ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
DRTII OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
KTM 990 Question

There isn't a KTM 990 at any dealer within 100 miles from me (Van, WA) and I'd love to actually sit on one and take a look at it. I don't need a test ride or anything like that, but to see one in person would be incredibly helpful. I have a 31.5 inseam and I want to know if I'm just a dreamer, or if this bike could be a reality. If anybody close by can help out, that would be great. If not, I'll wait until Sublimity gets their 1190 in and see if that's good.

Any tips or suggestions, have at it.

Dan
Old 12-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
tblume
deus ex machina

Oddometer: 1,673
Gresham KTM? Last summer they had three on the floor. Here in Eugene they had one in the front room last time I went in (also summer though)
Old 12-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
DRTII OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tblume View Post
Gresham KTM? Last summer they had three on the floor. Here in Eugene they had one in the front room last time I went in (also summer though)

No on both! Inventory isn't showing anything, and cycletrader doesn't have anything within 500 miles. A few in LA, SD, and the Southwest, but most are on the East coast.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:12 PM   #4
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTII View Post
No on both! Inventory isn't showing anything, and cycletrader doesn't have anything within 500 miles. A few in LA, SD, and the Southwest, but most are on the East coast.

Gresham ktm's website never shows much for inventory. Call them on Tuesday and double check.
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:37 PM   #5
DRTII OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladukebob View Post
Gresham ktm's website never shows much for inventory. Call them on Tuesday and double check.

I know it's a small shop, I bought from them before. Will do, thanks!
Old 12-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
motorcyanide
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Dan,

I have an almost new 2012 Adventure. I live in the Beaverton area and you are welcome to come by and take a look if you can't find one anywhere. PM me and we'll see if we can make it happen.

Ryan
motorcyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #7
Rodknee
I wish I was Ghetto

Oddometer: 2,020
i have a 30" inseam and love my 990. it does require sliding to one side or the other when stopping though.

go get one, you will love it!
NY to Inuvik to Deadhorse Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
DRTII OP
Adventurer

Moto, b18, thanks for the comments guys.

Good to hear about the inseam. Let me say that it's more "weight" not a height concern, as I have ridden 35"+ bikes, but it helps knowing that others can manage it. Yes, I know this topic has been completely beaten up for years so I tried not to make a huge deal out of it.

Ryan, sounds good. I'll let you know. I'd really hate to have to sit on an 1190 because...well...then I'd probably buy it. I'm out in the Camas area right now, but I get out to Beav every once in awhile. It'd be worth it to stop by.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #9
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,188
The orange koolaid...

DRT,

DO NOT demo one of these (it don't matter which one) unless u gots the $$ in your pocket or are willing to make financial arrangements with devil.

Weight: yeah, there is weight. It is not a 250 that floats over sand. There is also ~100 HP. So, know what you wanna do/ride before you drink the orange koolaid. If big bike ADV is your dream, then this is it. Take it from one who has been shooting up orange for 10 years, there is nothing else like it. I had some of the most epic rides, punished GS and 'tard riders, set lap records on these dammed big KTMs. It would take at least 3 of the other 8 bikes I own to do what my 950A can do.

The weight is much more than a "weight" thing. It is more about where the weight is distributed on the bike, a dynamic handling thing, and KTM has that dialed better than anyone. Remember, the origional KTM 9XXA was built to win Paris/Dakar, which it did. And they have only gotten better since then.

Map out your tire/gas/chain budget first, it will be the best bike budget $$ you will ever expend!

If you would pursue a hot redhead without hesitation, then KTM is the bike for you.

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005
HellsAlien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,126
With a 32" inseam, Punkin (my '07 990) was waaay too much/tall/big/heavy/powerful for me. I fell,..lots. Simple stuff most often. Loved it anyway. That was 6 yrs and 55k ago. Still love it, but even more. I fall a little less now and you couldn't pry it from my cold dead hands.

Like Hells says.....she does all of the things quite well that it takes many bikes to do. That's why I have no need/desire for many bikes. Just Punkin. Do it. Get a 990/950. It is unique, and perfect, despite it's faults. The 1190 is just......more like other bikes.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,107
worth the trip

Make a trip to one of the dealers near Seattle, it'll be worth it. I'm 5'6" and have a 29" inseam and rode a 950 for years. Stay away from the "tall" seats and the "R" or "S" suspension and you'll be fine. It does take a little courage and skill to master but you can't beet them off road
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
I've got one you are more than welcome to play with out in Eastern Oregon, but it's kind of icy to have much fun on it right now. I've always been a dirtbike guy...then I rode with a dude that had a 950. I got my endorsement and bought my first "street" bike shortly there after. I think the 990 was a good choice for my first plated bike! Super easy handling, no surprises, stable at speed on forest service roads...good two up, and just an all around fun bike. You can't go wrong man, even us dudes with midget legs!
Old 12-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
DRTII OP
Adventurer

wow...thanks for all of the responses!

Alien, that was a finely crafted marketing message right there haha. Let me say this, I don't think I need anyone to sell me on it, I've been in love with this bike since I first saw one years ago and just rode street. I've always been fascinated with the "odd" look (I think it stems from my equal fascination with mid 80's early 90's foreign sports cars), and purpose-driven intent.

As for the DEMO & redheads. I have no doubt it would compel me to hand over money. I'm OK with that decision.

Tire/Chains, I'm well read on this (though, seriously lacking in mechanical skill) so I know it will make a semi-mechanic out of me. Seems people run all sorts of tire combo's, and after reading the Oso Loco RR I think I was even more confused.

Apple Jam. Dude...you did a very poor job of convincing me it won't work ha! I will hop up on that bastard with a running start if I need too. Maybe I'll get tired of picking it up, but what are my options? Walking? Riding a huffy? Getting a much taller WRR (actually, that might be a fun bike)? I think not. Maybe I'll just stay out of the rocky stuff for awhile.

Redbastard. Seattle, huh? I didn't see one listed up around there either. SmokeyPoint is new for KTM, right? I guess I could call them up. 29" inseams, now that's commitment. I like your style. Did you lower it? As for tall seats, I'm really not interested in adding to the challenge.

TacoSupreme. Not only do I want a taco now, but I appreciate the offer. I can safely say I'm rarely out in Eastern Oregon, but that would be one place I plan to take the bike (isn't the majority of the OBDR running through it?).
Old 12-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #14
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 574
Inseam.....

Man.....I'd kill for a 31.5" inseam! I buy 30" inseam pants....but only because I wear boots all the time You can get the 990 lowered if you want to. I just stiffened up the front springs, dropped the triple clamp a half an inch and picked up a low seat for the knarly stuff. I carry a sheepskin for road riding and it comes in handy when fixing flats......keeps the rotor out of the dirt! . I've been riding and racing for 40 years, owned dozens of bikes.....nothing has put on more smiles than the 990. Now if I could just figure out how to pack lighter.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTII View Post
There isn't a KTM 990 at any dealer within 100 miles from me (Van, WA) and I'd love to actually sit on one and take a look at it. I don't need a test ride or anything like that, but to see one in person would be incredibly helpful. I have a 31.5 inseam and I want to know if I'm just a dreamer, or if this bike could be a reality. If anybody close by can help out, that would be great. If not, I'll wait until Sublimity gets their 1190 in and see if that's good.

Any tips or suggestions, have at it.

Dan
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 01:14 AM   #15
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,126
Oh yeah, I'm South of Hood River a bit.
You are welcome to come ride mine anytime, full blown test ride is OK. You certainly couldn't scratch it up any worse than I have
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote