Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2013, 01:46 AM   #31
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 174
would an adjustaable rear shock with a preload spring be a good mod? tweek the sag and bottoming out...as a 2012 with 400 miles it has new gabreils on it, but not adjustable worth swopping out sometime?
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #32
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
would an adjustaable rear shock with a preload spring be a good mod? tweek the sag and bottoming out...as a 2012 with 400 miles it has new gabreils on it, but not adjustable worth swopping out sometime?
Short answer: Yes, but that assumes you can find one- I searched and it looks like you may be in for a hunt- http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic25148.html

http://www.modernbuddy.com/forum/topic21787.html

It sounds like the 4T is not compatible with Stella 2T or Vespa parts- which may explain why it's not performing well- may have been designed to fit a smaller space. I put an adjustable on my p200e, and it helped because I am considerably heavier than your typical Italian from the middle of last century

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #33
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbamt View Post
New tires and tubes ordered today to use up a credit I had. I ordered Michelin S1 3.5 x 10. The current front tire (also a Michelin S1) is decent and will become the spare. After reading the Honda Aero thread I am glad that the Stella has split rims and tubes! I used a 2 x 4 cut at a 45 do tap the beads loose after cracking the rims. The wide side of the rim took a little more work, and some PB Blaster to get it off. Once it was disassembled, I cleaned the rims halves up and painted semi gloss black so it is ready when the new tires arrive.

Over the weekend I removed the exhaust (Sito) and wire brushed it to get ready for new paint. It is in good condition and a coat of high temp paint will not only protect it, but make it look a bit nicer.

Unfortunately, I do not have room in my garage, and the bike is about 40 miles away. I want to go at it full throttle, but it is going to happen in stages.... Hopefully I can get down and pull a few more parts up and paint or Plasti-dip at my house at my convenience.
I put Shinko 3.50x10 tube type whitewalls on mine. They hold up amazingly well, but the whitewalls are impossible to keep clean. I replaced my oem catalytic exhaust with a generic stock P series replacement. It is no nosier than the stock pipe. I only replaced it to get rid of the catcon. The Sito may require richer jetting, depending on which model it is.

As far as I know, the 4T Stella does not share any engine, transmission, or rear suspension parts with the 2T or the P series Vespa. They basically cut out the whole rear end of the frame and replaced it with a tubular structure. I first hear the engine was basically the old Bajaj design, then I heard it was totally different, so I don't know. It may use a shock made just for it. I hope there isn't a lack of parts for the 4T Stella when the (YUK) CVT version comes out.
1980 Puch moped

JerryH screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 09:25 AM
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #34
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

4T stuff I found...problem, it's pricey

http://www.scooterworks.com/genuine-...o=changeFilter

http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_p...?pnum=1&search[show]=10

vt1099ace screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 11:00 AM
Old 12-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #35
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Some pictures of my Stella. So far all I have done is debadged it (plan on badging it as an LML Star, which it is in most of the rest of the world) replaced the black seat with a brown one, and replaced the blackwall tires with whitewalls. I also removed the black plastic shroud that covered the gear selector box under the right cowl, and installed floor mats. Electric starter has been removed, but it is a one kick affair most of the time. I plan on painting the spare tire cover black, or getting a whitewall spare tire, and getting rid of the cover altogether.

1980 Puch moped
Old 12-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #36
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

I got a message from vespa motorworks...the 4T has a eyelet at the top instead of a threaded rod...

so it looks like adjustable shocks aren't avaiable...yet

unless and more 'normal' cycle style could be used?

vt1099ace screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 02:30 PM
Old 12-17-2013, 03:46 PM   #37
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Some pictures of my Stella. So far all I have done is debadged it (plan on badging it as an LML Star, which it is in most of the rest of the world) replaced the black seat with a brown one, and replaced the blackwall tires with whitewalls. I also removed the black plastic shroud that covered the gear selector box under the right cowl, and installed floor mats. Electric starter has been removed, but it is a one kick affair most of the time. I plan on painting the spare tire cover black, or getting a whitewall spare tire, and getting rid of the cover altogether.

/URL]

Nice looking bike Jerry! I love that color, especially with the tan seat. Are you planning on selling any of the parts you took off?
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
climbamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #38
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,149
Jerry- that color is awesome- I had an MGB that color- it looked like leftover British wwII paint. Loved it.

Agree about doing something with the spare tire cover- it kinda jumps out with that look- check out the P200 black plastic cover:
http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_p...-for-P-PX/3306

It is very subtle. I just don't know if it's a direct replacement on the Stella.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #39
Motovista
Parts is Parts

Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
Please add this to your list of sources http://scooterpartsco.com/index.php?...x&cPath=85_505 It's going to be interesting to see how much support Genuine offers for this model now that the twist and go version is coming to market.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:32 PM   #40
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Agree about doing something with the spare tire cover- it kinda jumps out with that look- check out the P200 black plastic cover:
http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_p...-for-P-PX/3306

It is very subtle. I just don't know if it's a direct replacement on the Stella.

