Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 07:40 AM   #46
N.Penley OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
I am looking for something to make my 30 mile (each way) commute more enjoyable and rip up the Northeast TN mountains on the weekends (with or without my lovely wife). Something that looks good sitting in the garage would be a plus. Cruiser, duel sport, sport, standard, touring, etc. I don't care as long as it is cheap and fun.

My $2,000 budget is set from the sale of a ton of junk recently sold while renovating the garage.
N.Penley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #47
N.Penley OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post
If I was a new rider looking for a first bike, or if I didn't have the money for a newer bike and just wanted something to ride, I'd be all over this:

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/4223707531.html

1982 Kawasaki 550 LTD. 4 cylinders, 50hp, 6 speed tranny, full instruments and a center stand. $900. Change out the hideous buckhorn handlebars for $20 and you've got a great all-around bike. Throw on a new set of tires, clean the carbs and you're still well under $2k.

I see these a lot here in CO. I think the dry climate causes less corrosion and wear than in other, wetter parts of the country.
That's a clean 550 but it would cost me more to get it home than the asking price.
I would have to fly out and then pay for fuel and food for a 2 day trip home in December. Shipping wouldn't be ADV approved!
N.Penley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:56 AM   #48
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,303
If I downgrade anymore than I have in the last 15 years, I won't have any bikes left. The last one was a bare chassis with a motor & some other stuff.
I went from a Concours, to VStrom, to a 250 Sherpa and a bunch old junk that doesn't run. And now my son wants the Sherpa. Being a poor Art student, I'm likely to get downgraded out of existence some time soon.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #49
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Penley View Post
That's a clean 550 but it would cost me more to get it home than the asking price.
I would have to fly out and then pay for fuel and food for a 2 day trip home in December. Shipping wouldn't be ADV approved!
You're missing the point.

There are deals to be had right frickin' now. So, go beat the bushes and see what shakes loose.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #50
shakeybone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
I sold my BMW and bought a 82 Suzuki GS650E on cl for $500 about 4 years ago. Dirt cheep to insure and registrar. Easy to work on. Fun to ride. I have done almost nothing to it other than regular maintenance.
shakeybone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #51
Milar
Life is an adventure.

Oddometer: 337
I've generally found riding enjoyment is not dependent on $$$$'s spent.

I have as much fun riding my $3,000 bike as my $13,000 bike.

M
Old 12-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #52
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,112
I have 40 years of "down grading".
Bought 2 "New" bikes in my entire life: a 1969 Honda Trail 70 and a 1971 Honda SL 175...over a seventy + odd bikes later, it's been a constant "down grade" ever since 1971.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #53
nbsdave
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
bought 2 new Harleys, downgraded to a Valkyrie, then an R1200c, then a new Vstrom 650, then to a 2003 Nighthawk (with 12800 mi. and Givi bags). Want to downgrade again, this time to an older cruiser but can't sell the Nighthawk for 3400 (or so). Guess I'll wait till I do.
Just want something to climb on and go for a hundred mile ride-or a 40 mile ride, just to feel the wind.
There is a lot of life left in many older bikes and the ability to tinker makes me happy too.
nbsdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:26 PM   #54
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Penley View Post
Tell me about trading for or a cheaper, slower, older, uglier, etc. bike.

I havent had a street bike in almost 2 years and am on the hunt. With a new baby in the house I am not willing to spend above my $2,000 budget. I have never owned a "cheap old bike" and need encuragment.

Can less truely be more?

Tell me about trading or selling your nice, fairly new, and clean ride and picking up an old dirty out dated motorcycle. did you love it or hate it?
Add 1k to your budget and I'll sell you a sweet '95 K75 ABS. It is certainly not slow or ugly.
2013 KTM 500 XC-W
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:39 PM   #55
BeeCeeGS
WeaponOfMassDestruction

Oddometer: 1,786
I sold an R1150GS because I couldn't justify having so much $$ tied up in a bike, and ended up buying a '93 VFR. The VFR has close to 130000 miles on it now, but it still looks very good. I tried to sell it with GIVI bags, Corbin Seat, heated grips, a nice Wilbers shock, and new tires a while back, and couldn't get a serious bite with an asking price of $1800. This winter, I'll give it a bit of love, and figure I'll just keep riding it until the day comes that I can afford what I really want. Considering what it will do, and how little it's worth, there's just no point in selling now.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #56
DavesNotHere
Aging squid

Oddometer: 273
Went from a FZ1 to a TU250x. Zipping around on 1/4 of the engine is actually more fun. I like that is retro and inexpensive too.

2014 Red Honda CBR500R / Location: Colorado
DavesNotHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:24 PM   #57
Dilligaf0220
Miserablist

Oddometer: 4,531
I know a few guys that parked their literbikes for smaller commuters. Though mostly for self preservation & law enforcement reasons. They still have fun. Small sumo's have taken off here, mostly because they are quick enough to cut through the sea of commuter cagers, while keeping the odds of crushing law enforcement revenue generation to a minimum.

There's plenty of groups around that do 125 or 250 only group rides.

Then again I am trying to justify a new Diavel to myself as a practical daily commuter.

Sent from my 'Droid using Boogerhook
Dilligaf0220 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 03:46 AM   #58
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 442
Any vintage groups in your area? Really active group of vintage riders/restorers/modders in Indy (https://www.facebook.com/groups/116447828446737/) and they really love their old bikes. Several of them fix 'em up and sell them on. Some real craftsmen in the group. The rides are generally pretty near your budget. Might find a really good bike through a group like that if you have one in the area.

Most ride the old bikes because they are relatively inexpensive to buy, repair and insure. I've ridden with some of them and they know how to wick it up in the curves. Sure look to me like they are having a great time and they don't seem to feel like they've downgraded.

Doesn't hurt if you don't mind turning a wrench, or wielding a polisher. Can really turn an old rat bike into an object of envy with some elbow grease.
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #59
radianrider
Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer: 442
And if you need some inspiration

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=482885

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/4234794361.html

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/4244353375.html

radianrider screwed with this post 12-16-2013 at 04:17 AM
radianrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:21 AM   #60
mdouglas71
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
I think anyone with a nicer bike will pretty much downgrade to a adventure/dual sport bike if they're on this forum. Theres nothing wrong with downgrading... Less amenities and nice of a bike = more raw riding experience. Riding around in a dual sport, it changed my riding style a lot..
mdouglas71 is offline   Reply With Quote