ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #31
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer
 
vt1099ace's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Northern California, Yuba city
Oddometer: 198
4T stuff I found...problem, it's pricey

http://www.scooterworks.com/genuine-...o=changeFilter

http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_p...?pnum=1&search[show]=10

vt1099ace screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 12:00 PM
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #32
JerryH
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 5,069
Some pictures of my Stella. So far all I have done is debadged it (plan on badging it as an LML Star, which it is in most of the rest of the world) replaced the black seat with a brown one, and replaced the blackwall tires with whitewalls. I also removed the black plastic shroud that covered the gear selector box under the right cowl, and installed floor mats. Electric starter has been removed, but it is a one kick affair most of the time. I plan on painting the spare tire cover black, or getting a whitewall spare tire, and getting rid of the cover altogether.










JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:24 PM   #33
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer
 
vt1099ace's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Northern California, Yuba city
Oddometer: 198
I got a message from vespa motorworks...the 4T has a eyelet at the top instead of a threaded rod...

so it looks like adjustable shocks aren't avaiable...yet

unless and more 'normal' cycle style could be used?

vt1099ace screwed with this post 12-17-2013 at 03:30 PM
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #34
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
climbamt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Some pictures of my Stella. So far all I have done is debadged it (plan on badging it as an LML Star, which it is in most of the rest of the world) replaced the black seat with a brown one, and replaced the blackwall tires with whitewalls. I also removed the black plastic shroud that covered the gear selector box under the right cowl, and installed floor mats. Electric starter has been removed, but it is a one kick affair most of the time. I plan on painting the spare tire cover black, or getting a whitewall spare tire, and getting rid of the cover altogether.

/URL]

Nice looking bike Jerry! I love that color, especially with the tan seat. Are you planning on selling any of the parts you took off?
__________________
03 BMW F650 GS ABS
05 Vespa GT200
06 Kymco People 150
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
climbamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #35
Motovista
Parts is Parts
 
Motovista's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
Please add this to your list of sources http://scooterpartsco.com/index.php?...x&cPath=85_505 It's going to be interesting to see how much support Genuine offers for this model now that the twist and go version is coming to market.
__________________
Discount OEM, replacement and performance parts for vespa, honda, bmw, yamaha, suzuki, genuine, kymco, piaggio, aprilia, SYM, tgb, tomos and other scooters at http://www.scooterpartsco.com
GT200, GT200, ET2, Italjet Velocifero, Italjet Torpedo, Eton Beamer 3, Genuine Buddy Pamplona 150, Kymco Vitality 50, Honda Elite 50
Motovista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #36
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
climbamt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Agree about doing something with the spare tire cover- it kinda jumps out with that look- check out the P200 black plastic cover:
http://www.scooterwest.com/items/?_p...-for-P-PX/3306

It is very subtle. I just don't know if it's a direct replacement on the Stella.

That cover is listed as a replacement for the Stella also. I would hit the cover with a couple of coats of Krylon Fusion semi gloss black paint (Designed for plastic).A can is less then $5. and should only take a few minutes work.
__________________
03 BMW F650 GS ABS
05 Vespa GT200
06 Kymco People 150
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
climbamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 01:56 PM   #37
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
climbamt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Oddometer: 194
Sito Plus Exhaust

The stella has a Sito Plus exhaust on it. It was in really good condition as far as being solid, but was somewhat lacking in the cosmetic department.



I spent a few minutes in the 36 degree garage with a wire brush to clean it up for a fresh coat of paint. It took 4 stores for me to find a high temperature (1200 degree) paint in a semi gloss black paint. It was easy to find 1200 degree flat black or 500 degreesemi-gloss (and it was a bonus size can). A couple of coats of paint in the much warmer basement and it looks MUCH better....



I get to head down to Annapolis tomorrow, pull some more parts, and continue to SLOWLY get her back on the road....
__________________
03 BMW F650 GS ABS
05 Vespa GT200
06 Kymco People 150
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
climbamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #38
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer
 
vt1099ace's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Northern California, Yuba city
Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterpartsco View Post
Please add this to your list of sources http://scooterpartsco.com/index.php?...x&cPath=85_505 It's going to be interesting to see how much support Genuine offers for this model now that the twist and go version is coming to market.
that looks like a good price for the big bore kit. Those extra 15cc's would come in handy.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:52 PM   #39
JerryH
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 5,069
Krylon Fusion is what I had in mind. Either that or replace the spare with a wide whitewall and dump the cover altogether. I've never been crazy about things that are cosmetic only. I even considered a rear rack with a spare tire carrier.

The paint burned off the exhaust I put on mine to replace the catcon within 100 miles. But for some reason it is still not very rusty.


I don't know if I would go for a big bore kit or not. The weakest part of the Stella engine seems to be the crank, and putting more stress on it might not be a good idea. And since you are pretty much stuck with the stock gearing, the only way to make it faster would be to spin the engine faster, IMO not a good idea. I have hit 55+ on mine, but generally vary the speed between 45 and 50 (indicated). to keep the engine rpms down. If you are looking for more torque, a big bore kit would help there, but I have done several unintentional wheelies off the line, mostly due to the heavy rear weight bias. For me the Stella is just a relaxation machine. I poke around on it, enjoying the sound, feel, and smell. I spend a lot of time in forth gear. The Stella is geared fairly low overall, so you can reach fourth fairly quickly. I found first is so low it is almost worthless. But I still prefer this over a CVT, because as slow as it is, it is geared low enough to climb anything without lugging the engine. It is a great small scooter for mountain riding.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #40
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
climbamt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Krylon Fusion is what I had in mind. Either that or replace the spare with a wide whitewall and dump the cover altogether. I've never been crazy about things that are cosmetic only. I even considered a rear rack with a spare tire carrier.
The only issue I can see about not having the cover is that depending on which exhaust you have, this is where all of the exhaust spews out and loads up on the tire. I am considering an exhaust pipe extender like this.



http://scooterpartsplace.com/exhaust...sion-pipe.aspx

This one does not fit the Sito that I have, but I will continue to look for one that will.


Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
The paint burned off the exhaust I put on mine to replace the catcon within 100 miles. But for some reason it is still not very rusty.
I am hoping that the 1200 degree paint will last for a while. The local shop said to get this paint over traditional engine enamel which is rated for 500 degrees. Not sure what paint you used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I don't know if I would go for a big bore kit or not. The weakest part of the Stella engine seems to be the crank, and putting more stress on it might not be a good idea. And since you are pretty much stuck with the stock gearing, the only way to make it faster would be to spin the engine faster, IMO not a good idea. I have hit 55+ on mine, but generally vary the speed between 45 and 50 (indicated). to keep the engine rpms down. If you are looking for more torque, a big bore kit would help there, but I have done several unintentional wheelies off the line, mostly due to the heavy rear weight bias. For me the Stella is just a relaxation machine. I poke around on it, enjoying the sound, feel, and smell. I spend a lot of time in forth gear. The Stella is geared fairly low overall, so you can reach fourth fairly quickly. I found first is so low it is almost worthless. But I still prefer this over a CVT, because as slow as it is, it is geared low enough to climb anything without lugging the engine. It is a great small scooter for mountain riding.
I am not thinking about a big bore kit until the time comes that I need to replace the top end of the Stella
__________________
03 BMW F650 GS ABS
05 Vespa GT200
06 Kymco People 150
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
climbamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #41
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
climbamt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Oddometer: 194
Saturday update

Got some cosmetic stuff done today. Plasti-Dip was applied to the cowls and horn cast. Also put some semi-gloss on the fender ornament and rear turn signal housings. No pictures, I left the camera at the garage where the Stella is. Hopefully I can make it down on Sunday and install the Plasti-Dip-ed parts and take a few pictures.

I found a wiring diagram online and was able to print it out LARGE on 11 x 17 paper. This should help to sort out a couple of issues I am having with lights.... I can email the PDF I created to anyone if they need it.

Waiting on the rear rack and the leg shield guard to come back from sandblasting so I can paint them and install.

She is getting closer... Projects left include:
* Waiting on new tires (will paint last 2 rims when they arrive)
* Paint an install rack and legshield guard
* Sort out electrical gremlins
* Tap and install new front brake switch
* Horse blanket saddle cover

I am sure I will find more as I continue to dig deeper and hopefully closer to being ready to have inspected and get tags for her.


__________________
03 BMW F650 GS ABS
05 Vespa GT200
06 Kymco People 150
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
climbamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:43 AM   #42
JerryH
Banned
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 5,069
There are a couple of parts under the horncast that I removed while I had it apart. One was the super loud turn signal beeper, and the other was called a "switching module" According to the experts at Modern Buddy and Scooter Central, this part is not needed, and tends to overheat and sometimes even catch on fire. Yours may not have it, being an '03. It's a white plastic box with a purple wire going to it, and an inline fuse holder. Mine works just fine without it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:26 AM   #43
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer
 
vt1099ace's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Northern California, Yuba city
Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbamt View Post


The only issue I can see about not having the cover is that depending on which exhaust you have, this is where all of the exhaust spews out and loads up on the tire. I am considering an exhaust pipe extender like this.



http://scooterpartsplace.com/exhaust...sion-pipe.aspx

This one does not fit the Sito that I have, but I will continue to look for one that
I am hoping that the 1200 degree paint will last for a while. The local shop said to get this paint over traditional engine enamel which is rated for 500 degrees. Not sure what paint you used.



I am not thinking about a big bore kit until the time comes that I need to replace the top end of the Stella
I agree, no big bore until the top end is needed...then i'll think about it. An exaust/carb upgrade would be more practicle without risking the engine i think, I mainly wonder how much CA emission controls is ham stringing it as is.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #44
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
climbamt's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Baltimore, MD
Oddometer: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
I agree, no big bore until the top end is needed...then i'll think about it. An exaust/carb upgrade would be more practicle without risking the engine i think, I mainly wonder how much CA emission controls is ham stringing it as is.

My Stella already had a Sito Exhaust on it. From what I have read,you install and up-jet one size. This can be done in probably 30 minutes. It is a known and proven upgrade for a modest price.
__________________
03 BMW F650 GS ABS
05 Vespa GT200
06 Kymco People 150
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
climbamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #45
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer
 
vt1099ace's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Northern California, Yuba city
Oddometer: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbamt View Post
My Stella already had a Sito Exhaust on it. From what I have read,you install and up-jet one size. This can be done in probably 30 minutes. It is a known and proven upgrade for a modest price.
For a 4T?...i see you have 2 stroke and most of the info i found at modernbuddy is mostly 2 also. If it's that easy, would be well worth it to get the best out of the little 150...CA restrictions feels odd, serviceable, still fun...but restricted.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014