Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #46
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 791
Uly good/bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodnbow View Post
Rudolf, what was the best and worst of the Uly in your opinion?
Thanks,

Best thing about a Uly was that it was hammer reliable. I never had a issue with the bike through 48k of riding and road trips.

The worst thing about the Uly was the heat under the seat. But, that was cured with the update from Buell/H-D with the heat shield for under the seat to direct the fan blast down and away. The same shield can be purchased from American Twin cheaper and by itself.

To be dead honest, I miss my Uly. I should have never traded it away!

2006 Uly

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:51 AM   #47
Barnone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,798
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35 View Post
All you would have to do is purchase a Custom and add 13.5" shocks plus the compression tubes ($60 for the pair) from a Roadster. That is what I did to my 48; has the looks of a 48 but the suspension of a updated Roadster (13.5" Progressive shocks, Progressive springs and the compression tubes of a Roadster).

2011 H-D "48"
You are kidding,right?
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P Z50 clone monkey sidecar
2014 Sky Team MC-D34 CT70 clone
Barnone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:28 AM   #48
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,174
Those two "articles" were written by Alfred E. Neuman, right?

and it all sounds like something that Billy Mays (rip) would hawk.

Buy the right kind of Harley and you will hear angels sing but throw your $$ away on an evil non-HD bike and the death squad will be waiting for you at your next gas stop- or breakdown (whichever happens first)

What complete pieces of chit.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #49
TomJoad
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I also wish HD would bring back the 1200R. That is the Sporty I would buy.

Is there a big difference between the 1200r and Nightster? I want mid controls and I'm 5'11''.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:59 PM   #50
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJoad View Post
Is there a big difference between the 1200r and Nightster? I want mid controls and I'm 5'11''.
Rear Suspension, Cast Wheels, Dual Front Disc Brakes, Tack, Seat...
Old 12-12-2013, 05:01 PM   #51
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,531
Quote:

2011 H-D "48"
That should save some lives!
Old 12-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #52
red450
WEE-A-BOO

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Best thing about a Uly was that it was hammer reliable. I never had a issue with the bike through 48k of riding and road trips.

The worst thing about the Uly was the heat under the seat. But, that was cured with the update from Buell/H-D with the heat shield for under the seat to direct the fan blast down and away. The same shield can be purchased from American Twin cheaper and by itself.

To be dead honest, I miss my Uly. I should have never traded it away!
I sold my 06 in Sept and I miss it. I've been eyeing Sportsters because the Uly gave me a serious craving for v-twins and the few times I had to go to the HD shop for parts, they were always very cool and helpful. Plus I like the idea of so many dealerships and parts being in stock!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #53
professir
Buttugly ol biker

Oddometer: 117
Sporties....

I have ridden Sportsters in one configuration or another since 1988. June 27th, 1988 to be exact. Yes, my "conversion" was that memorable. I love that its a motor, handle bars and a seat. Everything else is eye candy, up for change. I rode a 74' Ironhead for years, wrenched all the time, now I have an 08 rubber mounted Evo and change the oil, fuel and smiles. I have ridden over 800 mile days and think nothing of an afternoon ride of 300 miles. Rock solid at 75mph, handles, rides, is as comfortable and carries everything I need. Is faster then any big twin I have ridden with, (I ride in a club and there are some high $ rigs there) and each and every time I look at it I smile and want to put a key in it and GOOOOOO. Mine is bone stock with an HD sundowner seat, clamp on windscreen and a back rest for the Lady. It never draws a crowd, which is a good thing. And at the end of the ride, reserve light on after 150 miles on a tank, I just feel a bit sad the ride has to end here.

No, a Sporty is not for everyone. It will not get the OWWWSSS at bike night, it will NOT assure you a front place in the "Bad Ass" line, it will not let you post youtubes of 189 mph, and it will not end up in a salvage yard. (Have YOU ever head of a Harley salvage yard? No? Me either.)
professir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #54
robtassie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
why buy harley ..

YER STILL WONDERING ? why would anyone .......
robtassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:40 PM   #55
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJoad View Post
What Dakez said, + a bigger fuel tank, and cast alloy (non tube) wheels.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #56
ArmSC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 134
Quote:
What Dakez said, + a bigger fuel tank, and cast alloy (non tube) wheels.
The roadsters also has... a bigger rear fender, factory tach, more chrome, the front forks were longer ( I think), no FI on most years ( all nightsters should be FI) no gaiters

"Faithless is he who says farewell when the road darkens."
ArmSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:39 PM   #57
TheOtherBart
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,814
Quote:
I also wish HD would bring back the 1200R. That is the Sporty I would buy.

That's the one I did buy, last year, a 2006 with <5,000 miles on it. Why? Nostalgia, as much as anything. My uncle who got me into bikes had everything from Royal Enfields to Kawasakis over the years, but he always seemed to be most fond of his Harleys, and specifically his Sportsters. He bought one the first year they came out. Even back then he took some ribbing from his friends about getting a little bike, until he was able to out ride them thanks to the better handling. Within a year they were all on Sportsters.

Anyway, he isn't getting any younger, and I wanted to get one to share the memory of it with him. I wasn't interested in a forward-control cruiser, and the local dealer just happened to have this beautiful black XL1200R sitting on the lot...

Now that I have it, I love it. It's comfortable, faster than I ever go and handles better than I can ride it. It shakes like crazy but only at idle. It's a blank canvas to do with as you please. I've already mounted a set of aluminum paniers so I can commute with it, and I'm shopping for some handlebars. I'm going to have this bike for a long time.
TheOtherBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #58
bearcat1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
You are kidding,right?
I installed mid controls, 13" Progressive shocks, and fork springs on my '08 1200 Custom. It's not a full on Roadster but it has the ground clearance to lean it over in the sweepers without dragging parts. The brakes still suck and theres too much chrome! The bike is more fun to ride at a brisk pace, more so than the standard custom build. If I want better performance and handling I just ride my Yamaha FZ1 and call it a day . I like the Sportster for the v-twin and visceral feel.
bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:53 PM   #59
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,620
Reasons to buy a Sportster? Ride one, preferably an '03 or older, with aftermarket pipes. You will either love it and have to have one, or never want to go near a Harley again. The new rubber mounted Sportsters with stock pipes have been neutered. A lot of the sound and vibration, which is what riding a Sportster is all about, is missing. The Sportster is not supposed to be a "civilized bike" It goes back to a time when almost all motorcycles vibrated and made noise. If you are the type who drives a Prius, you probably don't want a Harley.

All mechanics are called "technicians" these days. That changed when cars quit being machines, and became Computers On Wheels. I can't wait to get away from these "COWs" and back to real mechanical vehicles. Which is what a non FI Sportster is.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:14 AM   #60
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Reasons to buy a Sportster? Ride one, preferably an '03 or older, with aftermarket pipes. The new rubber mounted Sportsters with stock pipes have been neutered. A lot of the sound and vibration, which is what riding a Sportster is all about, is missing. .
Wrong again. You are easily the most determined contrarian I have ever come across.