Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #1
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
AdvRider Stella

Howdy all,

Just picked up a 2003 Genuine Stella 2T. Got it for a great price and plan to turn it into something I can throw the sleeping bag and tent on and head for the massive hills of Maryland ;) and some of the great summer camping rallies the Mid-Atlantic offers.

The owner said it wasn't running, but it kicked over on the second kick once we got it home. Ran a mix of SeaFoam and pre-mix through it and it is now running GREAT!!! It was quite smoky at first, that is when I realized I used the premix gas can... Ooops ;) Pulled the jets and they were very clean....

Funny story- pulled the left cowl and there was a heart with Ramsay + Momi on the inside. They are members of the local Baltimore Scooter Community (and married to each other now). The scooter has been in Va and most recently a pit bike on the Eastern Shore of Md since Ramsay sold it.

Here are a few of the projects ahead:

* Deep scrubbing and waxing main body and leg shield
* New tires
* Paint or plastidip rims, rack, and leg shield guard
* Light bondo to cowls
* Plastidip cowls, horncast, and front fender
* Saddle blanket seat cover
* New cables where necessary
* Cigarette lighter for charging phone

I am looking for a few parts if anyone has a parts Stella:

* Right brake lever
* Electrical connector for the right brake
* RH mirror
* Battery strap
* Front fender or fender guard
* Rear turn signal lenses

Stay tuned for more updates as they happen. I hope that I can get it running and participate in the Cold Weather Challenge at
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
climbamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:26 PM   #2
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Welcome. I also have a Genuine Stella 2T. Mine is an '09, avocado green, light brown seat, wide whitewalls. I put the seat and whitewalls on it. I bought it new, and have had a few minor problems. I had to replace the top end at under 500 miles, and a stator at just over 9,000 miles. The starter switch broke, so I removed it and wired up the kill switch to be the starter switch. When I replaced the stator, I removed the electric starter, and it is now kick only. IF I ever sell it, which isn't likely, I can put the electric starter back on. I'm already making plans to build a new more reliable engine for it. Stellas do smoke quite a bit on startup if you use the choke. But I like it. It's an internal combustion engine.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks Jerry,

This smoking was excessive, but pretty sure it was due to the pre-mix and SeaFoam. It calmed down after it ran empty and we added fresh regular gas to the tank.

The float valve had been sticking we think, but seems to have cleared itself up after the SeaFoam. That is why there is a pan under it. It is missing the plug at the back of the carb enclosure where you adjust the mixture.

~Gd
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
Old 12-09-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
JerryH
Banned

The plug is not needed. Mine was plastic, and I broke it while removing it. I believe it is just there to prevent you from messing with it. After I fried a top end, I rejetted mine richer. You will find lots of information on Stellas here. http://www.scootercentral.net/forums/
Old 12-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
hound dogger
ain't growin' up

Oddometer: 46
Ramsay & Momi

Is the Ramsay & Momi heart just written with a finger or something more permanent ? Pretty cool if you can leave it.
hound dogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hound dogger View Post
Is the Ramsay & Momi heart just written with a finger or something more permanent ? Pretty cool if you can leave it.
It has been on there for a while, and I plan on masking it off when I paint the cowls. It would be a shame to cover it up
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
Old 12-10-2013, 08:27 PM   #7
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Since you're planning on taking the Stella to go camping I might suggest looking for a new front rack for it- appears from the holes it had one previously, and would be handy for your extra gear.

From a cosmetic perspective if it was mine I would swap the T5 horn cover for a P or PX model, especially if you're going to plastidip parts anyhow. The T5 cover really doesn't work without the funky rectangular headlight/wind deflector....

Hope you have fun cleaning it up and getting it ready for the road!
It has a leg shield guard that mounts into those holes. It is going to be perfect for strapping a tent/sleeping pad to for camping. If I come across a front rack I would love one, but am also pushing forward on a budget. Thanks and stay tuned
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
Old 12-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #8
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The plug is not needed. Mine was plastic, and I broke it while removing it. I believe it is just there to prevent you from messing with it. After I fried a top end, I rejetted mine richer. You will find lots of information on Stellas here. http://www.scootercentral.net/forums/

Thanks Jerry!
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
Old 12-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Regarding the plug at the back of the air filter- I really recommend you get a replacement. These carbs get excess fuel puddling in the air box when cutting throttle at speed, and the plug will keep that stuff from draining down the back of the engine creating a great place for gunk and stuff to accumulate. Why create another source for oil drips on your floor?

