Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2013, 07:30 AM   #76
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
I removed the starter when I had the flywheel off to replace the stator. It was easy to get to, and I rarely ever used it. It was big and heavy, and I'm just the type that likes simplicity. It always starts with one or 2 kicks. I was told on what used to be stellaspeed (now scootercentral.com) that Stella starters are prone to early failure, and they are super expensive. So I wrapped it in newspaper and put it in a box in the closet. If I ever decide to sell the scooter, I can put it back on, and it will still work. I'll probably leave the battery.
Makes sense. Didn't know they were that pricey.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #77
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
So....

My Stella had a burned headlight bulb when I got it. I replaced it and it almost immediately blew one side of the lamp out. I have now burned the 2nd side out. Does anyone have a test for the "switching unit". I have read that you can remove the switching unit from the bike, while others say it fries the system.... Does anyone have any long term knowledges of removing the system?

Here is what I found concerning removing the switching unit-

The way to by past the switching module is the following:

Either take te grey wire (AC power) and connnect it to the purple wire (pilot and tail lights). This will cause both lights to run when the motor is running.

Alternatively you can take the orange wire (DC power) and connect it to the purple wire. This will allow both tail and pilot lights to come on when the key is turned on but motor not running.

I was planning on checking the Stator first. Testing Your 12v Regulator with a Multimeter

http://scooterpromo.com/customer/sco...regulator.html

Please note that because the regulator is a giant zener diode, it is important that you note whether you are going positive (red) to negative (black) or negative to positive with the leads of your multimeter.

On a five pole regulator you should get the following readings:

Case to Ground (Black):
Red to Black: 0Ω (Zero Resistance)
Black to Red: 0Ω (Zero Resistance)
+B (Grey) to Ground (Black):
Red to Black: 0.02-0.04Ω
Black to Red: 0.02-0.04Ω
G (Yellow) to Ground (Black):
Red to Black: 2-3Ω
Black to Red:∞Ω (Infinite Resistance)
Ground (Black) to A (Violet, both):
Red to Black: ∞Ω (Infinite Resistance)
Black to Red: ∞Ω (Infinite Resistance)
+B (Grey) to G (Yellow):
Black to Red: 2-3Ω
+B (Grey) to A (Violet):
G (Yellow) to A (Violet):
A (Violet) to A (Violet):
Red to Black: 0Ω (Zero Resistance)
Black to Red: 0Ω (Zero Resistance)
If you get ANY readings other than what is shown above chuck the regulator.

5-pole DC regulator: Please note that depending on the manufacturer of the regulator that the colors or the letters may be different. However, B+ always charges the battery. There will always be two AC input slots (A/Violet on this regulator). Unless you have a late 70s P200, there will always be a redundant ground slot (the 4-pole regulator only grounds off of its case). And the final slot is your DC out slot.

3-pole AC regulator: The B+ slot is missing on the 3-pole AC regulators since there is no battery to charge. Since no rectifying is taking place on this box the two AC input slots are interchangeable, attach an input wire to one and regulated AC will come out the other.

Anyone have any firsthand experience???
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD

climbamt screwed with this post 01-02-2014 at 01:31 PM
climbamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:34 PM   #78
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,996
I removed the switching unit from mine, along with that really annoying turn signal beeper, and have had no problems. But I never had any problems before removing it either. I removed it because I had everything apart, and it is a known trouble spot. All my bulbs are original, after over 10,000 miles. I've worked on so many things lately I don't remember exactly how I did it, but you can find out on scootercentral.com, or just Google "Stella switching module" It is probably a good thing to get rid of it even if it is not the problem. It eliminates one more failure prone part, and there are no negative issues with removing it. Those things have been known to actually catch on fire.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:48 PM   #79
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I've worked on so many things lately I don't remember exactly how I did it, but you can find out on scootercentral.com, or just Google "Stella switching module" It is probably a good thing to get rid of it even if it is not the problem. It eliminates one more failure prone part, and there are no negative issues with removing it. Those things have been known to actually catch on fire.
Thanks Jerry!

I found how to, I was more looking for information about the ramifications of doing it. Sounds like you have had great results.
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
Old 01-03-2014, 05:33 AM   #80
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,216
Regarding your original headlight problem- I had the same issue last year on my Vespa- started blowing headlight bulbs and the speedo lamp as well. Traced it back to a number of things, although I can't be sure what failed first-

I had removed my stator from the engine to replace the crankshaft oil seal. Due to the age and brittle state of my stator wires several broke. I replaced these. Headlights were still blowing. Checked the fuse off the battery- it had blown, replaced it- bulbs still blew. Replaced the Voltage regulator, all is well. Since everything was fine before I did the seal replacement I suspect the regulator/fuse went after the wires were cracked in the stator. Regardless, I've had no further issues with it at all for the past year....

Don't know how much of this carries over to the Stella, and certainly don't think your wiring is as old and brittle as mine was, but if stators are a problem you might check yours for a broken or frayed wire while doing your other checks....

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #81
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Regarding your original headlight problem- I had the same issue last year on my Vespa- started blowing headlight bulbs and the speedo lamp as well. Traced it back to a number of things, although I can't be sure what failed first-

I had removed my stator from the engine to replace the crankshaft oil seal. Due to the age and brittle state of my stator wires several broke. I replaced these. Headlights were still blowing. Checked the fuse off the battery- it had blown, replaced it- bulbs still blew. Replaced the Voltage regulator, all is well. Since everything was fine before I did the seal replacement I suspect the regulator/fuse went after the wires were cracked in the stator. Regardless, I've had no further issues with it at all for the past year....

Don't know how much of this carries over to the Stella, and certainly don't think your wiring is as old and brittle as mine was, but if stators are a problem you might check yours for a broken or frayed wire while doing your other checks....
Thank you!
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
Old 01-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #82
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Spent some time tinkering on the Stella over the last few days while taking care of my Mom. Pulled all of the connectors and made sure the connections were clean and added dielectric grease to the connections. I was going to do the test on the voltage regulator, but it is a different set up than the diagram I previously posted. I did find a wired for the horn that required re soldering. Everything else looks like it is in good condition.

When I pulled the rack off to sandblast and paint, the nut that WAS welded to the frame broke loose. I removed the gas and oil tank so I could access the bolt. I think I am going to clean it up and JB weld it back in place. You can pull up on it to get it tight as long as it stays in place after the tank is reinstalled.

The petcock bolds were very loose, and I tightened them but it still allows gas to flow through when in the off position. I will order a new gasket and hopefully this will fix the issue. I will replace the gas and Oil injector hoses while they are out.

While the tank is out I have access to the rear turn signal wires. I am going to hit up the You Pull It Junkyard and get new sockets that I will mount in the rear lens housings. I am going to run LED's and put 1157 style bulbs in. I will tap into the rear tail light so it has running lights in addition to the blinkers. I will install quick disconnect plugs which I think will work much better than the current system that the Stella uses. A sleigh bit less user friendly, but I think it will make a big difference in the connection and visibility.

Pulled the Switching unit out, and will take the unit to the local electronics store to see if I can get a plug that matches. I will use the plug to join the Purple and orang wire together rather than cutting and splicing the wires. This way if I decide it needs the unit, it will be an easier replacement.

About to order a bunch of small parts for her, and then it will be a massive crunch to put it back together in time for the Cold Weather Challenge. To bad it isn't together right now as we have seen some COLD temperatures....

http://2strokebuzz.com/2013/11/30/20...ther-challenge

02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD

climbamt screwed with this post 01-08-2014 at 11:04 AM
Old 01-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #83
FizzyRascal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Nice project . . . be lucky dude.
FizzyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #84
JerryH
Vintage Rider

The Stella is an interesting project isn't it? I find it far more fun to work on than modern scooters. I plan on getting a rear rack for mine. And I considered a top box, but decided it wouldn't look right on a Stella. So I'm going to get a roll bag instead.
1980 Puch moped
Old 01-11-2014, 11:23 AM   #85
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Got a couple of things out of the way. Removed the switching unit from the Stella. I made a jumper wire so that if I decide to put it back in it will just plug in.

Added some heat shrine to seal it.

Removed the old glass style fuse and soldered and heat shrinked a blade style fuse holder to replace the old one. The old one used a smaller fuse than your typical fuse.

I also cleaned up the wiring and secured it while I was in there.

02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD
Old 01-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #86
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The Stella is an interesting project isn't it? I find it far more fun to work on than modern scooters. I plan on getting a rear rack for mine. And I considered a top box, but decided it wouldn't look right on a Stella. So I'm going to get a roll bag instead.
I agree that a new style top box would not look good on a Stella or a P series Vespa. I have a faded Prima Rollbag that I will use on mine. If I could find a top box like the one on this Vespa I would consider it. I think you could use it as a camper it is so big....

I would like to get a front rack for mine, as long as it does not interfere with the leg shield guard. I would have skipped the guard, but it already has hole drilled in the leg shield and I figured it would be a pain to try and fill/fix. Plus I figure that the bar that goes across the from might work for some LED driving lights and to carry a sleeping pad and bedroll... It is this style-

Anyone have any advice for painting chrome black? I was going to sandblast it, but after the parts sat for 4 weeks at the shop and had nothing done on them, I decided to bring them home....
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD

climbamt screwed with this post 01-11-2014 at 04:06 PM
Old 01-15-2014, 10:05 PM   #87
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,732
In my pursuit of a reliable old Vespa I talked to Gene at Scooters Originali about replacing the wiring in my 1979 P200. He said that as it's a (slightly mysterious) European spec Vespa, replacement wiring harnesses are available and one is on order. US spec 2-stroke Vespas havent been built in decades so ready to install wiring isn't apparently available so I feel lucky I wanted what I got, an early premix battery-free P200. Not to mention finding Gene as I have no desire to rebuild my own Vespa. Not if reliability is what I am seeking at any rate...
In pursuit of reliability I think wiring is critical as intermittent faults can be the devil to figure out and can stop an engine in its tracks. Even more so when riding in the rain as shorts multiply when wet. Besides the original wiring on mine was as brittle as uncooked pasta and the exposed wires were as green as a two dollar bill. Glad to say goodbye to the mess.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #88
JerryH
Vintage Rider

The wiring on the Stella is really simple, but they made a mess of installing it. I had to move things around and use several zip ties before I could get either the horncast or handlebar cover back on after removing them. Under the horncast, I stuck as much of it as possible back inside the hole in the leg shield. I don't think you will need that switching module, I threw mine away.

My Stella is now kick start only after removing the electric starter, and may at some point also be batteryless and premix only as well. Without the electric starter, which is completely unnecessary, as it starts on the first or second kick, the battery really serves no purpose, as the ignition runs off a magneto. As for the oil injection, I think it works better than premix, but that's only IF it works. I've heard it is not very reliable on the Stella. And the ancient design engine is designed to run on premix.
1980 Puch moped
Old 01-20-2014, 12:36 PM   #89
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I broke out the dremel tool and started on the changeover from 7507 single filament bulbs to 1157 dual filament bulbs on the rear. I plan on making it so the Stella has running lights on the rear as well as turn signals.

Here is what I started with-

I cut off the socket with the single filament-

Next I used a little sanding drum to make the hole larger so a set of 1157 light sockets from an old Ford would fit. The fit was snug.

Added some 5 minute epoxy to hold the new 1157 sockets in place. Now to find a plug system so I can have a more solid reliable connection for the rear taillights and blinkers.

I plan on using LED bulbs so it should provide very little drain on the electrical system.
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD

climbamt screwed with this post 01-21-2014 at 08:10 PM
Old 01-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #90
climbamt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
The wiring on the Stella is really simple, but they made a mess of installing it. I had to move things around and use several zip ties before I could get either the horncast or handlebar cover back on after removing them. Under the horncast, I stuck as much of it as possible back inside the hole in the leg shield. I don't think you will need that switching module, I threw mine away.
I agree the wiring WAS a mess.... I removed the Switching unit and cleaned the wiring up.

Quote:
My Stella is now kick start only after removing the electric starter, and may at some point also be batteryless and premix only as well. Without the electric starter, which is completely unnecessary, as it starts on the first or second kick, the battery really serves no purpose, as the ignition runs off a magneto. As for the oil injection, I think it works better than premix, but that's only IF it works. I've heard it is not very reliable on the Stella. And the ancient design engine is designed to run on premix.
I plan on leaving the electric starter, and running a battery. The oil injection works well, and I have not seen too many problems indicated with the oil injection system. I read the entire Stella forum on Modern Buddy while recovering from a minor surgery and do not recall that coming up as an issue.
02 Kymco People 50
Baltimore, MD