That cover is listed as a replacement for the Stella also. I would hit the cover with a couple of coats of Krylon Fusion semi gloss black paint (Designed for plastic).A can is less then $5. and should only take a few minutes work.
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
Old 12-18-2013, 12:56 PM   #41
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sito Plus Exhaust

The stella has a Sito Plus exhaust on it. It was in really good condition as far as being solid, but was somewhat lacking in the cosmetic department.

I spent a few minutes in the 36 degree garage with a wire brush to clean it up for a fresh coat of paint. It took 4 stores for me to find a high temperature (1200 degree) paint in a semi gloss black paint. It was easy to find 1200 degree flat black or 500 degreesemi-gloss (and it was a bonus size can). A couple of coats of paint in the much warmer basement and it looks MUCH better....

I get to head down to Annapolis tomorrow, pull some more parts, and continue to SLOWLY get her back on the road....
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
Old 12-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #42
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterpartsco View Post
Please add this to your list of sources http://scooterpartsco.com/index.php?...x&cPath=85_505 It's going to be interesting to see how much support Genuine offers for this model now that the twist and go version is coming to market.
that looks like a good price for the big bore kit. Those extra 15cc's would come in handy.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:52 PM   #43
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Krylon Fusion is what I had in mind. Either that or replace the spare with a wide whitewall and dump the cover altogether. I've never been crazy about things that are cosmetic only. I even considered a rear rack with a spare tire carrier.

The paint burned off the exhaust I put on mine to replace the catcon within 100 miles. But for some reason it is still not very rusty.

I don't know if I would go for a big bore kit or not. The weakest part of the Stella engine seems to be the crank, and putting more stress on it might not be a good idea. And since you are pretty much stuck with the stock gearing, the only way to make it faster would be to spin the engine faster, IMO not a good idea. I have hit 55+ on mine, but generally vary the speed between 45 and 50 (indicated). to keep the engine rpms down. If you are looking for more torque, a big bore kit would help there, but I have done several unintentional wheelies off the line, mostly due to the heavy rear weight bias. For me the Stella is just a relaxation machine. I poke around on it, enjoying the sound, feel, and smell. I spend a lot of time in forth gear. The Stella is geared fairly low overall, so you can reach fourth fairly quickly. I found first is so low it is almost worthless. But I still prefer this over a CVT, because as slow as it is, it is geared low enough to climb anything without lugging the engine. It is a great small scooter for mountain riding.
1980 Puch moped
Old 12-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #44
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Krylon Fusion is what I had in mind. Either that or replace the spare with a wide whitewall and dump the cover altogether. I've never been crazy about things that are cosmetic only. I even considered a rear rack with a spare tire carrier.
The only issue I can see about not having the cover is that depending on which exhaust you have, this is where all of the exhaust spews out and loads up on the tire. I am considering an exhaust pipe extender like this.

http://scooterpartsplace.com/exhaust...sion-pipe.aspx

This one does not fit the Sito that I have, but I will continue to look for one that will.

Quote:
The paint burned off the exhaust I put on mine to replace the catcon within 100 miles. But for some reason it is still not very rusty.
I am hoping that the 1200 degree paint will last for a while. The local shop said to get this paint over traditional engine enamel which is rated for 500 degrees. Not sure what paint you used.

Quote:
I don't know if I would go for a big bore kit or not. The weakest part of the Stella engine seems to be the crank, and putting more stress on it might not be a good idea. And since you are pretty much stuck with the stock gearing, the only way to make it faster would be to spin the engine faster, IMO not a good idea. I have hit 55+ on mine, but generally vary the speed between 45 and 50 (indicated). to keep the engine rpms down. If you are looking for more torque, a big bore kit would help there, but I have done several unintentional wheelies off the line, mostly due to the heavy rear weight bias. For me the Stella is just a relaxation machine. I poke around on it, enjoying the sound, feel, and smell. I spend a lot of time in forth gear. The Stella is geared fairly low overall, so you can reach fourth fairly quickly. I found first is so low it is almost worthless. But I still prefer this over a CVT, because as slow as it is, it is geared low enough to climb anything without lugging the engine. It is a great small scooter for mountain riding.
I am not thinking about a big bore kit until the time comes that I need to replace the top end of the Stella
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
Old 12-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #45
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Saturday update

Got some cosmetic stuff done today. Plasti-Dip was applied to the cowls and horn cast. Also put some semi-gloss on the fender ornament and rear turn signal housings. No pictures, I left the camera at the garage where the Stella is. Hopefully I can make it down on Sunday and install the Plasti-Dip-ed parts and take a few pictures.

I found a wiring diagram online and was able to print it out LARGE on 11 x 17 paper. This should help to sort out a couple of issues I am having with lights.... I can email the PDF I created to anyone if they need it.

Waiting on the rear rack and the leg shield guard to come back from sandblasting so I can paint them and install.

She is getting closer... Projects left include:
* Waiting on new tires (will paint last 2 rims when they arrive)
* Paint an install rack and legshield guard
* Sort out electrical gremlins
* Tap and install new front brake switch
* Horse blanket saddle cover

I am sure I will find more as I continue to dig deeper and hopefully closer to being ready to have inspected and get tags for her.

02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD