Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2013, 11:43 PM   #46
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,414
There are a couple of parts under the horncast that I removed while I had it apart. One was the super loud turn signal beeper, and the other was called a "switching module" According to the experts at Modern Buddy and Scooter Central, this part is not needed, and tends to overheat and sometimes even catch on fire. Yours may not have it, being an '03. It's a white plastic box with a purple wire going to it, and an inline fuse holder. Mine works just fine without it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 12:26 AM   #47
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbamt View Post

The only issue I can see about not having the cover is that depending on which exhaust you have, this is where all of the exhaust spews out and loads up on the tire. I am considering an exhaust pipe extender like this.

http://scooterpartsplace.com/exhaust...sion-pipe.aspx

This one does not fit the Sito that I have, but I will continue to look for one that
I am hoping that the 1200 degree paint will last for a while. The local shop said to get this paint over traditional engine enamel which is rated for 500 degrees. Not sure what paint you used.

I am not thinking about a big bore kit until the time comes that I need to replace the top end of the Stella
I agree, no big bore until the top end is needed...then i'll think about it. An exaust/carb upgrade would be more practicle without risking the engine i think, I mainly wonder how much CA emission controls is ham stringing it as is.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #48
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
I agree, no big bore until the top end is needed...then i'll think about it. An exaust/carb upgrade would be more practicle without risking the engine i think, I mainly wonder how much CA emission controls is ham stringing it as is.

My Stella already had a Sito Exhaust on it. From what I have read,you install and up-jet one size. This can be done in probably 30 minutes. It is a known and proven upgrade for a modest price.
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
climbamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #49
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
My Stella already had a Sito Exhaust on it. From what I have read,you install and up-jet one size. This can be done in probably 30 minutes. It is a known and proven upgrade for a modest price.
For a 4T?...i see you have 2 stroke and most of the info i found at modernbuddy is mostly 2 also. If it's that easy, would be well worth it to get the best out of the little 150...CA restrictions feels odd, serviceable, still fun...but restricted.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:19 AM   #50
normrat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Hi, climbamt. I remember your bike from when it was R&M's. I'm Norm, and I don't think we've met, but I'm pretty sure I've seen you on a facebook group or two. Looking forward to seeing your seat cover. Here's my P200, packed for a wet weekend of camping at Not Summit Point a few years back.
normrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #51
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by normrat View Post
Hi, climbamt. I remember your bike from when it was R&M's. I'm Norm, and I don't think we've met, but I'm pretty sure I've seen you on a facebook group or two. Looking forward to seeing your seat cover. Here's my P200, packed for a wet weekend of camping at Not Summit Point a few years back.
Nice looking bike Norm. How did she handle loaded? My brother wants to get a P200E.
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
Old 12-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #52
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

More parts arriving for my Stella tomorrow. The new tires and tubes.

Put in a battery from another bike, and had nothing. Removed main fuse and cleaned it a bit and now most everything works including the electric start!

Does anyone use a plug system for the rear taillights instead of the plug and pray for a ground system?

Do you think it is smoking excessively?

Just teasing, that is the smoke from leaves in a burn barrel.... Also notice the difference adding Amber Lenses over the smoked lens that was on her.

Should be able to finish the Stella for the time being soon. Took some pictures last night but the colors seem really off due to the fluorescent lights.

02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
Old 12-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #53
normrat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
I believe that's the year I faded my rear brake by the end of the weekend. I overload my P200, or my wife's Stella frequently (I'm pretty heavy for scooters to start with). If I've learned anything from hauling camping gear, I should have moved the relatively heavy tent (pictured at the back of the rear rack), to the front rack and put the lighter foam bed rolls on the back.
normrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:45 PM   #54
RedArrow
If only the moon

Oddometer: 1,228
Following your progress. A beautiful bike worth restoring. Keep us posted; it's looking great, although it looks like you could be using some new tires soon!
Old 12-24-2013, 04:10 AM   #55
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,414
Unless they've been ran over by a cement truck, a 2T Stella can always be restored. They're built like tanks, and parts are plentiful.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #56
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Following your progress. A beautiful bike worth restoring. Keep us posted; it's looking great, although it looks like you could be using some new tires soon!
The new tires will be here today. The one on the front will be the spare for now. I ordered 2 Michelin S1 Scooters tires. They are the match for what is currently on the front.
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
Old 12-24-2013, 08:10 AM   #57
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The new tires will be here today. The one on the front will be the spare for now. I ordered 2 Michelin S1 Scooters tires. They are the match for what is currently on the front.
Be careful about mixing brands...my old heavy cruiser had dunlop up front and michelin rear (until I swopped out the front) and it was like riding a trout through curves from the differences! going into the curve the front felt like it wanted to slide out and coming out it was the rear...different rubber blends for road road stickiness, sidewall stiffness, etc... was what various boards told me pretty cocsistantly.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #58
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Unless they've been ran over by a cement truck, a 2T Stella can always be restored. They're built like tanks, and parts are plentiful.
add in the realtive simplicity of the mechanics...and that why I chose onewhen I felt I was ready to ride again.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:32 AM   #59
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,025
I'm running S1s as well. I like them fine, but a lot of boards are dissing them for lack of wet traction, versus Heidenaus. I wouldn't know- I don't ride mine intentionally in the rain, and those times I've been caught in it I was very careful, mostly due to the drum brakes on my Vespa.

I will probably switch at some point to the K38s partially for the rain ability, but mainly because they are classic tread patterns which I think looks more appropriate on a worn looking scooter like mine.....

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #60
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
Be careful about mixing brands...my old heavy cruiser had dunlop up front and michelin rear (until I swopped out the front) and it was like riding a trout through curves from the differences! going into the curve the front felt like it wanted to slide out and coming out it was the rear...different rubber blends for road road stickiness, sidewall stiffness, etc... was what various boards told me pretty cocsistantly.
All 3 tires will be S1's. It currently has an s1 on the front and I am guessing an original on the rear. The rear tires is definitely old school looking bias ply type! The S1 on the front will be fine as a spare. If/when I get a flat I will buy a replacement S1 for it.
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD

climbamt screwed with this post 12-27-2013 at 10:19 AM Reason: grammer