Also, if you look at the back of your engine it's covered in nasty black goo. That plug will help keep the grit and junk out of your air filter.

Lastly, a problem that Jerry doesn't have to deal much with in AZ is rain- that plug will keep water from potentially splashing up and getting sucked into your carb.

Seems like a lot of value for a cheap plug. If you're tuning your carb, sure, leave it out while you get things dialed in, but I don't see any downsides of having one....my 2 cents...

Thanks DaBear!

I was going to get another one. I figured it was there to keep gunk out.
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
Old 12-12-2013, 12:22 AM   #10
Indy21
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Nice looking Stella, I have the same color only mines a 79 Vespa P200e, love the bike, alot of fun to ride.

Looking foward to seeing your upgrades, please comeback and post pics afterwards so we can all admire your work!
Old 12-12-2013, 06:17 AM   #11
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy21 View Post
Nice looking Stella, I have the same color only mines a 79 Vespa P200e, love the bike, alot of fun to ride.

Looking foward to seeing your upgrades, please comeback and post pics afterwards so we can all admire your work!
Will do! Thanks for reading!

02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
Old 12-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
Katesy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
I also have a P200 I've had for the last few years. I love it! It's been to many camping rallies here in the northwest, and on some solo camping trips last summer. Looking forward to seeing how the plastidip works out, I've been wanting to do the same.
Katesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #13
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
I'm honestly surprised nobody has jumped in and ragged on you about getting a stella over a classic P, saying they're cr@p, junk, etc, etc... just check out other threads when the S word comes up....

I have a 4T 2012 Stella I'm breaking in (300 miles now) and outfitting to camp with (the 70 MPG hecka beats the 15 my jeep liberty gets...) but I've been afraid to talk about it to avoid getting just such a ragging....

Other than CARB requiring it to be soooooo leaned out as to be nearly unrunable to register in CA (since Its been retuned into a range more real world usable) I've really had no problems with it.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #14
JerryH
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
I'm honestly surprised nobody has jumped in and ragged on you about getting a stella over a classic P, saying they're cr@p, junk, etc, etc... just check out other threads when the S word comes up....

I have a 4T 2012 Stella I'm breaking in (300 miles now) and outfitting to camp with (the 70 MPG hecka beats the 15 my jeep liberty gets...) but I've been afraid to talk about it to avoid getting just such a ragging....

Other than CARB requiring it to be soooooo leaned out as to be nearly unrunable to register in CA (since Its been retuned into a range more real world usable) I've really had no problems with it.
There are a lot of threads on here about Chinese scooters, and they are far worse quality wise than the Stella. And as nice as they look, vintage Vespas are nowhere near Japanese or Taiwanese quality either. The biggest issue I had with mine was a seized top end, which I am sure was caused by the jetting being to lean. After replacing it, I rejetted a bit richer, and have had no more problems with the motor. The lean jetting is not the manufacturers fault, it is the EPA's fault. Fortunately it is easily corrected.

People also tend to forget that 2 stroke engines (mine is a 2 stroke) have more issues and do not last as long as 4 strokes. A guy named Pete rode his modern Asian made Rattler 110 2 stroke to Alaska, and had some serious engine problems (there is a ride report on here somewhere) He admitted later that he wished he had used a 4 stroke. But I love 2 strokes, and am willing to put up with some problems keeping mine going.

I paid $3000 OTD for my '09 Stella brand new. Roughly the cost of a vintage Vespa project bike that needs a lot of work. No, it's not a vintage Vespa, but it is the next best thing. It looks the same, and provides the same riding experience.
Old 12-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post

If I could find a P for anything remotely close to what I paid for the Stella, I wouldn't have batted an eye and would be a 2 Vespa household..... As it it, I am going to have about 5 to 6 Hundred tied up in this beast, running and on the road.
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD

climbamt screwed with this post 12-13-2013 at 02:13 PM Reason: Spellin mitakes