User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Oddometer: 3,473
Faceplant without faceplant?

On Black Friday, we did a little woods ride. heck, it was mostly pushing the bikes across the icy trail. I fell once, right in the first frozen puddle. No pain, no issues. Heck, I've done that dozens of times.
Rode for four hours, went home. No pain, no issues. Sunday I started hurting a little, Monday was worse, and on Tuesday I thought I might have something broken.

Could not trace the pain to a specific area, but it appears around my tibula, near where it is just hidden behind the fibula. Okay, went to a doc, and she said that while I can move my ankle, foot, and all, it looks like a broken tib. Three X-rays later, no fracture. Pain still there, so now the doc is going with a "deep tissue bruise". It will buff right out.

Wednesday, more pain, more intense. Thursday night so painful it actually brought tears in my eyes. Pain is now lower, right above the ankle.

Called the doc today - the original X-rays were only tib/fib, so I asked for ankle X-rays. Three shots later, no fracture. Mystery. Doc is looking at me like I'm faking it.
The pain comes and goes, but mostly stays. It gets worse when I relieve pressure or have my leg elevated. Stepping on clutch when driving is hell, but I can stand on my toes without any pain whatsoever. Tapping on the leg does not trigger any pain. I'm confused, and so is the doc.

I got crutches today (to see if we could rest the ankle and leg) and have my next appointment next week.

So, an injury that is a mystery. The best I can compare the pain to is the time I stepped on a large nail and had it gone through my foot. Pulling the nail out felt like what I'm feeling now, except for way too long.
henrymartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #2
k5mitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 256
Any chance you pinched a nerve?
k5mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Read up on "compartment syndrome" as a complication for a deep tissue bruise.
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:24 AM   #4
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
That doesn't sound fun at all, hope it gets sorted. I've heard that blood clots can cause substantial and hard to diagnose pain, but I've no medical expertise at all and don't know if that could make sense here.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Thanks guys.

I'll look up the syndrome you mentioned.

The weird part is that I cannot trace it to any specific location, but rather a large area. No bruising, swelling, redness...

But hey, I'm pretty good with crutches and it all came back to me with ease (once upon a time I had them for three months)

I'll post once I have my follow up. For now, I'm holding hope that I'm just growing old and feel things I have not felt before Or that I'm a Nancy
Old 12-08-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
xswamprat
n00b

Oddometer: 2
You may also want tohavethe Achilles tendon evaluated/

Paul
xswamprat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Thanks for the replies and concerns. I'm happy to report that after four days of walking with crutches the pain is about 50% gone. Still no idea how and where or what, but it is now much better. I have a follow up on Thursday, but I suspect we will never trace it down to any specific reason. Unless I agree to an MRI which is unlikely since the cost is crazy and the pain is now manageable.
Old 12-09-2013, 12:22 PM   #8
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,810
Wow, sorry to hear this Henry. I hope the pain keeps subsiding and it is just a deep bruising. Have you had prior injuries in the leg? Forgot about a screw or two near the area perhaps?
Old 12-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #9
sphyrnidus
born to ride

Oddometer: 126
Ok it's a bit late now since you are getting better. But more often than not, tendons strained or things like that are more painful than broken bones.
What could have solved your mystery was an ultrasound of your lower leg and ankle.
But even then it is sometimes hard to see what's causing the pain.
The other day I saw a guy, in so much pain he couldn't stand on the leg. We did an ultrasound and there was nothing to be seen, so I asked a radiologist to come and see if I had missed something, but he didn't find anything wrong either. All this time the guy was close to tears from the pain in his lower leg. So the next radiologist comes by and also doesn't see anything wrong. Amazing isn't it?
Old 12-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #10
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Funny I had the same thing. Last warm day of the season (a balmy 45) and about halfway through the ride, went down on some logs and got my ankle under the bike somehow. Was fine until a few hours later, when it got real bad, like I couldn't put any pressure on my right heel. Of course, old station wagon with a stick and no cruise, driving was hell. Ended up taking my shoes off and keeping my toes hooked on the gas pedal to keep my foot up. As soon as I got on the highway and didn't need to clutch, I just drove with my left foot. Not fun. Got xrays done a few days later because I couldn't walk at all, thinking my heel was cracked or something. Just a stretched tendon and a bruised bone was everyone's best guess. 3 weeks later and its better, but still aches sometimes. The human body is a strange thing.... glad you're healing up.
1992 Subaru SVX daily
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #11
henrymartin OP
Mr. Tourguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo2002 View Post
Wow, sorry to hear this Henry. I hope the pain keeps subsiding and it is just a deep bruising. Have you had prior injuries in the leg? Forgot about a screw or two near the area perhaps?
Devo, IIRC you are the one with the screws. I somehow managed to get through life (thus far) without any metal in my body. Are you still in NY or already in CA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphyrnidus View Post
Ok it's a bit late now since you are getting better. But more often than not, tendons strained or things like that are more painful than broken bones.
What could have solved your mystery was an ultrasound of your lower leg and ankle.
But even then it is sometimes hard to see what's causing the pain.
The other day I saw a guy, in so much pain he couldn't stand on the leg. We did an ultrasound and there was nothing to be seen, so I asked a radiologist to come and see if I had missed something, but he didn't find anything wrong either. All this time the guy was close to tears from the pain in his lower leg. So the next radiologist comes by and also doesn't see anything wrong. Amazing isn't it?
Thanks. I've had torn ligaments, meniscus, ACL, fractures, nails in my feet...this just felt different. The worst part was going to the doc, (stick shift car), waiting for a while, getting x-rays, and coming empty-handed, with the looks that spoke, "Are you sure?" while the doc tried to look like she really cared. (probably thinking I was faking it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadE30 View Post
Funny I had the same thing. Last warm day of the season (a balmy 45) and about halfway through the ride, went down on some logs and got my ankle under the bike somehow. Was fine until a few hours later, when it got real bad, like I couldn't put any pressure on my right heel. Of course, old station wagon with a stick and no cruise, driving was hell. Ended up taking my shoes off and keeping my toes hooked on the gas pedal to keep my foot up. As soon as I got on the highway and didn't need to clutch, I just drove with my left foot. Not fun. Got xrays done a few days later because I couldn't walk at all, thinking my heel was cracked or something. Just a stretched tendon and a bruised bone was everyone's best guess. 3 weeks later and its better, but still aches sometimes. The human body is a strange thing.... glad you're healing up.
Thanks. I hope you'll heal up soon too. I'm still using the crutches and will continue using them until I'm completely pain free (or at least fully mobile). I learned the hard way not to push myself (knee, walked too early, had to go under the knife because of it).
Old 12-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 686
Just saw this thread...I don't usually spend a lot of time in Face Plant. Glad to hear things are improving for you, and I hope you get all the kinks worked out soon!!
Starchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:06 PM   #13
devo2002
-Devo

Oddometer: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrymartin View Post
Devo, IIRC you are the one with the screws. I somehow managed to get through life (thus far) without any metal in my body. Are you still in NY or already in CA?
Ya know, I totally forgot about the screws until you said something
I've been over in LA for a few months now, working for the house of mouse ain't that bad. Is it time for you to go to Disneyworld? Let me know...
Old 12-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #14
toy4fun
GET out of the way

Oddometer: 355
When I have such a complaint my doc says, "You're getting old"
toy4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
cliffy109
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,635
Is it possible that you have a herniated disc in your lower back? I just learned a lot about herniated discs. I have one in my neck at the moment. The pain comes and goes. When I first got it, it came more than went. I would get the feeling of being stabbed in the neck, hit in the clavicle with a hammer or being punched in the arm. At times, only one of these areas would hurt and others, all three would hurt. I can't tell you how strange it is to feel like somebody just punched your arm but know that it never happened.

The doc gave me a steroid and an RX for an MRI. The drugs helped a good bit and the MRI just confirmed the diagnosis. I still have pain but it is getting less and less. I have had symptoms for more than 6 weeks now and some of those have been absolutely miserable. Waking up in the middle of the night from imprecise pain just sucks. While driving, I was near tears.

I just did a quick look and it appears that a herniated disc in the lower back could pinch a nerve that comes from your leg. Maybe this is something to pursue with your doctor.
cliffy109 is offline   Reply With Quote