Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #106
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Bears View Post
There is a great, great story/thread in Ride Reports of a member riding his 1199 Panigale all across, and pretty much around the circumference of the US.

but not very far at a time, and he spent a long time doing it. That's not the kind of travel JerryH is talking about.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #107
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
but not very far at a time, and he spent a long time doing it. That's not the kind of travel JerryH is talking about.
How many riders do more than 500 miles in a day on ANY bike?
And you're right it's not the kind of travel Jerry was talking about, AntiHero barely puts on any Interstate travel, which would be brutal on a SS.

Almost as beaten up as you'd be doing 500 miles of twisty two lane on any cruiser.

Sent from my 'Droid using Boogerhook
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #108
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
How many riders do more than 500 miles in a day on ANY bike?
And you're right it's not the kind of travel Jerry was talking about, AntiHero barely puts on any Interstate travel, which would be brutal on a SS.

Almost as beaten up as you'd be doing 500 miles of twisty two lane on any cruiser.

I think if I had to do 500 miles on a feet forward cruiser, I would take a large bottle of tylenol with me, and stop alot. Floorboards help, if you can block the wind off your legs - ok if I can block the wind off my legs, that helps even more.

but I wouldn't want to do it on a sportbike, either. this why God gave us trailers.

I did a 900 mile day on a v-strom, once. not fun.

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 12-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #109
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,406
There is also a lot of difference in cruisers. Just like sport type bikes, not all of them are the same. If all you've ridden is a late model cruiser, it probably wasn't very comfortable. Everything is built for style, and cruisers today are designed to include the rider as part of the style, which requires a certain type of riding position to "look cool" at the expense of comfort. I have found that many of today's cruisers have pegs that are too far forward, bars that are too low and too wide, and a wide flat seat that looks like it came off a tractor. '80s cruisers, which is what I have, and all I've ever ridden, are very different. I have never ridden a cruiser designed in the '90s or later.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #110
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
If all you've ridden is a late model cruiser, it probably wasn't very comfortable.
Everything is built for style, and cruisers today are designed to include the rider as part of the style, which requires a certain type of riding position to "look cool" at the expense of comfort.
I have found that many of today's cruisers have pegs that are too far forward, bars that are too low and too wide, and a wide flat seat that looks like it came off a tractor.
'80s cruisers, which is what I have, and all I've ever ridden, are very different.

I have never ridden a cruiser designed in the '90s or later.

you've never ridden a cruiser designed in the '90's or later....yet feel qualified to opine that they aren't comfortable and that the pegs, bars, and seat are all in the wrong place or the wrong shape.

I owned a '06 Roadliner that was extraordinarily comfortable, was very stylish....and also had great brakes and handled pretty well.

Things get better as engineering moves forward...not worse.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #111
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

you've never ridden a cruiser designed in the '90's or later....yet feel qualified to opine that they aren't comfortable and that the pegs, bars, and seat are all in the wrong place or the wrong shape...
And Jerry hooks another one...
If you had become fascinated with the increasingly bizarre posting habits of the Jerry, one would know that jealousy breeds ignorance & contempt. If the Jerry can not have it...it becomes not worth having.

With that line of reasoning, in Jerry World the contemplative thinking man's garage is filled out with a '96 Ranger, a Vulcan, and a shitty scooter. I think he used to have a Virago 250 but there was a conspiracy, so he unloaded it.

That way the Jerry has road going perfection. And hopefully atleast one vehicle that will start, most mornings.

And I rode a Virago 750 for 8 hours & almost 1000km once. Most excruciating ride, EVAH!

Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:05 PM   #112
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,406
Quote:

you've never ridden a cruiser designed in the '90's or later....yet feel qualified to opine that they aren't comfortable and that the pegs, bars, and seat are all in the wrong place or the wrong shape.

I owned a '06 Roadliner that was extraordinarily comfortable, was very stylish....and also had great brakes and handled pretty well.

Wow you sure did a 180. After coming up with about a zillion things you don't like about cruisers, you say you owned a Roadliner (a cruiser) that was extraordinarily comfortable, was very stylish....and also had great brakes and handled pretty well.

While I have never ridden any of the newer cruisers, I have sat on most of them. And so far I have not found anything that comes close to being as comfortable as my Vulcan 750. The Virago probably would, but it's gone too. And both the Vulcan and the Virago are excellent handlers. They are narrow, lightweight, and have standard size 19" front tires, making them very stable on both straight roads and in curves.

Oh, BTW, with cruisers, engineering has moved backwards, not forward. My designed in 1985 Vulcan 750 is an engineering marvel. It has one of the most complex engines ever put in a motorcycle. And it is loaded with features many younger people never even new existed, like, say, something as simple as a centerstand, a tach, an oil light,a fuel gauge and a temp gauge. It even has a gadget that switches the headlight filament from one to the other if one burns out. Oh, and it's faster than a Roadliner.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:04 AM   #113
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Have to agree with Jerry on this one. Engineering doesnt always move forward there are lots of examples where the new model is worse.

GS1150 the bike that popularised adv riding and the GS1200 which popularised carrying spare final drives.

90s sportsbikes are more comfortable than todays ones as a general rule.

The 998 is a work of art, the 999 not so much.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #114
Incredulous
Peanut Gallery

Oddometer: 565
Quote:

Oh, BTW, with cruisers, engineering has moved backwards, not forward. My designed in 1985 Vulcan 750 is an engineering marvel. It has one of the most complex engines ever put in a motorcycle.
Complexity does not always indicate good engineering...

As to the rest of those features you rattled off, they all come on adventure bike these days. That is what you really want, an adventure bike-- you just cannot admit it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
Incredulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #115
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
There is also a lot of difference in cruisers. Just like sport type bikes, not all of them are the same. If all you've ridden is a late model cruiser, it probably wasn't very comfortable. Everything is built for style, and cruisers today are designed to include the rider as part of the style, which requires a certain type of riding position to "look cool" at the expense of comfort. I have found that many of today's cruisers have pegs that are too far forward, bars that are too low and too wide, and a wide flat seat that looks like it came off a tractor. '80s cruisers, which is what I have, and all I've ever ridden, are very different. I have never ridden a cruiser designed in the '90s or later.

hmmm... I think there are probably several good examples of bikes becoming less comfortable in favor of being more stylish. But that is not true in every case. I would say my old Nomad was comfortable, although not the MOST comfortable bike I have had. Some folks liked it better than me. The latest generation Nomad looks to be more comfortable than the last. There are lots of people racking up big miles on Harley FL's, so I assume they are comfortably, while something like a V-Rod looks like a medeival torture device to me.

I am kind of half way seriously considering another bike purchase in the next couple of months. One of the bikes on my short list is the V-Star 1300. It looks pretty comfortable to me, and from what I have seen, it has a lot of motor! although the valves do require inspection and adjustment. It looks like something I could rack up a lot of miles on.

The Stryker, not so much. I love the look and the sound, but I just don't thinks I could live with the feet forward riding position.

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 12-16-2013, 07:23 AM   #116
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 507
I'd pass on it simply because JerryH is a fan of the bike.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:53 AM   #117
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredulous View Post
Complexity does not always indicate good engineering...
He knows this. It's why HD big twins give him such a boner.

The bleeding edge late 70's tech of the Vulcan is no match for the bleeding edge 1930's tech of the Shovelhead.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:34 AM   #118
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,268
I have to agree with some of the style vs. function arguments.I was looking at a Harley sportster roadster at one time and when you compare it to the small tank, 2" travel rear suspension models of today it does make you wonder.
Let me also say though that Harley did add a 5th gear and rubber mounting so that was a big plus in my book.

Solid mounts wear me out in under a 100 miles.Call me what you want

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #119
GoonerYoda
Hot Dickens Cider

Oddometer: 507
Imagine if HD did both rubber mounts and counterbalance on the same bike.
GoonerYoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #120
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,898
Quote:
Wow you sure did a 180. After coming up with about a zillion things you don't like about cruisers, you say you owned a Roadliner (a cruiser) that was extraordinarily comfortable, was very stylish....and also had great brakes and handled pretty well.
You're a complete idiot....dig thru my posts and see where I'M the one that said a zillion things I don't like about cruisers.

Aside from the Roadliner, I put quite a few miles on my '90 FXR-S.

I'm more of a sportbike guy, but have really owned just about one or six of just about everything out there. Sport tourers, pure sportbikes, dual sports large and small, and every type of dirtbike made.

I love bikes, all bikes, and don't really dislike any type or style of bike.
If I were in shopping mode right now, I'd be plopping my hard earned down on a new Indian, without a doubt.

Quote:
Oh, BTW, with cruisers, engineering has moved backwards, not forward. My designed in 1985 Vulcan 750 is an engineering marvel. It has one of the most complex engines ever put in a motorcycle. And it is loaded with features many younger people never even new existed, like, say, something as simple as a centerstand, a tach, an oil light,a fuel gauge and a temp gauge. It even has a gadget that switches the headlight filament from one to the other if one burns out. Oh, and it's faster than a Roadliner.
Engineering has not moved backwards. Use the Roadliner as an example.
Air and oil cooling, two oil pumps....big hp for the type compared to your beloved H-D....and mondo torque. Without liquid cooling.
Seamless fuel injection, a chassis that works and exemplary brakes.

Every Yamaha streetbike made in the late 70's had the filament switching dealio, that was not exotic in the least - and if it had been something worth having - it would remain a feature.

So....your beloved Vulcan 750 is faster than the Roadliner.... I have no problem with that - but it's surprising you're using it as an arguing point.
Aren't you the one who decries speed over the character and feel of a bike?

You'd love to have a stock 55hp H-D and would never do any modifications to it to preserve it's longevity.
Easy to say...until you've pulled out and tried to pass a car

Wouldn't you rather have closer to 90hp and 120 ft/lbs under you in a bike that isn't concerned about being faster than a POS 750 Vulcan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical C View Post
Have to agree with Jerry on this one. Engineering doesnt always move forward there are lots of examples where the new model is worse.

GS1150 the bike that popularised adv riding and the GS1200 which popularised carrying spare final drives.
oilheads are the bikes that started the final drive craze....not the hexheads.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote