Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #16
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,793
Kawi ER6n is a honkin nice naked standard, but I guess you plan on a new bike? They stopped bringing that one here. My friend bought one with 125 miles on it for $4000. Light feeling bike, a hot rod compared to the Honda 500 from what I've read.

One of the leftover Husqvarna-BMW 650s would be a great street bike. One has the cast wheels, Strada? IDK but there are threads on it here and deals to be had.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=850525

KTM Duke 690, it a hoot too. $8999. Naked and upright as they come.

Navin screwed with this post 12-12-2013 at 01:09 PM
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #17
Crisis management
Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer: 1,398
This is how I buy a bike:

Drive myself nuts dreaming about the really expensive things I can't afford or even ride to their limits, eventually set a budget and find a short list of bikes I think would suit.

Read every review I can of them specially "used" reviews and take what information I can from these.

Locate and look at and sit on each of the bikes still on my list and decide which one I want to buy.
# This is the really important step, I know when I see a bike in the flesh whether it really speaks to me and I know once I have sat on it whether or not it will be comfortable. All the review reading & info gathering has already told me whether the suspension will need overhauling, the bars changing or whatever.

Once I know which one to buy I will test ride one to double check it is the right bike, this may be a final conditoin of purchase ie; I will buy this bike for $5,000 as long as I'm happy with the test ride.

If you are not comfortable / skilled enough to decide on a bike by the research, look at and sit on method then you probably don't really know what you want and need to take a step back and spend hours tire kicking at bike shops as you work your way through it. Alternatively, if it's too hard to decide, pick a safe bet (Honda) buy one and enjoy riding it.

I can guarantee that (with the exception of a few obvious dogs) any mid sized upright bike is capable of doing anything you want. The rest of it's simply finding what makes you smile.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #18
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,508
No fairing, standard riding position? What about the CB1100. It's downright gorgeous as well. It feels fairly small, and I'm sure it has a lot less power than the 919. The price is a bit high though. There is also the base model Bonneville for quite a bit less.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:30 PM   #19
foxtrapper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by domingo3 View Post
Hi,

I also don't like the idea of test riding a bike off craigslist if I'm not serious about buying the bike - feel it's rude to waste someone else's time like that.

Thanks
If you test rode one and found you really did like it, would you buy it? If yes,then you really are a real and serious prospective buyer, and you really are shopping for a bike.

Sometimes it doesn't even take a test ride to know a particular model bike just isn't for you. Too tall/short/heavy/wide whatever.

So go check out bikes you might be interested in. Allow for models you weren't thinking of. Sometimes, it leads to remarkable surprises. For example, I was hunting a klr until I sat on one. Then maybe a pacific coast, and again, no. And then I accidentally rode a big harley. Not at all what I was thinking of(I'd only walked in to check out a helmet), but that was the bike.

Above all else, have fun shopping!
foxtrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:50 PM   #20
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
The thing is, a typical new-bike test ride, or even a test ride of someone's used bike that they are trying to sell - or for that matter, even a test ride where you rent the bike for the weekend - won't tell you all that much.

Even if you like the bike during the test ride, you could buy it and be frustrated by something that wasn't obvious at first acquaintance.

And just as likely, you could reject a bike because on the test ride it did something that you didn't want to hassle with fixing or thought couldn't be fixed. Whereas, if you had bought the bike, you might have fixed that irritating thing or got used to it, and then the bike would have been great.

But I think your underlying question is about wanting to downsize without ending up on what you term an appliance.

My suggestion for your usage profile would be to try out an air cooled Ducati, most obviously a Monster 796 but there are other options.

Shouldn't be hard to find a dealer who would let you try out a couple.

But then I am biased. Lots of people seem to like the SVs.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:34 PM   #21
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisis management View Post
i can guarantee that (with the exception of a few obvious dogs) any mid sized upright bike is capable of doing anything you want. The rest of it's simply finding what makes you smile.
+1
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:38 PM   #22
rodhersh
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Quote:
Almost all dealers I know of don't let people do test rides like car dealers do. I can kind of understand with the customers who refuse to buy a bike with 50 miles on the odometer and insist on a "new" one.
I've purchased new bikes from dealers and used bikes from private parties and have never purchased a machine that I hadn't ridden first. If you won't let me test ride your bike (particularly if it's used) it makes me wonder why. That being said I don't ask for test rides on bikes that I'm not interested in purchasing.

I had a 919 as well and loved it. How about a used R1200R?
rodhersh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #23
davidji
bike curious

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Almost all dealers I know of don't let people do test rides like car dealers do. I can kind of understand with the customers who refuse to buy a bike with 50 miles on the odometer and insist on a "new" one.
Some will let you buy but return it within a short time if you don't like it once you ride it. Not quite the same as a test ride, but prevents you from getting stuck with a bike you hated once you rode it.

Are you on BARF? I think BARFer Teddy of Fremont Honda Kawasaki Suzuki indicated that they've done this before.
davidji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #24
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,508
I have never test rode any new bike. 27 of them. And I only got bit once. An '09 Kawasaki EX500 that was on sale for more than 30% off. Just couldn't resist the price. Only after buying it did I find I was unable to ride it very far without serious pain, due the the sportbike like riding position. I sold it and only lost about $1500.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:42 PM   #25
westerlywinds
Two Wheels-Ride it

Oddometer: 162
test ride?

I bought a 1972 BMW R75/5 in 1976. no test ride,9000 miles covered in dust in a corner of his garage. Ten years and 180,000 miles later the damn thing burned a hole in a piston! I used it hard for those years. Work a few months then run till I was broke again. I said my permanent address was BMW motorcycle. lots of mountains camping off the trails .I thought it was a GS. Low first gear and lots of torque at low rpm. Well loved machine!
westerlywinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:31 AM   #26
domingo3 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Thumb

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am definitely not opposed to used. I am on a budget. Although I'd love a BMW or Ducati, I'm leaning towards Japanese bikes for lower purchase price and maintenance. Lighter weight is better since I have a basement garage I need to maneuver in and out of. Looked up the ER6N, and looks to be heavier than theSV650 and less common to find on the used market. Duke 690 looks light one of the lightest, but a little more pricy. How's maintenance costs on that one?

Thanks!
domingo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:21 AM   #27
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,793
The ER6n was a one or two year USA bike but I think it is still sold overseas. Same basic bike as the Ninja 650, and neither gets much respect so the prices are usually pretty low compared to bikes of the same vintage. Yeah, a 15 year old SV will be cheaper, and since they were here forever there will be more of them.

If you could get past the fairing deal, the Ninja 650 is really a standard in wolfs clothing, just like the 300. Sporty but still standards.

Those 650 BMW Huskys are pretty sweet and I think under $6,000 new right now.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #28
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions. I am definitely not opposed to used. I am on a budget. Although I'd love a BMW or Ducati, I'm leaning towards Japanese bikes for lower purchase price and maintenance. Lighter weight is better since I have a basement garage I need to maneuver in and out of. Looked up the ER6N, and looks to be heavier than theSV650 and less common to find on the used market. Duke 690 looks light one of the lightest, but a little more pricy. How's maintenance costs on that one?

Thanks!
The lightness numbers of the early SVs can be misleading - for an apples to apples wet weight comparison, compare the er6n with a gladius or SVF650 (446 lbs, or 3 lbs lighter than the er6n. whoopty doo )

Make sure you're comparing wet weights, too. (Which, for the older sv650 was around 415 lbs, wasn't it? see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_SV650 ).
Old 12-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #29
DustyRags
Idiot

Oddometer: 432
Hey, fellow Bay Area dud here (Oakland)!

Have you checked out the Nighthawk 750? They're cheap, dead reliable, constantly popping up on CL, standard, comfortable. Bit of a pig at close to 500 lbs, but reasonably well balanced. Not a wheelie machine, but plenty of oomph for the freeway. I love mine

Oh, and basically maintenance free. Only downside is they stopped making them 10 years ago, so they're getting a bit long in the tooth.

My riding buddy rides and SV1000, and apparently that'll wheelie in 3rd if she's not careful. Good bike, loads of power.

I say there's no issue with test riding a bike and then not buying. If you KNOW you're not going to buy, maybe call the seller and offer them $20 plus cash in hand to let you take it out for an hour. Worst they can do is say no :)
DustyRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #30
Rox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
How much this guy want to spend?
Rox is offline   Reply With Quote