User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
LostInmate OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
1992 FLHS, good or bad??

Well I like HD's, and my wife like to ride two up. I can't stomach the price of new ones, but I found what appears to be a well cared for '92 FLHS in great shape at a nearby dealer.
I called them for a qoute, and they have it priced at 6200 but will take any reasonable offer. 5000 sound reasonable to me.

My question is are these reliable bikes and what should I be aware of when looking at it?
This one has 64K on it, and we like to take out of state rides every as often as possible so I need something reliable.
It is a great looking bike, but I know very little about HD's.
LostInmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
inline4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 810
Laugh Harley forum

Best to search a Harley forum....than feedback from ADV assholes...

5k probaly won't work...6k is more like it.
Old 12-14-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInmate View Post
Well I like HD's, and my wife like to ride two up. I can't stomach the price of new ones, but I found what appears to be a well cared for '92 FLHS in great shape at a nearby dealer.
I called them for a qoute, and they have it priced at 6200 but will take any reasonable offer. 5000 sound reasonable to me.

My question is are these reliable bikes and what should I be aware of when looking at it?
This one has 64K on it, and we like to take out of state rides every as often as possible so I need something reliable.
It is a great looking bike, but I know very little about HD's.
Just like with anything, how well it was take care of and how much it is modified make a huge difference. If it is stock, or stock with just intake, exhaust and jetting difference, and well maintained, it should be ok. If it is hotrodded that shortens engine life. Sometimes a lot. This bike is 22 years old!, so has only been ridden about 3K miles per year. I think you can do a lot better for the same money.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 722
Not having seen the bike it's hard to declare "you can do a lot better for the money". Harleys like BMWs and some others tend to level off at certain depreciation levels and I would check NADA, ebay, cycle trader et al, to see the range that model or any other possible contenders are being advertised (always the dreamers that think theirs is worth more than any reasonable offer out there).

Harley will still sell a new crate motor to you, but shy of that the evo is a very easy engine to work on. There were several updates made during it's lifetime from Post AMF to their end as the TC variations came to be. Same could be said for the rest of the bike as far as brakes, electronics, etc., but there are tons of aftermarket support and individuals/indie bike shops to do any type of work you may wish for help to do.

Bottom line is if it appears well cared for and runs well, take a ride by yourself and with SWMBO and if YOU guys like it, negotiate a deal, they are great bikes even with some birthdays under their belt. +1 on checking a few dedicated evo boards for research on what to look for etc.

Cheers
bobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
LostInmate OP
Adventurer

Thanks guys

Thanks, I'll check with some Harley folks. The cool thing about that dealership, is they sell HD's and BMW's and have a great reputation.

I showed the pictures to the wife, we're heading up there Tuesday to take a look around.
I may just see what they can put me on for 5k, I really like all kinds of bikes. Love my Vulcan, but I'm starting to feel the itch for something else. Wife says she wants all day comfort, so may have to be an older dresser type Harley or even a Goldwing.
Off to do some research, I'll let you know how Tuesday goes.
Old 12-14-2013, 06:37 PM   #6
Murf2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Go for it! The FLHS is a nice bike. We have an 89 FLHS. Some bikes have come & gone but it will stay. Had the heads ported by Branch when it was close to new. We added a Supertrapp, 40mm Mukuni and an Andrews EV21 in at the same time. Ran it till around 130K , then saved the ported heads and put them on a factory remaned motor. I bought a 2000 Road King & the wife rode the 89. I liked the 89 so much better it wasn't funny. The Evo FLHS & Road King fell so much smaller than the later ones. Good luck with getting it bought! I bet you will like it.

Murf
Murf2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:25 AM   #7
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 961
I ride a 1992 FXRP with 40k miles and I would take her anywhere, very reliable bike. Depending on condition/location the bike you describe is not priced out of line.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #8
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksbonneville View Post
I ride a 1992 FXRP with 40k miles and I would take her anywhere, very reliable bike. Depending on condition/location the bike you describe is not priced out of line.
I agree except I'd shoot for $5000 out the door, the FLHS has the "toaster" guage cluster and many folks don't like that... Harley agreed and in 1994 came out with the Road King in response. The Evo and '92 trans should be fine if properly maintained but again, that particular model the Electra Glide Sport should come at a discount compared to other touring models.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:34 AM   #9
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,057
Don't know about the whole bike, but they have good reputations. That is an EVO powered bike, and they are known to be reliable, unless it has been modified in an attempt to make more power. No cam chains to break, and no tensioners to fail. Easy to work on and can be rebuilt many times. LOTS of parts availability.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #10
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Don't know about the whole bike, but they have good reputations. That is an EVO powered bike, and they are known to be reliable, unless it has been modified in an attempt to make more power. No cam chains to break, and no tensioners to fail. Easy to work on and can be rebuilt many times. LOTS of parts availability.
This is going afield of the original thread but I gotta call bullshit. It all depends on the mods and the subsequent use. I've been riding Evo's since they were new. I've never owned a stock Evo, well not for long anyway, and I've never had to rebuild an Evo due to a high performance related mechanical failure. Ever.

A mild cam, (up to say, an Andrews EV46 on a light bike or an EV27 on a touring bike) head work, porting and or larger valves, compression increases, (10-1 pistons or shaving the heads) air cleaner, a Mikuni HSR42 or S&S Shorty, decent exhaust system, aftermarket or Screamin Eagle ignition modules, these are all proven power boosters for Evo Harleys and they'll all run as long as a stocker given regular maintenance and decent treatment. No lugging the motor, maybe use an oil cooler, and limit your trips to 6000 rpm.

Even big bore bikes and or strokers can run 100K or more if the owners not a complete idiot. Let it warm up before riding, (until the valve covers are warm to the touch and then don't jump on the throttle for a couple of miles) DON'T lug the motor, DON'T over rev the motor, DON'T overheat the motor. Change the oil every 3000 miles. So simple even a caveman can do it.
woodnbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:22 PM   #11
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
'92 flhs

I owned one. Worst seat ever. But a back rest transformed it.
It came with a primary cover leak. Installed an Andrews cam, S&S Super G, SuperTrapp cans. When pulling the top end off the rear cyl piston ring gaps were in alignment allowing compressed fuel to blow through and leave deposits down the cyl wall. Corrected that. In 1985 HD had dead batteries because the plug connecting the rectifier to the stator at the front of the case would come loose and leave one without a battery. In 1986 they installed a simple wire spring on one case stud to hold the plug in place. By 1992 they decided they didn't want to do that anymore and I sat for an hour or so on the interstate between Cincinnati and Indianapolis. A lot of people stopped to help, one came back with a trailer and delivered me to his friend's garage where they charged the battery. The HD family is really good and has thousands of prospects wearing t-shirts. You will make new friends wherever you go.

It handled surprisingly well, even with the Dunflops but those tires were terrifying on wet streets. Overall a good ride and despite some quality control issues, reliable. I could cruise easily at 85 all day (with the mods above) but the windshield made for some barely perceptible front end vibration, so minor that I was riding for miles on an interstate wondering if it was me or the bike. The windscreen allowed me to ride with a half helmet, still with earplugs, yet less noise than a full coverage helmet. I did a lot of back roads, passing in some very questionable places, and really enjoyed the bike. Chirped the front tire with some very aggressive braking to slow for a turn once after passing three cars. Still very stable.

Red. Girls loved it.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:23 AM   #12
Shooter1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
I put 43K miles on my '89 FXRS-Sp. It had a SE drop in cam, ignition, Kerker pipe, Mik HS40. Totally bulletproof bike, never a problem and alot of fun especially stoplight to stoplight. Like any other motor, some EVO years are a little better than others but regardless of year, if you maintain it properly and don't run the crap out of it all the time it will serve you very well. The EVO motor is the 350 Chevy small block of motorcycling.
'00 FXDX SG Sport, '06 300XCW,
'07 EXC450, '98 RXCe620
Shooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
marshrat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2 View Post
Go for it! The FLHS is a nice bike. We have an 89 FLHS. Some bikes have come & gone but it will stay. Had the heads ported by Branch when it was close to new. We added a Supertrapp, 40mm Mukuni and an Andrews EV21 in at the same time. Ran it till around 130K , then saved the ported heads and put them on a factory remaned motor. I bought a 2000 Road King & the wife rode the 89. I liked the 89 so much better it wasn't funny. The Evo FLHS & Road King fell so much smaller than the later ones. Good luck with getting it bought! I bet you will like it.

Murf
Could you expand on what characteristics of the 89 you liked versus the 2000? I know I like the sound of the Evo better than the TC.
marshrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:34 PM   #14
anotherguy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,400
Jerry knows Harleys. He parked next to one once.

64K is getting up there but if it's well maintained an Evo can go 100K+. You'll need a factory service manual and some basic hand tools to care for it but they are easy to work on.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:34 AM   #15
LostInmate OP
Adventurer

No Go on the FLHS

My offer didn't go thru. I offered them 5K out the door. They laughed, I laughed we'll see if how long they want to keep it.

oh well. I'll keep cruising craigs list.