ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-12-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
Idahosam OP
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
Our Backyard

Hi'ya all. Well I been sitting here at home either shoveling snow, watching Football or surfing this site when while watching this video it struck me. This Husband and wife team riding through Central Asia everything in the the video looked just like home. Tell me after watching this if you've not ridden someplace that looked exactly like it well except for the goose stepping. Hell! I don't need to spend a ton of money to get there... I've really always been there. Except for the culture difference's.

I swear I have ridden those places in Nevada, SE Oregon, Wyoming, Colorado, Idaho, and they look so much alike... or am I just losing it?

It's a good RR though

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

Oddometer: 2,685
world travel sounds neat and all, but i don't feel like i'm missing out on *that* much.

the northwest is a truly beautiful place to ride in! (what isn't gated, anyways)
Old 12-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #3
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,331
Yeah, but then you couldn't be cool and tell all your plastic friends that you went someplace exotic that the regular common folk can't afford. "Oooh I went to Cabo, got a penthouse suite, and sat on a beach with 50,000 other people"

I realize this ^^ attitude generally pertains less to riders than the Jetset crowd, but riders don't fit my Rant. Many times I feel sorry for this type of "Must go to exotic places" thought process. These people haven't seen the waterfall or beautiful river that is 50 miles from their home, but they feel better having been world travellers.

If you go to a restaurant/bar on a busy night in downtown Hood River, you will hear the loudest person in the room tell all that will listen all about the exotic places they've been to. And where they are going next. It makes them feel better, I suppose, so whatever it takes.

They have NO idea the most totally awesome places that we've been....within 2-300 miles from home, for about $40 a day, food and fuel. And they've NEVER slept under the stars in the forest. How sad is that?
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #4
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

yep.

i went to moab earlier this year, and it was like being on a different planet. AND, it only took about 16 hours (nonstop) to get there.

there is so much to see, right around here.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Ladukebob
lost in hood river

Oddometer: 1,749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Yeah, but then you couldn't be cool and tell all your plastic friends that you went someplace exotic that the regular common folk can't afford. "Oooh I went to Cabo, got a penthouse suite, and sat on a beach with 50,000 other people"

I realize this ^^ attitude generally pertains less to riders than the Jetset crowd, but riders don't fit my Rant. Many times I feel sorry for this type of "Must go to exotic places" thought process. These people haven't seen the waterfall or beautiful river that is 50 miles from their home, but they feel better having been world travellers.

If you go to a restaurant/bar on a busy night in downtown Hood River, you will hear the loudest person in the room tell all that will listen all about the exotic places they've been to. And where they are going next. It makes them feel better, I suppose, so whatever it takes.

They have NO idea the most totally awesome places that we've been....within 2-300 miles from home, for about $40 a day, food and fuel. And they've NEVER slept under the stars in the forest. How sad is that?
Sorry about that
findLadukebob
Ladukebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:10 PM   #6
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idahosam View Post
...they look so much alike... or am I just losing it?
You are not losing it, (at least not because of your take on this subject).

I have noticed the same thing. No matter where in the world a picture is taken, more often than not I can think of someplace in the PNWet that looks at least similar.

I have teased Radioman with this a few times, posting a local pic that looked much like a pic he had taken in some far-off land.

The more I see of the rest of the world, the more satisfied I am with home.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,331
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
The more I see of the rest of the world, the more satisfied I am with home.
Yep. That's all I was really trying to say.
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
I've said for years, just about every type of geographic feature in the world, we have here in the PNW. Many diverse climates as well.

I think we are missing "tropical jungle", "sea level desert", and "tundra".

But we do have semi-temperate rain forest just north of Brookings, and the Hoh temperate rain forests. Oregon dunes does a pretty good fake sea level desert and I know that the top of Steens mountain fakes 'tundra' pretty well well much of the year DAMHIK...

Speaking of Steens mountain, while the plant species are different, it does a REALLY good job of faking some high altitude desert in Africa. Just drive down the S. part of the loop.

I've had friends who got back from Europe, who commented that sections of the NW Willamette Valley is a dead ringer for some areas in England.

I've lived in S. Oregon most of my life, and there is STILL plenty places I haven't seen within a day's ride, buying a Sherpa last spring was getting the tool to remedy that.

But yeah, there are some places in S. American, Asia, Australia and Africa that E. Oregon could be a nearly perfect stand in. I almost wanted to joke with Radioman that he could have ridden in E. Oregon and Nevada and just told people it was S. Africa
Old 12-12-2013, 06:23 PM   #9
clapped_r6
The Spoad Warrior

reminds me of the "portland to dakar" icon video that was supposed to be traveling all over the world.

but they didn't!

Old 12-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #10
Voidrider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 992
I've thought about doing a tongue-in-cheek travelogue of visiting places like Cairo, Denmark, Norway, Lyon, Rome, etc. all in Oregon

Still a bit cheesed off the highway side for Odessa was removed and not replaced.
Old 12-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #11
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,873
You're losing it Sam. But so am I, so its good. Go south young man.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:33 AM   #12
Road Rash
Infamous

Oddometer: 18,557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
These people haven't seen the waterfall or beautiful river that is 50 miles from their home, but they feel better having been world travellers.

I haven't been everywhere, but have been to some pretty cool places outside of our fine state, but it wasn't until about 15 years ago that a co-worker (from California) started giving me shit for not seeing all of the cool stuff that we have right here in our backyard.........................."your a native Oregonian and you've never seen (all the places that I hadn't seen at the time)???"
That's when I started traveling the state to see what all I had been missing, and I had been missing a lot

My Ride Through Roatan
Road Rash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:28 AM   #13
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,229
While I generally agree with the sentiment and observations regarding our PNW--out of all the countries and states I've lived in, I like it here the best, and plan to keep this my home base for the long run--there is another dimension to traveling abroad and visiting and experiencing other cultures. It's not just about the terrain. Sure, from the inside that pub in Estonia could have been in N Portland, but the experience was far beyond the wooden bench seat I sat on. I for one enjoy the experience of being out of my accustomed element in everyday matters. I don't particularly like to go to the 'touristy' attractions when in another country, but rather seek to find the ground-floor culture of everyday life there. Doing that on a motorcycle, which I have not yet but plan to at some point, adds that other dimension to the enjoyment of being on a bike.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
cbmma1969
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 689
You're not losing it, you had to have it to lose it...

Actually I think I've followed you through some of those places.
The traveler is active; he goes strenuously in search of people, of adventure, or experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. DANIEL J. BOORSTIN, attributed, Voyages of Discover
cbmma1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
Mr Dual Sport
Roamer

Oddometer: 1,471
We DO have some of the best riding in the world in our backyard. I truly believe that. That's why I hardly ever leave here. That said, there are different cultures to be experienced. Even right here in our own country.
We're taking 30 days this June and going cross country. There will be lots to see. When we get back, all of what we love about HERE will still be here.