Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2014, 01:40 PM   #151
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
According to http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/formula-one/25753221 Kimi has not yet been fully paid for last season and Lotus has a mountain of debt (over $180 million at this point).

Not looking good for the long term survival of Lotus.
They have a lot of problems to overcome. I agree, it doesn't look good. Most of the Lotus debt is to Genii, so I guess it's only paper debt. But they've lost engineers and a driver and who knows how good the replacements are? It's hard to see them matching last season's competitiveness without having more than just adequate funding.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #152
geg OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,141
on a lighter note....

Drivers annoyed competition to win number results in winning number

January 15th, 2014 | Author: Marcus Gearey
F1 drivers are annoyed the process of bidding for a career F1 number only resulted in them getting a career F1 number rather than a car or money or something.
The number allocation system was scraped together by the FIA as something to do before the F1 season kicked off again, rather than do that frigging Mario Kart league for the 8th year running.
Drivers were offered the chance to compete with the same number for the rest of their F1 career but in a process so shrouded in mystery, everyone was sure a stickered number between 2 and 99 cant have been the point, surely?
Guess how many problems Ive got go on: guess!!!
Lotus driver, Pastor Maldonado said, I was excited when I heard about the number process as I too do literally nothing between the end of the current season and crashing my car into another competitor at the start of the next.
But if Id realised the number was the only prize , I wouldnt have tried to be clever going for one I knew nobody else would.
Instead of walking off with a remote-controlled helicopter or 32GB Nexus 7, the permanently unlucky-digit afflicted Venezuelan was instead shocked to learn hed actually selected his entry number for the rest of his career or until hes killed in an accident, whichever comes first.
Everybody now thinks I reckon Im in the same league as Gilles Villeneuve now, dont they? 27-wearing German, Nico Hulkenberg commented.
Oh well: could be worse at least they dont think I either have posters of Nena on my wall or a fetish for Mr Whippy, he added.

- See more at: http://www.pitflaps.co.uk/2014/01/dr....pKretAo6.dpuf

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
geg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 01:48 PM   #153
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clem Kevin View Post
F1 isn't NASCAR. It takes huge gobs of money just to be a back marker, which is all a Dallara car will ever be. I just don't see a US team being willing to do that.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 01-17-2014, 04:00 PM   #154
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by spezjag View Post
The problem with "F14T" is that if the font is just right, it looks like it spells out "FIAT"

Would that be a problem?

Don't Fiat own Ferrari?

A. T. T-W screwed with this post 01-17-2014 at 04:05 PM
A. T. T-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #155
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,794
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
Would that be a problem?

Don't Fiat own Ferrari?
They do, but my thought is they probably don't want to throw that into people's faces too much.

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #156
geg OP
Canadian living in exile

Team Lotus in Formula 1 has signed a sponsorship agreement with Saxo Bank.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #157
Bleemus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
Quote:
Originally Posted by geg View Post
Team Lotus in Formula 1 has signed a sponsorship agreement with Saxo Bank.

Good for them. Hopefully it's enough to keep them competitive.
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 05:42 AM   #158
geg OP
Canadian living in exile

looks like Caterham has picked their drivers
no KOV this year...

and from KOV:

Quote:
"I got a text message from Tony [Fernandes] saying they need two pay drivers," Kovalainen explained.

"So I guess that's it for me. I was counting on this one 100 percent, so I have nothing planned now."

Old 01-21-2014, 06:57 AM   #159
luxlogs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
I always wondered what happened to Chapmans hat. Remember the family gave it to Tony to throw in the air upon the 1st Lotus win. Guess they never figured the "other Lotus" would hire Kimi.
82 R65LS
92 R100GS
luxlogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #160
wxwax
Excited Member

Tony Fernandes says that if Caterham show no progress then this will be his last season in F1.

On the one hand, does anyone care about a perennial backmarker? On the other hand, Fernandes makes valid points about F1's lack of competitiveness.

Quote:
Running a football team, despite suffering QPR's relegation from the Premier League last season, gives Fernandes the perfect opportunity to realise the differences between the two sports.

"The sport has to examine itself," he said. "I'm in a fantastic position to see two sports football and Formula One. Every week I go to a game nervous as hell, whether we're playing Yeovil, Doncaster or Leicester, because football is unpredictable.

"It's no secret people are paying more money to watch football, TV rights are growing, global audiences are growing, so what are they doing right that we're not doing right in Formula One?

"We spend all our time looking at how long a piece of pipe is, Kers etcetera, but the racing stays the same, with the same three or four teams there winning. There is no underdog who comes in.

"In football, what's great is a Yeovil going into a cup game and beating a Manchester United. That can happen in football."

Highlighting the introduction from this season of the double-points system for the final race in a bid to liven up the title, an exasperated Fernandes added: "That is a fake fix. What's better is to solve the issue and make the racing more compact so a Sauber, a Lotus or a Force India could cause an upset.

"That's what people like to see, what people like to watch, and that is what is missing in Formula One. The gaps between the haves and the have-nots has made racing boring."

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 01-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #161
geg OP
Canadian living in exile

Just like the entry fee for the coming year is based on how many points you scored last year, maybe on track practice time could be doled out the same way? Yes practice costs money, but I think it'd be money well spent if a back-marker could have a hope...

Then again, I guess that just makes it more "gimmicks"

Old 01-22-2014, 04:14 AM   #162
geg OP
Canadian living in exile

Force India arrives:

rest of gallery: LINK

Old 01-22-2014, 04:17 AM   #163
geg OP
Canadian living in exile

2013 vs 2014

Old 01-22-2014, 05:58 AM   #164
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Tony Fernandes says that if Caterham show no progress then this will be his last season in F1.

On the one hand, does anyone care about a perennial backmarker? On the other hand, Fernandes makes valid points about F1's lack of competitiveness.

Arguable points, yes. Valid? I'm not convinced.

There are two ways of looking at the parallel Fernandez draws with football (well, soccer from over here ).

The first sees it long-term. Fernandez says:

"... the racing stays the same, with the same three or four teams there winning. There is no underdog who comes in."

And yet ... who is doing most of the winning? Red Bull. A team built from perennial disappointers Jaguar. Classic case of underdog rising to overdog.

The main reason that can be missed is that people who buy F1 teams tend to rename them. People who buy footy teams don't.

Other examples are available. Possibly the most salient:

- in 2008, Honda finished ninth, scoring points in only three races. In 2009, the renamed team won eight races and the driver and constructor championships, with the same driver line-up.

So on the long-term view, some F1 underdogs do have their days.

The other way to look at Fernandez's argument is over the short term. In footy, he says, you never know when you might get an upset:

"In football, what's great is a Yeovil going into a cup game and beating a Manchester United. That can happen in football."

Yes, it happens in football. But not very often.

And it also happens in F1. Toro Rosso's victory with Sebastian Vettel at Monza in 2008 springs immediately to mind.

Of course, Vettel's victory would have had even more resonance if Mateschitz hadn't changed the team's name when he bought perennial wooden-spooners Minardi.

So, I'm not so sure Fernandez has made the right points. Just possibly, his team has a problem and F1's problems lie elsewhere.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #165
Ace100
Expert Tomfoolerist

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by geg View Post
Guess how many problems Ive got go on: guess!!!

Ace100 is offline   Reply With Quote