User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
KaHOnas OP
One big piston

Oddometer: 397
Stoopid deer...

So, last night around 9:30 I get a case of the munchies. I decide to make a run for the border, as it were. On the way back, possibly attracted to the smell of 12 tasty tacos and a burrito for the wife, a deer decides to walk out in front of me. I struck the little bastard but somehow managed to stay upright. See the minimal damage below.

His head hit the right headlight, then struck my right middle, ring, and pinky fingers. I think I may have broken my ring finger. There's some nasty bruising under the nail. His butt must have spun around and taken out my right pannier. I rode on, thinking "if it's broken now, it'll be broken when I get home". But, I stopped anyway and realized the right pannier was missing. So, I went back to find an older couple out picking up all the pieces. They were great people. He even helped me re-attach the repairable but momentarily unmountable pannier.

Not only am I fine (except for my finger) and didn't wreck, but the tacos were fine, as well. What a great night!

This message brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingDonkeys View Post
It's not an adventure unless you lose your pants.

KaHOnas screwed with this post 12-11-2013 at 07:17 AM
KaHOnas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,654
Well...as long as the taco's were good .

Bummer luck, glad you didn't get hurt worse. Those forest rats are hard to avoid.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Venison tacos!....
Forest rats...almost got smacked myself once, around sunset.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 459
Yet another reason why I don't ride at night. It's hard enough seeing road hazards without some random critter deciding to play Frogger.
Old 12-13-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Bummer about the deer but congratulations on keeping it upright! Just out of curiosity - how fast were you moving? And did that asshat deer have insurance?

Also - you might look into mounting a deer whistle to your machine. It works (according to studies) and if it only saves you once, it more than pays for itself.

Ride safely!
Old 12-13-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
GBAUTO
Bambi Assassin

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
Yet another reason why I don't ride at night. It's hard enough seeing road hazards without some random critter deciding to play Frogger.
+1
Learned that lesson the hard way on my SV riding home after dusk- Bambi did a bee-line for my headlight and set me over the bars and wadded up the forks on the bike. Glad I had my gear on and was just banged up a bit.
The bike is referred to as the 'Deerslayer' now...
'03 SV1000S

GBAUTO screwed with this post 12-13-2013 at 09:57 PM
GBAUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
KaHOnas OP
One big piston

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexaNate View Post
Just out of curiosity - how fast were you moving? And did that asshat deer have insurance?
I was doing about 35-40, I think. And, I never got a chance to ask him for his insurance card.

Quote:
Old 12-14-2013, 06:20 PM   #8
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 793
Glad you weren't hurt too badly. The same incident for me ended up with a shattered collar bone, 4 broken ribs, and a helicopter ride.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:31 AM   #9
KaHOnas OP
One big piston

I consider myself very lucky.

Quote:
Old 12-15-2013, 06:52 AM   #10
brewmann
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
I did my part and planted 4 in the freezer this year. I have never seen so many as I did this season. It is getting problematic, but don't tell the tree huggers that. Glad you are okay.
brewmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:56 AM   #11
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 737
Mmmmm tacos...

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #12
SgtDuster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,949
Quote:

Also - you might look into mounting a deer whistle to your machine. It works (according to studies) and if it only saves you once, it more than pays for itself.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #13
VHRAM
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 178
Glad your ok !
VHRAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
DougFromKentucky
Old Fart

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Bummer about the deer but congratulations on keeping it upright! Just out of curiosity - how fast were you moving? And did that asshat deer have insurance?

Ride safely!
What studies? The study I know of was the National Park Service and the US Forest Service mounted them as a trial in the mid 90's to their vehicles due to the high number of vehicles having deer strikes. The study was aborted after a couple of years as just as many vehicles had deer strikes with the deer whistles as without. Their study showed the whistles made absolutely no difference.

So, put the whistles on your bike if it makes you feel better having them on it but know that they don't work. Magic thinking rarely does.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

USMC 1970-1978: HMH-463 Evacuation of Saigon - April 1975, Evacuation of Phnom Phen during the Killing Fields Spring of 1975
DougFromKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #15
TexaNate
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougInKY View Post
What studies? The study I know of was the National Park Service and the US Forest Service mounted them as a trial in the mid 90's to their vehicles due to the high number of vehicles having deer strikes. The study was aborted after a couple of years as just as many vehicles had deer strikes with the deer whistles as without. Their study showed the whistles made absolutely no difference.

So, put the whistles on your bike if it makes you feel better having them on it but know that they don't work. Magic thinking rarely does.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky
I was unable to find the National Park Service/US Forest Service study to which you refer. I've been able to locate people referencing such a study, but not the study itself. Would you please link me to it?

It's good to be skeptical, but a poorly informed skeptic is as bad as (if not worse than) a poorly informed sheep sipping cool-aid (yes SgtDuster, I see you). If you're going to knock me by saying "know that [deer whistles] don't work", you better have done at least a quick Google search of your own, or referenced something - anything - to back up your own sage wisdom. You might be the wisest rider of us all, but we'd have to see some data!

The most statistically thorough study that I have been able to locate is probably the County of Modoc's (empirical data complete with a chi-squared test for significance), and Business Research Group, to name but two. See their conclusions for limitations (e.g. omitted variable bias when people who run deer whistles are also probably more likely to be more careful around deer in other ways). Nevertheless, their findings suggest that deer whistles make a difference.

As for whether this difference is worth the cost of a deer whistle, consider an argument of expected savings: Deer whistles run about $5 each - let's say $10 shipped and installed. Assume the probability of you hitting a deer in the foreseeable future is about 1/10, and the cost of such a collision would be around $1,000, estimating conservatively, obviously depending on your bike and speed and so forth (I think this is a fair estimate - tell me if I'm way off). Therefore, the expected cost of a deer impact (adjusted for probability) is $100. Now, we can't expect a deer whistle to save you from every deer impact (though the studies suggest that the whistles help a lot), but from this exercise in accounting we can see that a deer whistle only has to be 10% effective for it to be worth the cost - that's a conservative estimate. That's a pretty good deal and it deserves more than to be chuffed at as "magic thinking".

As I said before - if it only saves you once, however improbable that circumstance, it pays for itself a hundred times over. And if it never saves you, you're only out $10. That's 1/60th the typical cost of ABS on a new bike and a fraction of the cost of probably any piece of gear you wear. Worth it? Duh.

OP - sorry about the threadjack - I feel that this is a topic worth discussing and it's related to your crash.