User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #31
Garp
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,440
I assume the Mini Countryman didn't make the cut because it's an "suv/cuv" and not a wagon. Surprised the Impreza fits, to my eye that's a 5 door hatch, not a wagon.
Garp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:25 AM   #32
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudWalker View Post
So again............,

Wagon.
AWD.
Stick shift.
New.

Only one mfgr. makes this car. Look closely, the other fuckers will give a stick but no awd, just fwd.
It's pretty simple. If you want a very nice car to drive get the Audi and if you want a cheap feeling plastic and tin foil appliance that might be more reliable, get the Subaru. Will the wife notice or care about the difference between the two?
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #33
Tork
Pinsetter

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourKraut View Post
It's pretty simple. If you want a very nice car to drive get the Audi and if you want a cheap feeling plastic and tin foil appliance that might be more reliable, get the Subaru. Will the wife notice or care about the difference between the two?
This is what happened to us , wife loves her TT Quattro , Awd but with auto .

I believe the TT-RS is awd with stick
Tork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #34
MudWalker OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
She had an Audi, she will notice. We are trying to be frugal and she would not agree that the extra 10K is money well spent. The awd is the most important piece to the puzzle, she does not like winter driving and the Audi was unstoppable especially with 4 winter boots. The Subi would giver her back the confidence I took away when I replaced the A4 with a Mazda 3.

Sure is true, that tin foil/plastic comment...................
MudWalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:43 AM   #35
TheMuffinMan
Forest Ranger Magnet

Oddometer: 5,622
Quote:
We have done the Audi thing..............we loved it but, we hated the brake/tire eating, glitch prone, expensive service, hard to fix cars. If Audi could make their cars as reliable as Toyota no one would ever stray.

I am wishing Mazda would do a high end 6 awd wagon with a 6-speed diesel. Will this happen?
Funny you say that, I traded the A4 in for a 2014 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed manual. Not quite the same ride for sure but I truly love the simplicity and changing the oil will take literally 5-7 minutes (was a 90 minute cuss-fest with the damn Audi)

I'd vote for the Subaru, hands down though I've heard the fuel mileage is not quite there with their 6's and the power isn't there with the 4's. Other then that they're good cars, very popular out here in Colorado.
TheMuffinMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:51 AM   #36
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
She had an Audi, she will notice. We are trying to be frugal and she would not agree that the extra 10K is money well spent. The awd is the most important piece to the puzzle, she does not like winter driving and the Audi was unstoppable especially with 4 winter boots. The Subi would giver her back the confidence I took away when I replaced the A4 with a Mazda 3.

Sure is true, that tin foil/plastic comment...................
I tried to be frugal and bought a '10 outback with the manual transmission. What a friggin disaster that was, that POS was unbearable to drive AND a lemon to boot. SOA replaced it with a second one (this one an '11) and that was also a lemon as it turned out, both were ill-handling underpowered shitboxes that got mediocre gas mileage. Yes, great in the ice and snow in their defense.

Financially, trying to eke out a little better gas mileage than my truck cost me many thousands of dollars in the end. Have her take that subaru on a long test drive before you buy it if you go that direction, trust me.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:14 AM   #37
DC2wheels
Castle Anthrax troll

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
I tried to be frugal and bought a '10 outback with the manual transmission. What a friggin disaster that was, that POS was unbearable to drive AND a lemon to boot. SOA replaced it with a second one (this one an '11) and that was also a lemon as it turned out, both were ill-handling underpowered shitboxes that got mediocre gas mileage. Yes, great in the ice and snow in their defense.

Financially, trying to eke out a little better gas mileage than my truck cost me many thousands of dollars in the end. Have her take that subaru on a long test drive before you buy it if you go that direction, trust me.

Wife has had the opposite results.

She had an '09 Outback manual. Liked it a lot (she had a VW Passat before that).

We looked at the '12 Outback and she REALLY liked it. Has one with the 6 speed manual.

She gets 28-29 mpg consistently and both have been trouble free.

Comfortable long distance, carries all our gear and will pull a small trailer easily. Wintertime we have 4 snows mounted on extra wheels and the thing is a tank in the snow.
http://k11og.org/forum/index.php world-wide K bike forum

DC2wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #38
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,809
How important is MPG?

Sorry, Walker. I couldn't resist.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #39
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garp View Post
A Diesel Stick Shift AWD Wagon is one of those cars that everybody says they would buy, but if some manufacturer sticks their neck out and actually imports them, roughly two people actually step up. The rest will complain that they'd buy if it had a bigger/smaller Nav screen, or smaller wheels, or they really wanted a seven speed stick (unless of course it comes as a seven speed, in which case it turns out they really would have preferred a six speed), or came in a slightly different shade of blue.
No, the real problem is that it would cost more than $25k, and I'm not going there.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:45 AM   #40
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
VW "R" and if you wait a few months the next version of the R will have just under 300 ponies. I had an R32 which is the vehicle the R replaced and the AWD was xlnt and the car was a gas to drive. Utilitarian too.

These things are sleepers for sure. and yes... they are bringing it back with a stick (woooowhooo!).... but low production volumes, high out-put factory-tuned engines & VW quality seem like a risky combination of factors...

In concept, these are one of my favorite vehicles.. period...

But every time I see one I just think: man I'm glad I don't have to pay to keep that on the road...
A-Bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:16 AM   #41
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 26,910
There are a few Lancer Evolutions around here.

That'd be fun.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/da...229892434.html

http://eauclaire.craigslist.org/ctd/4230287758.html

My uncle drives a beater Mitsu 3000GT VR-4 around northern wisconsin in the winter, loves it.
Grainbelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 AM   #42
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
But every time I see one I just think: man I'm glad I don't have to pay to keep that on the road...
Not sure what you're worried about? My GTI has the first three years "service" covered and then an oil change every 10K isn't that expensive? They have a timing chain so no belt to worry about.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #43
Red J
Adventureless.

Oddometer: 758
Quote:
Not sure what you're worried about? My GTI has the first three years "service" covered and then an oil change every 10K isn't that expensive? They have a timing chain so no belt to worry about.
My bet is that he's worried about the 60-120K miles range.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #44
A-Bone
Indubitably

Oddometer: 12,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red J View Post
My bet is that he's worried about the 60-120K miles range.
Yep... J-balls is right...

The following statements are made assuming you drive a lot of highway miles ( >20k/yr. ):
If any car maker is still making a car you need to be worried about in the first 36k, they shouldn't be in business...

As a matter of fact... if they are still making a car that you have to worry about for the first 100k, they shouldn't be in business...

Before this turns into the typical "VW's are Junk" part of the thread, I guess it should be noted that Consumer Reports gave VW a good rating for reliability and said they have greatly improved quality and reliability in recent years.

And for full disclosure: I have a VW as my daily driver...

A TDI

And yes...

Yes, I use full synth Rotella T6
A-Bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #45
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Bone View Post
Yep... J-balls is right...

The following statements are made assuming you drive a lot of highway miles ( >20k/yr. ):
If any car maker is still making a car you need to be worried about in the first 36k, they shouldn't be in business...

As a matter of fact... if they are still making a car that you have to worry about for the first 100k, they shouldn't be in business...

Before this turns into the typical "VW's are Junk" part of the thread, I guess it should be noted that Consumer Reports gave VW a good rating for reliability and said they have greatly improved quality and reliability in recent years.

And for full disclosure: I have a VW as my daily driver...

A TDI

And yes...

Yes, I use full synth Rotella T6
Good luck with that, those VW's are junk and will murder your wallet out of warranty!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: