is that, I want more forward lean, but I can leave without it as my feet are in a good position to take my weight off the seat... Unlike a cruiser.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #97
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
Nate & Jerry riding a Harley & Vulcan ride report!

Hell I'd kick in for the No Man Left Behind Kickstarter fund, as they repair their bikes & backs all across the nation!
Old 12-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #98
Superzoom
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank.SD View Post
Buckhorn bars and forward controls completely suck monkey balls. That is a statement of fact. That is my version of JerryH. But the real JerryH would say:

I've put 160,000 miles on two vulcans and I'm a mechanic and I really want a Harley but they cost too much and Harley is selling out because they are making a cheaper bike for the masses and Motus is stupid and I can't afford one and only an idiot ever pays more than MSRP for anything and it should be illegal for a dealership to charge more than MSRP and sportbikes are uncomfortable for everyone in the world and that includes C14s and Indian sucks and Polaris is just making a lousy imitation of a Harley and they have no right to the name because the heritage is fake and overhead valves are stupid and I have to take my vulcan shaft drive apart every 10,000 miles and the carb is hard to put back in.

There, that summarizes 3000 posts in about 100 words.
I am stunned that you forgot the tubed tires/center stand axiom!
Superzoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #99
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
This is a car wreck that I just can't take my eyes off of,I knew it after the first post what was going to happen,I knew it,I knew it,I knew it and still I am amazed.

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #100
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,415
Someone will go cross country on a Bolt, if it hasn't been done already. Cruiisers are a bit of an acquired taste. When I first got the Nomad, I found it clumsy and difficult to ride at low speeds. I took it out and practiced with it, and it got better for me. I did one long ride on it (400 miles?). I got thru it, but I was glad to get home... of course it was also an extremely hot day and that didn't help.

My next bike may be a cruiser, and since a potential buyer is driving 5 hours to see my current ride, I am starting to think about what my next bike should be. I'm pretty sure it will NOT be a VN750.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:14 PM   #101
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:

I am going to try and help you on some of your questions.

What you fail to understand, nobody but you think that one type of bike fits all.

Cruisers out selling sport bikes have nothing to do with which bike does the job you want it to do.

ADV has always been "anti-cruiser". (here you go...http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=861320).
Do you know the History of ADV and why Baldy started it?

99.9 % of the people on this site don't get worked up about a bike they have no intention of buying. Why do you?
That is a link to my own thread. No, I do not know the history of this forum, or why it was started? Where do I find out? I do know that it is heavily BMW oriented. But to me, adventure riding means taking pretty much any bike, loading it down with everything it can carry and just a little bit more, and taking off on a long trip to somewhere you have not been before. That can be done on a cruiser, or a scooter, or a Goldwing, though most people seem to equate it with large displacement dual sport bikes. I don't think it would be much fun on an "RR" bike. Well at least it wouldn't be for me. Long distance riding IMO requires comfort above anything else.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #102
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,794
Quote:

Yeah... Jerry couldn't let it go.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #103
TrashCan
Scary Jerry

Quote:
That is a link to my own thread. No, I do not know the history of this forum, or why it was started? Where do I find out? I do know that it is heavily BMW oriented. But to me, adventure riding means taking pretty much any bike, loading it down with everything it can carry and just a little bit more, and taking off on a long trip to somewhere you have not been before. That can be done on a cruiser, or a scooter, or a Goldwing, though most people seem to equate it with large displacement dual sport bikes. I don't think it would be much fun on an "RR" bike. Well at least it wouldn't be for me. Long distance riding IMO requires comfort above anything else.

No one is arguing what constitutes an adventure bike.
What we are talking about is your absolute insistence that any bike that you don't like is terminally flawed.
Did you look at my photo and read your definition of what it looks and feels like to ride that type of bike?

Can you imagine buying the bike you want. A lot of riders do.

I'll have to dig up a couple of history links about ADV.

Old 12-14-2013, 09:52 PM   #104
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,680
Quote:
I'll have to dig up a couple of history links about ADV.
this should make Jerry's head spin a few revolutions

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29723&
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #105
Chief Ten Bears
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:

There is a great, great story/thread in Ride Reports of a member riding his 1199 Panigale all across, and pretty much around the circumference of the US.
Chief Ten Bears is offline   Reply With Quote