Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #31
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,553
I'd rather buy a really cheap new bike, or cheap used version of one with super low miles than one in need. Tires, brakes, drive stuff can add up to $500-800 pretty easily. Add a mechanical problem as simple as clogged carbs on a 4 cylinder and you just blew any savings of buying cheap.

Restoration is far more expensive than buying a super clean one in the first place.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #32
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,360
No.

But I have downsized. Went from a 1000 to a 650. The 1000 ate rear tires and got so-so fuel mileage.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #33
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Penley View Post
Does anyone regret buying an inexpensive street bike? Have you spent more on repairs than the bike was worth and wished you had saved a bit longer to buy something newer, bigger, etc.???
Only when I bought a sub 250cc bike. I think the big bikes which are not so built down are much more likely to be reliable.

Even then its been pretty close to break even, you just get unlucky sometimes and overall I am infront of more expensive.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #34
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I'd rather buy a really cheap new bike, or cheap used version of one with super low miles than one in need. Tires, brakes, drive stuff can add up to $500-800 pretty easily. Add a mechanical problem as simple as clogged carbs on a 4 cylinder and you just blew any savings of buying cheap.

Restoration is far more expensive than buying a super clean one in the first place.
Agree with this, make sure it only needs maintenance stuff. Cosmetics cost.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:30 PM   #35
Overdog
'Burghherfer.....

Oddometer: 233
Never had a shiny new bike. Bought a 74 R90/6 for $1100 back in 86 and rode it for 27 years....parked it this past summer when I bought a low mileage 83 Goldwing.....$2400
Overdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #36
Kikemon
Poseur

Oddometer: 249
"Downgrading" was the best decision I've made. I have had a lot of really nice bikes over the years and have owned as many as three at a time, but I went back to school and had to economize and simplify my life. I sold my bikes and picked-up a very clean 97 VFR because I always liked the look of them. I could not be happier. I was surprised how much I enjoy riding this bike and I have had bikes that cost 6x more than what I paid for it. I totally agree that it is not what the bike costs that matters. It is all about how well it fits what you need it for and whether it stirs you when you look at it. It helps to know what you want and it only took me 36 years of riding to figure it out!
Kikemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #37
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Penley View Post
Does anyone regret buying an inexpensive street bike? Have you spent more on repairs than the bike was worth and wished you had saved a bit longer to buy something newer, bigger, etc.???
Well, not really--at least in my case.

I was off bikes for 10 years--kids, school, etc. A friend basically gave me an old bike he had in the barn. Gave him a couple of hundred for it.

It took me nearly a year of learning how to work on bikes (rebuilding master cylinders, front calipers, rewiring regulator/rectifiers, etc.) to get it to run reliably.

But, I learned something new every time I worked on it and loved every time I got to ride out where the wild things are. Sure, it is not a fast bike, not the best looking, but it is a lightweight, fun bike. Riding anything is fun!

After two years, I bought something a bit newer.

I spent only about $600 more than your budget to get this one.

Only spent about half of your budget on the first one. Second bike is way more bike and I REALLY love riding it. But I am really having a hard time letting go of the '83 GR650. It taught me a lot and it is just a great bike to bop around on. I'm getting ready to polish the sidecases and repaint the bike.
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:06 PM   #38
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,593
SV!

"Downgrading" implies I ever owned anything nice in the first place.

I came really, really close to buying a new Ninja 300, but in the end the SV won out. Variable purposes. Proven tech. Reliable record. Tons of farkles. Good enthusiast community.

I've owned it barely six months, and I am utterly in love with it. The grins per minute when I hear the V-twin hoon me down Calvert Street in Baltimore is very, very high. This winter, I will modify it and farkle it to my taste, and come spring it's wheelies & track time. In the grand scheme of motorcycling, an 11 year old SV650 is not that big a deal. But in terms of enjoyment, I am having a great time.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #39
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Had a Monster 750. Was offered an R60/5 for $1200.00. Was sitting in a garage, needed carb cleaning, battery, tires, etc. Nothing hard to do. About a year later, the M750 got sold. BMW was just as much fun, and in alot of ways, more satisfying. And I made the down payment on out home with the money!
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:39 PM   #40
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chisenhallw View Post
SV!

"Downgrading" implies I ever owned anything nice in the first place.

I came really, really close to buying a new Ninja 300, but in the end the SV won out. Variable purposes. Proven tech. Reliable record. Tons of farkles. Good enthusiast community.

