Old 01-19-2014, 09:54 AM   #16
chrislitt
B-KTM-W

Oddometer: 94
Most interested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
Email with interest.
Email of interest sent to John's email address.

Is this a bad place to root for the 49er's? I am rooting for Denver today. Better?
Donate to your causes 'cause your enemies are outspending you! 2011 R1200GS Adventure,2009 KTM 300XCW, 2009 KTM 690R, Rotarian, Member of AMA / D36, NRA, CRPA, BRC, BMW MOA 174799. Happy to still be working though it interferes with riding!
chrislitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 05:10 AM   #17
Rock Junkee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
is it may yet??? cant wait much longer
Wife rides KTM 05 200 XC-W
2008 Honda Xr 650L
Rock Junkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:27 AM   #18
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,995
These are real nice to clean up with at the end of the day...it's what I'm bringing, light and easy to pack. You can get them on Amazon

Also this is a great product, so your not breathing in dust
http://wolfsnout.com

This is the one I have...
modette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:47 AM   #19
racerron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
I'm in !!!

May have a couple of questions for the guys that have been there and done that in Utah.

Bike choice, WR450f or XR650? I'm thinking the XR650

Tire's? DOT knobs like the Dunlop 606's

That's all for now, sure there will be more.
racerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #20
wolfbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Okay, okay... Too many awesome rides within reach. Looks this and the Colorado ride later in the year are on the calendar. I will see all you fine folks in May.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:18 PM   #21
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post

this is a great product, so your not breathing in dust
http://wolfsnout.com

This is the one I have...
How do you drink through those? That's always my upset with these things - pulling down, pulling them up every time I need a shot of water. So far the buffs are the easiest but I havent tried the wolfsnout.

12 year old boy - baddest-ass toy I've ever had
r'elise me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:04 PM   #22
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by r'elise me View Post
How do you drink through those? That's always my upset with these things - pulling down, pulling them up every time I need a shot of water. So far the buffs are the easiest but I havent tried the wolfsnout.
It's just foam, you could push the end of a Hydration pak up pretty easily...or the one I use I can just yank it out have a drink and put the Wolfsnout back in place.

If you do order one, let them know RMAR and you might get 10% off that is what they were doing last year. No promises though as I have not talked with them yet this year.

I'm also guessing you could put a slice in one and feed the tube in if you prefer to be able to be hands free like a racer.

All I can say is that they work, and its nice not having lungs full of dust at the end of the day.
modette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 09:17 PM   #23
TeamJunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I'm IN

Anyone riding up from Southern CA (Long Beach)

PM me.

WR250R
TeamJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:32 PM   #24
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Did I get it right...You're riding a WR250 from Long Beach!?
I'm planning on towing my 690E on a single rack behind my SUV from Venice CA or I'd be happy to join you on the ride - well not happy, but I'd try to be a real man and you probably wouldn't hear me pouting until we stop for gas.

Now if you were implying that you're towing and you have room for another body and bike, I'd be grateful for the ride and company (I hope) and of course I'll split the gas and miles. And if you have a trailer, we could tow with my LR4 w/ awesome stereo!

Old 01-22-2014, 05:36 PM   #25
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It's just foam, you could push the end of a Hydration pak up pretty easily...or the one I use I can just yank it out have a drink and put the Wolfsnout back in place.

If you do order one, let them know RMAR and you might get 10% off that is what they were doing last year. No promises though as I have not talked with them yet this year.

I'm also guessing you could put a slice in one and feed the tube in if you prefer to be able to be hands free like a racer.

All I can say is that they work, and its nice not having lungs full of dust at the end of the day.
Sounds like a good endorsement to me. I'll try one. Found this instructional on their website http://wolfsnout.com/hyration_pack_w...dust_mask.html

Old 01-22-2014, 05:44 PM   #26
wolfbuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
If extreme adventure riding is your flavor, then the Quien Sabe Ride will appeal. The QSR is a seven day ride where we will carry all our gear (no support vehicle), tent camping in some campgrounds. We will enjoy our mornings around camp, departing around 9am’ish and we will find a place to make camp each afternoon around 4-5pm. The goals are to experience some amazing riding, but also to have time around campfires to enjoy each other’s company. Camaraderie and great friendships will be built for life.

The appropriate mount is a plated, street-legal, dual-sport motorcycle that is in the 250-350lb range, 450-650cc, that can carry all the camping gear needed and is able to tackle rough trails. Examples would be a Kawasaki KLR650, Honda XR650, a Suzuki DR650, a Yamaha WR450, KTM500, etc….Expert level riders could tackle the ride on a larger bike like a KTM990ADV. Wolfman luggage is usually the brand of choice, as it is extremely tough and waterproof. You will need the clothing and gear that will protect you from elements, including rain, snow and heat, temps from the 20’s to the 100’s, and KLIM with Gortex is outstanding.

The RMAR Quien Sabe Ride is an invitation ride only. You can submit an application. (Email John requesting the application, john dot lane at rmariders dot org).

The Ride: Quien Sabe Ride
The Date: Dates are now tentative.....
The Start/Finish: Mexican Hat, UT
I tried to email John, but received a message back saying the delivery had failed. Is there any other way I can get an application?
Old 01-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #27
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbuzz View Post
I tried to email John, but received a message back saying the delivery had failed. Is there any other way I can get an application?
Type in the address and be sure to add the dot between john and lane.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #28
TeamJunk
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by r'elise me View Post
Did I get it right...You're riding a WR250 from Long Beach!?
I'm planning on towing my 690E on a single rack behind my SUV from Venice CA or I'd be happy to join you on the ride - well not happy, but I'd try to be a real man and you probably wouldn't hear me pouting until we stop for gas.

Now if you were implying that you're towing and you have room for another body and bike, I'd be grateful for the ride and company (I hope) and of course I'll split the gas and miles. And if you have a trailer, we could tow with my LR4 w/ awesome stereo!
Yes I'm riding a wr250r.
TeamJunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:09 PM   #29
r'elise me
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:

I like the one without the strap (Pro) but it says you have to have 2.75" of space between your face and chin bar. My XD3 doesn't have more than about an inch or so. I can't imagine a helmet having almost triple that. Does yours (the Race model) work in a tight helmet gap or do you recommend I get the one with the strap instead? I like the idea of being able to pull the filter off and talk without taking off the helmet.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:49 PM   #30
Christeon
The BIG TICKET

Oddometer: 31
You can also reach John Lane at marmaduke@binkmail.com or depending on his mood rockingmypinkdress@binkmail.com

I didn't realize this was a big bike ride, are there going to be any alternate routes for some more technical riding or is it just the nature of where we are going big bikes will get over it fine. I'm not whining just curious and want to know what to expect, this is exactly the area where I wanted to ride out west next and have always wanted to visit. I really wanted to make the QS600 last year but it's just such a trek for me to get out and back.

For anyone traveling I'm coming from Tuscaloosa, AL taking I-40 from Memphis on. I stop once on the way and try to get to the area a day early so I can acclimate to the altitude a day or two before we take off.

Speaking of altitude do you guys have an idea what our highest/lowest ranges will be this year. Also what should we expect for temps. I've barely been to Utah once and it was with you guys for like a mile or so. All I remember was it was hot and dusty.

As far as tires I run a Pirelli Scorpion XCMS up front, it's DOT legal and sticks to pretty much everything and I've been having great wear out of mine but I brake lightly on pavement to help it out. I'm getting around 2K miles out of that tire. On the rear I run a Pirelli Scorpion Extra X it's NOT DOT legal, it's worked perfect for me all over Colorado. It doesn't chunk on the rocks, continues to grip as it wears but on the last two rides I've worn maybe a third possibly half the rear over 1k miles and I'm not really nice to either tire off the pavement. I ride a lightly packed WR450F and even the weight out to that of the heavy bikes with myself.

On a personal note I got engaged on New Years and this will be my last trip with you guys as a bachelor barring an act of god that allows me to make it out there again this summer, or as some of you will say, unless she comes to her senses.
Christeon is offline   Reply With Quote