User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #61
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,099
Thumb

Brilliant. Thanks for taking the time to put that together.

I've lusted after one of these based on looks alone for several years, but have yet to ride one. Having watched your review, I now know what to pay attention to when the time finally comes instead of having rose colored glasses and thinking "Ohmygerd, I'mridingaBonneandit'sAWESOME!".

And, you're really frickin' funny.

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #62
StrangelyBrown OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Awwww!

Thanks for the nice comments everyone - glad people seemed to have enjoyed it. I think I may have pissed off my local dealership... Thank god for buying parts off my local dealership.

It's interesting to see so many people come out of the woodwork and say they've had similar experiences with the bike. But I still think that it's a pretty good bike underneath it all.

Now to find someone to buy me some more bikes...
StrangelyBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:12 AM   #63
btl68
semi-rolling stone

Oddometer: 293
The SR500 oil change vid was even funnier than the Bonnie vid!

Ignorance is bliss until they take your bliss away...
btl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:45 AM   #64
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangelyBrown View Post
Hey all!

A bit of shameless self-promotion here. I picked up a Bonneville a while ago and was a little confused with what I bought - it was a great bike but it wasn't this amazing thing that everyone was raving about. So, like all good people in the modern digital age, I decided to hop online and launch into a huge self-righteous rant and rave about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsKFsce5phw

Opinions/hate mail/criticism is all welcome!

Marlon
I think it's pretty good.
I passed it on to my professor in for my documentary class. Good camera work, and now that I have spent some time at it myself, excellent editing.
The bike sounds great too.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #65
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
I will never look at a piece of green Parkerized metal again without giggling, great stuff!

Sent from my 'Droid using Boogerhook
Dilligaf0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #66
StrangelyBrown OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
I think it's pretty good.
I passed it on to my professor in for my documentary class. Good camera work, and now that I have spent some time at it myself, excellent editing.
The bike sounds great too.
Thanks mate - means a lot. I've no real experience or training in editing - just a copy of Premiere elements and a fair bit of enthusiasm. I think it might be the first time premiere has been used to edit something other than a bunch of fat kids kicking a football around in a park. I've been looking into doing more editing because I've found I bloody love doing it. But I'm not going to quit my day job.

I'm not really going for any kind of gig in the motorcycle press. For the last fw years I've been writing stuff and sending them to magazines and online blogs and haven't really got a taker. I've actually met Loz who does the Gizmodo motorbike reviews and he's a top guy. And a bloody good rider to boot. He does some of the best bike reviews out there because they aren't as overly positive as the rest of the press. He can tear strips of the Ducati Diavel but it still leaves me wanting one.

Dunno what I expected with the Bonneville. It's a neat bike, don't get me wrong, but it's just not that great. Despite all it's niggles I'm still glad I bought one - I wanted one for so long. Now I've done that and sometime in the future I'm going to build a WR250R into a 60's replica GP bike and paint it like a Mitsubishi Zero.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:06 PM   #67
Mk5mike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Great exhaust sounds. Really enjoyed your point of view and editing style. And pointed out stuff no one else has told me about the bike. Thank you. Please do more videos if you can haha
Mk5mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #68
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,112
Quote:
I'm not really going for any kind of gig in the motorcycle press.

You should get one. Or at least start your own youtube channel. I'd watch.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com
Chisenhallw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #69
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,319
Quote:
Thanks mate - means a lot. I've no real experience or training in editing - just a copy of Premiere elements and a fair bit of enthusiasm. I think it might be the first time premiere has been used to edit something other than a bunch of fat kids kicking a football around in a park. I've been looking into doing more editing because I've found I bloody love doing it. But I'm not going to quit my day job.

I'm not really going for any kind of gig in the motorcycle press. For the last fw years I've been writing stuff and sending them to magazines and online blogs and haven't really got a taker. I've actually met Loz who does the Gizmodo motorbike reviews and he's a top guy. And a bloody good rider to boot. He does some of the best bike reviews out there because they aren't as overly positive as the rest of the press. He can tear strips of the Ducati Diavel but it still leaves me wanting one.

Dunno what I expected with the Bonneville. It's a neat bike, don't get me wrong, but it's just not that great. Despite all it's niggles I'm still glad I bought one - I wanted one for so long. Now I've done that and sometime in the future I'm going to build a WR250R into a 60's replica GP bike and paint it like a Mitsubishi Zero.
I got a reply back from my professor. She loved it. She's going to show it to the class next semester. So you just impressed a college professor with 25 years in the film industry, I'd say that's an indication your on the right track.
I found editing is not difficult, but can be excruciatingly time consuming and a bit fiddly at times.
If you don't mind, there's a couple of other people I'd like to show it to as well.
Old 12-17-2013, 01:59 AM   #70
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by McJamie View Post
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
I found editing is not difficult, but can be excruciatingly time consuming and a bit fiddly at times.
You got to try it to appreciate it don't you.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #71
Farmwalker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Hey Marlon, Jen over at Ride Apart is trying to get in touch.
http://rideapart.com/2013/12/marlon-...eville-review/
Farmwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:21 PM   #72
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,168
ok, I only have one thing to sat about that video....

IT IS FUCKING BRILLIANT

More reviews of bikes please?!? PLEASE!? Or toasters, im not picky
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:00 AM   #73
Flydream
King of the Atlantic

Oddometer: 363
thanks for making me laugh out loud.
Did you test de W ??
Flydream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 09:11 AM   #74
StrangelyBrown OP
Adventurer

Hey Flydream! I've ridden the W650 and the W800 and have serviced them a fair bit as well. Valves, oil etc. They're fantastic bikes and -may- just be the next one I park in the garage. Maybe.

McJamie - show it to anyone you like. I'm honored!
Old 12-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #75
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
Like the man said "sarcasm isn't available in the US," so for all those native born North Americans who find this video hard hitting and ruthless... You need to get out more, there are some writers outside the US who really don't give a toss about the advertising bottom line. This Aussie is like the bike he reviews a fundamentally nice guy (the British heritage comment illustrated by the picture of Tommys suppressing the mau mau was funny) riding a fundamentally nice bike and he knows it.
No offense but this was an honest and not terribly vicious review of the bike. I am no fan of fuel injection, most are herky jerky at some point in the throttle opening, and the mag wheeled Bonnie looks surprisingly ugly to me, compared to my wire wheeled 2007. Everything else is true, cheap components for a low entry price, solid reliable and unexciting. Great value and pretty too. The heritage is just an advertising gimmick and it seems to work because these bikes sell. Which is good news if you want a low mileage carburetted wire wheeled Bonneville at some point in the future when you arrive intact at my age and want a pretty all rounder that respects the limits of your middle aged reactions.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote