User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Oddometer: 36,867
Amazon Instant Video

So I got prime and have found a few things on here that aren't on Netflix (Daria, Waltz with Bashir, Persepolis) but I'm wondering what else is there that's worth watching. Their UI sucks for finding new content.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
NikonsAndVStroms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,235
I used it for a while, then got a Netflix account. I have found very little on it that isn't also on Netflix, and Amazon won't work with Chromecast (audio doesn't cast).
Not all who wander are lost
CodeMonkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
PMC
riding rider

Oddometer: 796
Justified if you haven't seen it.
Seasons 1-3 are on Prime

Also enjoyed Rubicon which was an AMC series on Prime
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
TeneRay
2>4

Oddometer: 1,601
The last two seasons of Top Gear are on there

But you might still have to pay for those.
TeneRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
Jurgen
Trolljegeren

Oddometer: 39,299
Yep, their user interface sucks donkey balls. They should work on that instead of drones to our doorstep. But then 60 Minutes may not give them a free 20 minute infomercial for a mere UI upgrade.

Biggest advantage to me, is that I can buy content if it isn't available under the standard membership. This is also a downside, but sometimes it is nice to be able to stream something that neither Netflix nor Amazon has. (I don't redbox)

I've found some Ok content via Googling. Sites that have things like "100 top Amazon Prime movies" etc.

Like Netflix what is "free" and what isn't is constantly changing. So if you really want to see something watch it now, not later. For instance I believe it was on Prime (Sorry I often forget whether it was Prime or Netflix sometimes) That I was able to watch the UK version of Life on Mars. Excellent show. Now I believe it is no longer available.

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/l...ant-video.html

http://aboutprime.com/20-best-amazon...lix-movies-tv/

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=3338718011

Moderator:CSM/JoMomma/ShinyThings/Sports
Jurgen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #6
Tweaker

Oddometer: 9,012
Turns out, "free shipping" is not exactly free. Many items are excluded and often now, there is a Prime price and a notice that you can get it cheaper if you pay for shipping. Guess what, the prices end up about the same.
Tweaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #7
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
Turns out, "free shipping" is not exactly free. Many items are excluded and often now, there is a Prime price and a notice that you can get it cheaper if you pay for shipping. Guess what, the prices end up about the same.
I think that's due to the sellers, when you click on the item you get Amazon or one of their main partner's product pages. Then there's that link saying "# new & used from $$$$" and the smaller companies who sell through Amazon try to get ahead of the competition by offering it at say half the cost and then a huge S&H fee hoping you just see that low cost and click them.

Amazon has really embraced having the other sellers on their marketplace and other companies like Newegg are doing it too now.

"It's the game of life. Do I win or do I lose? One day they're gonna shut the game down. I gotta have as much fun and go around the board as many times as I can before it's my turn to leave."
Old 12-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post
I think that's due to the sellers, when you click on the item you get Amazon or one of their main partner's product pages. Then there's that link saying "# new & used from $$$$" and the smaller companies who sell through Amazon try to get ahead of the competition by offering it at say half the cost and then a huge S&H fee hoping you just see that low cost and click them.

Amazon has really embraced having the other sellers on their marketplace and other companies like Newegg are doing it too now.

and they're upfront about it on the item page.
They know most people will spend a little more for the convenience of 2 day shipping and everything arriving on the same day, maybe even in the same box.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnylotto View Post

They know most people will spend a little more for the convenience of 2 day shipping and everything arriving on the same day, maybe even in the same box.
The other issue is Amazon or a prime shipper will send it of that day or the next one, while I don't think the other sellers guarantee when it will be shipped. So you might pay 4 bucks for X day shipping but then add in 2-3 days until they ship it. Reading the reviews of the other sellers is key if they're the only option.

Old 12-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweaker View Post
I often compare other prices besides Prime when buying from Amazon. There might be some that are maybe a few cents cheaper, but not often.

There was an article some months back that Amazon makes little to no money from Prime because they do include shipping and other perks. What they do get though is the fact that those who are Prime subscribers buy twice as much stuff from Amazon as non-Prime buyers.

Amazon has a lot of revenue, but they are actually losing money from time to time.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonsAndVStroms View Post

What I hate is when they (the other sellers) offer a lower base price, but then make it up with shipping, so the cost is almost the same. I have seen them price stuff Amazon sells for $5+, for less than one dollar, then jack up the shipping to match the higher prices of others.

Do they think I am stupid or what?
Old 12-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
CodeMonkee
Geek Adventurer

Quote:

But it rarely arrives that quick. I have ordered stuff with the free two day shipping, then waited several days for it to ship. It is 2 day shipping from the time they ship, not from the time you order - even when they say "get it by" such and such a date.

I don't mind - I usually get it the next week within 4 or 5 days - but it isn't what they seem to present.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #13
NikonsAndVStroms OP
Beastly Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeMonkee View Post
What I hate is when they (the other sellers) offer a lower base price, but then make it up with shipping, so the cost is almost the same. I have seen them price stuff Amazon sells for $5+, for less than one dollar, then jack up the shipping to match the higher prices of others.

Do they think I am stupid or what?
They're banking on that....or at the very least you got sucked onto their page and now that you see it's the same price you still go with them.

When using google shopping they display the total price, but Amazon has the price in a nice big red font, then a much smaller light grey one has the shipping. I just found a great example:

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-LIVE-Mont...A27RIP0968G1L9

12 dollars shipping and handling on something that's the same size as one of those gift cards they have at the pharmacy/supermarket

Old 12-09-2013, 10:54 AM   #14
Jonnylotto
Kumbaya my ass

Oddometer: 14,892
Since I'm a Prime member, everytime a package has been late I've made it a point to contact customer service to emphasize that I paid for the two day shipping that they guaranteed.

So far they've extended my Prime membership 2 extra months.

And yes, their video interface blows chunks.
Old 12-09-2013, 11:45 AM   #15
falconati
baller

Oddometer: 642
Quote:
Since I'm a Prime member, everytime a package has been late I've made it a point to contact customer service to emphasize that I paid for the two day shipping that they guaranteed.

So far they've extended my Prime membership 2 extra months.

And yes, their video interface blows chunks.
Ding ding ding. I complained once about one package being delayed and they gave me $50 in Amazon credit. The item cost $50. I couldn't be more pleased with the service, overall.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: