Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 04:30 AM   #16
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 5,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
We need a countdown to Melbourne clock!!!

I am looking forward to the new rules because they should shake things up and create uncertainty. F1 could use more suspense. However, to quote myself, double points in the final race is weapons-grade stupid.
schedule:

Formula One Schedule

#DateRaceWinner/Time (*)
Mar 16
Australian Grand Prix
1:00 PM
Mar 30
Malaysia Grand Prix
Apr 6
Bahrain Grand Prix
Apr 20
Chinese Grand Prix
May 11
Spanish Grand Prix

clock.....

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:33 AM   #17
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

additions to the 2014 rules & regulations:

Old 12-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #18
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Vettel to be a dad....

German Link

translated:

Quote:
By NICOLA POHL
not only on the slope he gave this year ... gas
Sebastian Vettel (26) for the first time father! His girlfriend Hanna (26), with which he is together since high school in Heppenheim, is expecting her first child
Vettel yesterday at noon to IMAGE. "We are obviously very pleased and now want to enjoy in peace. "The two are currently on winter vacation, want to avoid the hustle and bustle of every pregnancy.
Vettel in the baby luck! After image information Hanna is already nine months pregnant, is to bring the child in four weeks to the world. So even before her boyfriend rises for the first time during the tests in Jerez (Spain) in his new car. What a timing!
Enlarge With this car Sebastian Vettel took his fourth World title. In the Red Bull Vettel took four world titles in a row. 2014 cars are converted V8 to V6 turbo engines, Photo: AP / PA
Baby rumors there was in recent months repeatedly. Even the Grand Prix in India at the end of October, when Vettel his 4th Made it clear to world title, he denied a pregnancy compared with IMAGE. Since he obviously had a fib ...
striking but Vettel did not Hanna with the circuit. But he responded unusually emotional after his triumph in India, said after the race: "I want to thank my family, my girlfriend at home. It is the most important person in my life. Especially in a year where you also will notice a lot of negative feelings. As has just helped me a lot my friend. "
Red Bull one is already prepared for the World Championship Baby.
Vettel is relieved in the coming year, his team has contracts with the test pilots S嶵astien Buemi (25) and F幨ix da Costa (22) extended ahead. With the Russians Daniil Kwjat (19) is a third driver to work in the simulator added, would have to fly in for the Vettel from Switzerland
motorsport boss Helmut Marko told Bild. "The simulator next season is around the clock. . The can not afford Vettel "
Also handy: Vettel's new team-mate Daniel Ricciardo (24) lives right next to the factory in Milton Keynes (England). So Vettel can focus more on the race - and his little family!

Old 12-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #19
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,760
A BABY! how great is that!

With any luck it'll slow him down a little.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 08:09 AM   #20
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
A BABY! how great is that!

With any luck it'll slow him down a little.
No he will have to win more to pay for formula (1) for the baby!

Old 12-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #21
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
So you figure the slower teams will somehow be less restricted by the new fuel limit? They are slower so therefore they use less fuel? Interesting...
Assuming there is no waste, and the fact that some teams can't seem to keep the pace anyway, less fuel will not slow them down any more than is already the case. Faster teams will be limited by fuel they can use and will therefore have to cruise around the track slower to make it to the end. While faster teams are cruising around the track... Slower teams will seem to catch up!

Old 12-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #22
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 804
Gearing

I see that '14 cars will utilize 8 forward gears, as compared to the 7 of '13.

This could play in to strategy with the new fuel requirements.

Does anyone know if the gear ratios are locked/standardized, or are teams able to select their own? If the latter, then can things be altered for each race/track?
Old 12-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #23
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesurf View Post
I see that '14 cars will utilize 8 forward gears, as compared to the 7 of '13.

This could play in to strategy with the new fuel requirements.

Does anyone know if the gear ratios are locked/standardized, or are teams able to select their own? If the latter, then can things be altered for each race/track?
2014 gearbox, now have eight speeds must last longer and the gear ratios must be the same for half of the year

Quote:
The 2014 season will bring with it some of the biggest changes to Formula One racing’s technical regulations for quite some time. Not only is the sport adopting new 1.6-litre turbocharged V6 engines, there are also tweaks to the rules concerning aerodynamics and a far greater emphasis on energy recovery systems. We spoke to two technical directors - Toro Rosso’s James Key and Caterham’s Mark Smith - about the new regulations and what effect they’ll have on the design of next year’s cars, but first, here is a summary of the main changes:

Engine - it’s out with 2.4-litre normally-aspirated V8 engines and in with 1.6-litre V6 turbo engines, revving to a maximum of 15,000rpm. The current engines produce more than 750bhp, whilst the 2014 units will produce around 600bhp with additional power coming from Energy Recovery Systems (see below).

Gearbox - gearboxes are to have eight forward ratios - rather than the current seven - which each team must nominate ahead of the season.

Energy Recovery Systems (ERS) - in 2014, a larger proportion of each car’s power will come from ERS which, together with the engine, make up the powertrain or power unit. As well as generating energy under braking, ERS units will also generate power using waste heat from the engine’s turbocharger. Unlike the current KERS - which give drivers an extra 80bhp for six seconds per lap - the 2014 ERS will give drivers around 160bhp for 33 seconds per lap. To compensate for the extra power being generated under braking by ERS, teams will be allowed to use an electronic rear brake control system.

Fuel - to promote fuel efficiency, fuel will be limited to 100kg per race. At the moment fuel is unlimited, but teams typically use around 160kg per race.

Minimum weight - to compensate for the increased weight of the 2014 powertrain, minimum weight has been increased from the current 642kg to 690kg.

Exhaust - unlike today where two exhaust tailpipes are used, the 2014 regulations mandate the use of a single tailpipe which must be angled upwards to prevent the exhaust flow being used for aerodynamic effect. Additionally, bodywork is not allowed to be placed behind the tailpipe.

Nose height - for safety reasons the height of noses will be reduced in 2014. The maximum height is currently 550mm, whereas next year it’s 185mm.

Front wing - front wings will be a little narrower next year with the width reduced from 1800mm to 1650mm.

Rear wing - the rear wing will also look a little different in 2014 compared to this year’s models. The lower beam wing is being outlawed and the main flap will be slightly shallower in profile.

Old 12-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #24
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 70,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAnCrazymtl View Post
Assuming there is no waste, and the fact that some teams can't seem to keep the pace anyway, less fuel will not slow them down any more than is already the case. Faster teams will be limited by fuel they can use and will therefore have to cruise around the track slower to make it to the end. While faster teams are cruising around the track... Slower teams will seem to catch up!

Slow teams aren't slow because they're using less engine. They're slow because their mechanical and aero development is behind the leading teams. They'll have to manage their fuel just as carefully as the leaders.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #25
bluesurf
en dos ruedas

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
2014 gearbox, now have eight speeds must last longer and the gear ratios must be the same for half of the year
Thanks. So they have two overall gear ratios for the 8 forward gears, and those ratios must be specified prior to the start of the season. I'm assuming that means actual races.

Must that "half of the year" be consecutive, or in terms of number of races? Is there a limit to the number of times that the gearbox can be swapped?

I'm creatively thinking of how to manipulate the ratios, based on discrete track characteristics, in order to get the most out of the fuel.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #26
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
People have been saying that since 1955 and will be saying it every season to come. In twenty years people will look back to the 2014 formula wistfully.
I somehow doubt anybody will ever look back at the last season except as a wiki footnote wondering who that Vettel guy was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Slow teams aren't slow because they're using less engine. They're slow because their mechanical and aero development is behind the leading teams. They'll have to manage their fuel just as carefully as the leaders.
Until one of the backmarker teams keeps the engine set at "11" just to get some TV time before bringing out the safety car when they run out of go juice.

Seems to me the new regs play to Redbull more than any other team.
Except the weapons grade stupid DBL points rule...that just plays to Bernie's greed trying to keep ratings up.

Sent from my 'Droid using Boogerhook
Dilligaf0220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:52 PM   #27
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post

Except the weapons grade stupid DBL points rule...that just plays to Bernie's greed trying to keep ratings up.

Sent from my 'Droid using Boogerhook
It'll be random lawn sprinklers in the corners next....

I remember when I was a kid racing my brother on Scalextric....
we used to use the lemon pledge on the track occasionally for a little "fun"

Old 12-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #28
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I made the assumption that since the areo and other factors made the car more difficult to drive they would be off power sooner and back on latter so they would use less fuel over the same distance as a top shelf team. Also if their aero package sucks and are running less downforce, they should be using less fuel.... Therefore the top shelf teams run out of fuel sooner and cruise around for a few laps near the end to make it to the finish. Less fuel may also downplay the advantage of using high downforce in fast corners as RBR was famous for. Anyway, that's how I got to my theory of less fuel evens out the playing field! I could be wrong!

I think cars are les dependant on high downforce, it might also make the drivers who like twitchy cars seem faster than the rest!

If I was sure of everything I wrote, always correct, I would be working at Red Bull Racing!

Old 12-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #29
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 18,760
Nose height - for safety reasons the height of noses will be reduced in 2014. The maximum height is currently 550mm, whereas next year its 185mm.

The duckbills are gone?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:18 AM   #30
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Force India has officially confirmed Sergio Perez alongside Nico Hulkenberg for 2014.