User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 06:03 AM   #1
samthg OP
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,491
SoCal Scooterist's Meanderings

My third ride with a group of scoot's here in Southern Calif. The plan was was to head out to 'The Great Park' in Irvine, and go ride on a helium balloon. SoCal weather was, well, SoCal weather-80 degree's.

The group 'thing' has been ton's of fun. Lots of good folks with different backgrounds and a love of scooters. It continues to crack me up watching the people that are watching us. At stop lights, windows are rolled down with kids hanging out waving, it's a blast!

Ready to leave my shop(and people always ask, "What's a SYM?" & "What's ADV?")

On our way

That's what we're looking for

My group is up there, and since I'm not at the controls and it has NO wings, me likes terra firma.

I left the group early for a lunch date with my son. I headed home past my old flying grounds, The John Wayne Santa Ana Orange County Airport.
Great day to be on the scoot!

samthg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Nice post, Samthg. How is riding a scooter around OC these days? I ask because in the not-to-distant furture my wife and I will retire and live part of the year in our Aliso Viejo townhouse (the other times in Prescott AZ) and I always thought we would just bring our Prius and one of the scoots, leaving my truck in AZ. A little concerned about the intensity of the traffic as people seem to drive very fast and agressive and change lanes a lot. I haven't lived in OC since right after college and that was in the early '80's, but once in a while visit but only in the car. Figured it would be fun to ride the scoot to the beach, shops, etc, but wonder how dangerous it might be with all that traffic...
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:58 PM   #3
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,500
There is a local scooter club I may get involved with after I retire next year. Just don't have the time now. Been up in a hot air balloon, but never a helium balloon.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
samthg OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaBETAdog View Post
How is riding a scooter around OC these days?
Pre congratulations on the retirement. AV is one of the area's that my son is currently searching out for a condo.

The riding is never easy in SoCal, pre occupation of drivers' is always a battle. Gigantic suv's & cell phones are never a good mix. I just operate under the premiss that I cannot be seen, so expect the worse.

As a matter of fact, yesterday was one of the closet calls I've had in a very long time. On the scooter, I was in the middle lane of a 3 lane type blvd., with nobody in front of me or behind me. I'm watching this dude, on my right, attempting to turn left out of a shopping center. He looked at me 3 times, and when I was nearly right on him, he took off out of the center directly in front of me. Full brake squeeze with no swerve and I just missed him. He held up both hands and said sorry. I wasn't even pissed, cause "I knew" he was gunna do that.

Being in AV, you're close to the coast & Ortega Hwy, a great place to ride any kind of moto's, but weekends suck. Since you'll have weekdays, a bit easier for you.

Congrats again, nice couple of places to have second homes.

Thanks for checkin' in.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #5
samthg OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
There is a local scooter club I may get involved with after I retire next year. Just don't have the time now. Been up in a hot air balloon, but never a helium balloon.
Jerry,

This is how I found this group. You've got many to choose from.

http://scooter-club.meetup.com/cities/us/az/chandler/

...and the helium balloon. I guess this is a first around here. No gas fumes to screw up the planet. Hey, it's CA.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #6
RedRockRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post

Too much fun . . . lots of bling on some of those scoots.

Your red scoot looks clean and classic. Perhaps Santa will have to bring you some doodads to fancy it up for those group scoot rides.

RedRockRider - WR250R, TW200, Versys, Vulcan 900 LT, Zuma 125

Southwest Utah: Dual Sport Riding from St. George
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=725976
RedRockRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
samthg OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockRider View Post
Too much fun . . . lots of bling on some of those scoots.

Your red scoot looks clean and classic. Perhaps Santa will have to bring you some doodads to fancy it up for those group scoot rides.
Hey RRR,

I had forgotten you're a 'closet' scooterist also. We don't get to see that Zuma(?) much in your thread.

Your right, time to fancy it up a bit, maybe a hideous hood ornament will do the trick.

What this scoot really needs is some UT miles on it. Possibly it'll be in the truck also on the next trip.

Till next time...
Old 12-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #8
quasigentrified
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 639
scooter clubs are great. not much for posers, plus everyone is a genuine goof-off. only problem is that scooteristas are to bars what power rangers are to starbucks, and as a result we occasionally we have a man (or woman) down... :-(

bike groups all have their own character. the pnwrider set is predominantly squids and track riders, and the local hog chapters take themselves just a BIT too seriously. my workplace is almost entirely pseudo-adv snobs of the beamer variety. wish we had more mixed bike groups...

quasigentrified screwed with this post 03-01-2014 at 09:51 PM
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:55 PM   #9
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaBETAdog View Post
Nice post, Samthg. How is riding a scooter around OC these days? I ask because in the not-to-distant furture my wife and I will retire and live part of the year in our Aliso Viejo townhouse (the other times in Prescott AZ) and I always thought we would just bring our Prius and one of the scoots, leaving my truck in AZ. A little concerned about the intensity of the traffic as people seem to drive very fast and agressive and change lanes a lot. I haven't lived in OC since right after college and that was in the early '80's, but once in a while visit but only in the car. Figured it would be fun to ride the scoot to the beach, shops, etc, but wonder how dangerous it might be with all that traffic...
Head east on the Ortega. Its been recently made "friendlier" but I avoid it on the weekends for the knuckleheads who think they know how to ride just cause they know how to make their motorcycles move.

Its 45 mins to Elsinore, gateway to Temecula, then the deserts and great riding along the way.

gogogordy screwed with this post 12-18-2013 at 05:43 AM
gogogordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #10
samthg OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
scooter clubs are great.

While I still enjoy the long range touring on my big bike, the scooter club just makes for a great day with some genuine good folks.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:40 AM   #11
samthg OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogogordy View Post
Head east on the Ortega.gateway to Temecula, then the deserts and great riding along the way.
My favorite local riding.

The Ortega east bound on a weekday morning is fantastic(especially with cloud cover, the sun can make it darn tough).

79E, Warner Springs, Lake Henshaw, Montezuma Grade, Borrego Springs, Mesa Grande Rd., Mt. Palomar & etc........

gogogordy, you are certainly close to all the good stuff.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:27 PM   #12
tclhb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Hey Sam! Nice riding with you all last Sunday!
Tom
tclhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #13
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
My favorite local riding.

The Ortega east bound on a weekday morning is fantastic(especially with cloud cover, the sun can make it darn tough).

79E, Warner Springs, Lake Henshaw, Montezuma Grade, Borrego Springs, Mesa Grande Rd., Mt. Palomar & etc........
^^^this^^^
Old 12-20-2013, 07:09 AM   #14
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Thanks Samthg & gogogordy on the tips for riding in South OC. I do remember the Ortega Hwy, and from there I guess lots of places to explore. A bit worried out this up coming retirement and what I will do there in AV. My wife says we can go to the beach, but after a couple of times then what? I also do trail and dual sport riding in the relatively wide open AZ. I know that is not even possible in SoCal.
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #15
samthg OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclhb View Post
Hey Sam! Nice riding with you all last Sunday!
Tom
Tom,

Welcome to the ADV asylum. There's lots of good stuff in here.

Last Sunday was a blast. The scoot group has been a great experience for me, lots of good folks on scooters. My three rides with the group has taken me to places that I've never been before.

I can't make the xmas ride tomorrow due to work, but I do plan on making Jan's ride.

Sorry I didn't get to stay the whole ride with you hooligan's. I took off early to meet up with my son in Irvine.

It was great chatting with you, hope you can make the next ride.

Till next time...

Sam