I've owned it barely six months, and I am utterly in love with it. The grins per minute when I hear the V-twin hoon me down Calvert Street in Baltimore is very, very high. This winter, I will modify it and farkle it to my taste, and come spring it's wheelies & track time. In the grand scheme of motorcycling, an 11 year old SV650 is not that big a deal. But in terms of enjoyment, I am having a great time.
Ain't it the truth! This one was farkled by another ADV inmate before I bought it. ZX6 shock, Progressive springs, stainless steel lines, R6 throttle tube (I went back to stock tube), Givi windscreen, Powerlet outlet installed and an extra rear seat pan that I mounted a hardcase on. Scorpion pipe too. Bit loud for my taste, but the sound of the SV is just intoxicating.

Whoops, appears I veered off topic.
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #41
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 649
For that price, maybe even $2500 - SV650 or used TU250x is what I would go with depending on what you are looking for.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #42
bearcat1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikemon View Post
"Downgrading" was the best decision I've made. I have had a lot of really nice bikes over the years and have owned as many as three at a time, but I went back to school and had to economize and simplify my life. I sold my bikes and picked-up a very clean 97 VFR because I always liked the look of them. I could not be happier. I was surprised how much I enjoy riding this bike and I have had bikes that cost 6x more than what I paid for it. I totally agree that it is not what the bike costs that matters. It is all about how well it fits what you need it for and whether it stirs you when you look at it. It helps to know what you want and it only took me 36 years of riding to figure it out!
Sage advice! I also suggest the 1st generation Suzuki SV650. You can find one in your $2K and under range, a lot of bike and smiles per mile for that money.

About 10 years ago I got back into street bikes with a "free" 1981 Honda CB900C that cost me $1000 to get it going. It had charging system issues, rotten tires, gummed up carbs, the usual barn find problems. It was a good start and I sold it for $900, not bad. I then progressed onto other newer bikes.

Two years ago I purchased a low milage 2006 Yamaha FZ1 for $4K (I know, not in your $ range) but I love that bike! I got a good deal on it... hint hint... and that made me like it all the more. Yes you can enjoy a bike for $2K, it keeps you in the wind. Check out those early 2000 era SV650s! Be patient because when you least expect it one will pop up, just be ready with cash to pounce on it!
bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:35 PM   #43
Chisenhallw
Avowed Pussbag

Oddometer: 5,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
Ain't it the truth! This one was farkled by another ADV inmate before I bought it. ZX6 shock, Progressive springs, stainless steel lines, R6 throttle tube (I went back to stock tube), Givi windscreen, Powerlet outlet installed and an extra rear seat pan that I mounted a hardcase on. Scorpion pipe too. Bit loud for my taste, but the sound of the SV is just intoxicating.

Whoops, appears I veered off topic.
NOICE! I have my connie for long range patrols, but for tearing around the city, the SV is just about perfect for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat1
Sage advice! I also suggest the 1st generation Suzuki SV650. You can find one in your $2K and under range, a lot of bike and smiles per mile for that money.
What he said. It's what we did, & I'll never look back.

If I had the garage to support it, I'd get an RC8. If I could afford the insurance (and didn't think it'd get stolen), I'd get a GSXR650. But the SV does me just fine. Got mine with 5700 on the clock for $2300 from an inmate.
I review motorcycles for 2wheelsandamotor.com LoPL Twisty Weekend
Chisenhallw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #44
JerryH
Banned

Oddometer: 5,069
Quote:
Originally Posted by radianrider View Post
Well, not really--at least in my case.

I was off bikes for 10 years--kids, school, etc. A friend basically gave me an old bike he had in the barn. Gave him a couple of hundred for it.

It took me nearly a year of learning how to work on bikes (rebuilding master cylinders, front calipers, rewiring regulator/rectifiers, etc.) to get it to run reliably.

But, I learned something new every time I worked on it and loved every time I got to ride out where the wild things are. Sure, it is not a fast bike, not the best looking, but it is a lightweight, fun bike. Riding anything is fun!

After two years, I bought something a bit newer.

I spent only about $600 more than your budget to get this one.

Only spent about half of your budget on the first one. Second bike is way more bike and I REALLY love riding it. But I am really having a hard time letting go of the '83 GR650. It taught me a lot and it is just a great bike to bop around on. I'm getting ready to polish the sidecases and repaint the bike.
Don't get rid of the GR650. "Modern" bikes come and go. That GR is a classic, and you will not likely find another one in that condition. It even has a centerstand. And look at that seat. All day comfortable. I would love to get my hands on a bike like that.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:21 AM   #45
ZappBranigan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
If I was a new rider looking for a first bike, or if I didn't have the money for a newer bike and just wanted something to ride, I'd be all over this:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4223707531.html

1982 Kawasaki 550 LTD. 4 cylinders, 50hp, 6 speed tranny, full instruments and a center stand. $900. Change out the hideous buckhorn handlebars for $20 and you've got a great all-around bike. Throw on a new set of tires, clean the carbs and you're still well under $2k.

I see these a lot here in CO. I think the dry climate causes less corrosion and wear than in other, wetter parts of the country.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote