Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #16
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,151
I realise you put quote marks on "downgraded", and are most likely specifically thinking about older and/or used bikes versus new and expensive ones, but in the spirit of the topic, if not the letter-

I got a loan to acquire my 2009 BMW F800ST, brand new in early 2010.

I got it thinking it was probably going to be the last motorcycle I would ever buy brand new, justifying the eyewatering expenditure of time and hard earned money devoted to the undertaking, and given it being a BMW, well, I fell for the damned lies and hype about quality, craftsmanship and so on.

So, *that* was a gigantic FUBAR on my part, lol. Before the "warranty" expired, I traded it in on a Honda NC700X. Holy crap did I get hosed as I owned more money than the bike was worth, by several thousand dollars.

I am so happy now though! Getting rid of that godawful BMW albatross lifted a huge weight off my shoulders. Knowing then what I know now, I would have without hesitation willingly paid the same or more for my NCX as I did for the F800.

I "Upgraded"!
L.B.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 2,766
I went thru similar when I had my first child. I sold the 10k cruiser cause it was seeing less than 2000kms a year, and I felt I was tieing up a lot of money for nothing.

Not wanting to stop riding altogether, and those 2000kms are still enjoyable. I bought a DRZ for 1600 bucks and rode it for 3 years. Cleaned it up a little and sold it for 3k.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:01 PM   #18
N.Penley OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
A little more regarding my "downgrade."

My last street bike was a 2006 Harley XL1200R.

Please resist the urge to comment that anything is an upgrade from a sportster (However I understand there is some trouth to that). I loved the sportater but I want some storage, comfort, reliability, and character in my new to me toy.

Thanks to all who have replied.
N.Penley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #19
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,594
I went from the mega awesome KTM 950 to a Ninja 300 last year. I just needed a change. I like the light feel of the Ninja 250, hated the power, suspension, everything cheap about it. The 300 has the power bit covered, nothing else really.

So, dumped everything I got from selling the SMR into the 300. It was a downgrade for sure, but I go just as quickly on it. I have dumped $ into every aspect of the bike, it was brandy new and it works pretty well with the mods I did.

So, yes, you can have a ball on a cheaper bike. And no, I can't resist! Where you go down from the Sportster I can't tell ya! Craftsman garden tractor?
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
MacMcMacmac
Seahorse Farrier

Oddometer: 125
I downgraded by upgrading, from an immaculate GS1100E to a 2004 Bandit 1200S. The 1100 was more comfortable, and beastly, with the thump-thump-thump of that big roller bearing crank at idle. Time marches on though, and the Bandit has all the upgrades I was going to do to the 1100 built in from the factory. Still, it isn't the GS, and is somewhat anonymous by comparison. What finally swayed me in deciding which one to sell was the fact that getting insurance for 30 year old bikes is somewhat dodgy in Ontario for a daily driver bike, and despite the huge aftermarket for GS upgrades due to its popularity with drag racers, it is nearer to the end of the line for (stock) parts availability than the beginning, so I reluctantly sold it off and kept the more modern bike.

I was sorely tempted to downgrade to my 83 XS650 as an only bike for awhile, in a fit of commonsense and merciless analysis of how much, where, and how fast I ride, but I simply couldn't live with the lack of power, and again, the insurance factored in. Twas a pretty bike with the mods I made though. (I WANT A W800 DAMMIT!)

I'm happy with the Bandit, but it's really more than I need for how I ride these days.
MacMcMacmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Back in 2007 I sold my '01 Thunderbird because I wasn't riding it enough (or so I thought.) Less than 2 months later, the itch to ride was so strong I couldn't stand it, but I didn't have a bunch of money and didn't want to go into debt for a motorcycle, so for $800 I bought an 82 Spectre 750 and rode it for the next year and a half. Great bike apart from some intermittent electrical glitches (the bugaboo of old, neglected bikes like that.)

Smooth and powerful, and it kind of made me realize how much things had changed in motorcycling given that this was a "cruiser" style bike that had: A centerstand, full instrumentation, shaft drive, cast wheels, triple disc brakes, and even a fuel gauge! All this in a package that weighed right around 400lbs wet. The handlebars were horrible but that was a quick, $20 fix.

As I was shopping for my new-to-me bike, I have to say that more than once I thought I'd just get a $900 CL special and ride the piss out of it rather than get something more expensive and complicated. But ultimately I decided to go with a modern bike.

But, if I only had $1000 to spend? You damn betcha I'd get an old bike off CL. Riding is riding and around here at least (Denver) there are a LOT of great old UJMs gathering dust in people's garages that can be bought for a great price (the dry, CO climate helps keep them from deteriorating too fast, too.)
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #22
Shooter1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 440
Hey, I have a Craftsman garden Tractor and it's a damn sweet ride!
'00 FXDX SG Sport, '06 300XCW,
'07 EXC450, '98 RXCe620
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:06 PM   #23
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter1 View Post

A whole new kinda "potato-potato" potential with that rig too!
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #24
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,043
I think about downgrading most days.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:12 PM   #25
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
I bought an 82 Spectre 750

All this in a package that weighed right around 400lbs wet.
Ya, that's not happening

I'm thinking the wet weight on one of those beasts wasn't too far removed from 590 lbs at least...
Old 12-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #26
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.B.S. View Post
Ya, that's not happening

I'm thinking the wet weight on one of those beasts wasn't too far removed from 590 lbs at least...
You're right, 400 is too low but I don't think it was much over 500. Sure as hell wasn't 590, in fact I think my Scrambler was heavier than the Spectre and I want to say it was right around 480 or so.

EDITED TO ADD: Whoops, looks like I was wrong. Wet weight 264kg or about 580lbs.

It sure as hell didn't feel that heavy. Must have carried its weight low. My Scrambler always felt like it weighed a ton, which struck me as odd for an air-cooled parallell twin.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:17 PM   #27
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter1 View Post
Whatever gets your face in the wind.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:26 PM   #28
L.B.S.
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
It sure as hell didn't feel that heavy. Must have carried its weight low. My Scrambler always felt like it weighed a ton, which struck me as odd for an air-cooled parallell twin.
I know what you mean! My BMW was lighter and supposedly had nice low COG (F800ST) with the tank under the seat, but to me it never did.

My NC700X makes that thing feel like an Amazonas! The NCX really feels like it's an easy hundred pounds lighter the my old ST
Old 12-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #29
N.Penley OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Does anyone regret buying an inexpensive street bike? Have you spent more on repairs than the bike was worth and wished you had saved a bit longer to buy something newer, bigger, etc.???
N.Penley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #30
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Penley View Post
Does anyone regret buying an inexpensive street bike? Have you spent more on repairs than the bike was worth and wished you had saved a bit longer to buy something newer, bigger, etc.???
My very first bike was an absolute POS Honda CL450 that someone had "chopped" with extended forks, no front brake, home made seat and a tank off a different bike. That was really the only bike I regretted, but what can I say? I was 20 at the time!

Otherwise, I have enjoyed every used bike I've bought.

I'm fairly picky, a bike has to be in decent running condition before I'll even consider it. I've walked away from more bikes than I've actually bought, that's probably why I haven't had many bad experiences.