ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-13-2014, 12:32 PM   #1
Gregulator OP
Loves the dirt

Oddometer: 231
Thumb Quilcene to Sequim FS roads condition report

I had a great time on the FS roads on Friday. FS 27 was clear about 90% of the way from its south end to 28... At the crest of the hill a few miles short of 28!(where it wraps around to a north face) it has long stretches of packed snow. It was fine going downhill to connect to FS28 (which was all clear) but uphill would probably suck if you could do it at all.

Off of FS27, 2740 was a hoot up to FS 060. 060 is clear for a long ways but I did hit snow eventually, but it probably wont last long. 070 was clear to the end, as was 072 (great fun!) and 05. I bypassed the southern part of 28 via 27, but rangers said it is clear the whole way through.

If you havent been out that way it is great, 27 has miles of single lane paved road of the sort I'd previously gone to the Gorge for.
Gregulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 12:38 PM   #2
ClineDesign
Grandpa

Oddometer: 327
Do you have a Google map of this route. Sounds like a lot of fun!
ClineDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #3
Gregulator OP
Loves the dirt

Oddometer: 231
I usually avoid google/bing maps for anything dual sporty because they list a -lot- of roads that are gated or nonexistent; my recommendation for maps (besides a GPS) is something like a Benchmark Atlas or USGS map. This is doable with a piece of paper with turn by turn though, they are well-signed. I'll set a reminder for myself to chart this out for you when I get home.

Edit:
Yeah, as I expected Google Maps is worthless in that area. Half the roads don't exist on their maps (though they're clearly visible in satellite) and most that are seem to be mislabeled. Essentially you are connecting Penny Creek Road near Quilcene with Palo Alto Rd (or a lot of other options) near Sequim. I took a picture of the map at the Quilcene ranger station, here's a very big image of it:
http://imgur.com/4IqBJ9A
(on that page click it and zoom to make it huge)

The yellow is the route I took, the pink is very roughly where some of the good dead end roads were (they aren't on the map) and the orange are some other options. There looked to be a lot of different ways to get out of the woods.

Gregulator screwed with this post 04-13-2014 at 07:50 PM Reason: New information!
Gregulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:43 PM   #4
PNWRR
Carlos Anger

Oddometer: 800
Ranger maps are 'fairly accurate' for FS roads. Thanks for the conditions update, I haven't ventured out yet but I've got the itch. S00n.

PNWRR is offline   Reply With Quote