http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:12 PM   #92
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
I wish we could get that many scooters together around here.
klaviator,

I still just shake my head at the reaction our group gets as we buzz by the pedestrians, lots of pointing and smiling as we go by.

Time to form your own group...
http://www.meetup.com/find/?allMeetu...1&sort=default , I'll join!!

Sure love looking in on your thread with that mighty scooter taking on the big iron. You can bet you're gettin' plenty of looks yourself.

Thanks for checking in,

Sam

Southern California from a scooter;
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=941261
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:16 PM   #93
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
Red Bud,

As you walk through the flags it's very, very humbling.

They truly gave all.

Old 06-01-2014, 06:47 PM   #94
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.

Memorial Day group ride

Nearly a week late, but a few shots from our Meetup scooter group.

Our meetup spot was the usual In-n-Out burger in Long Beach with 23 bikes showing up, a nice turnout!

My ride started at 6am to catch a few quite hours at work, since we're closed on the holiday. Good opportunity to jump up on the 405 freeway for the 15 ride mile. This is my daily exit.

Good parking spot

The ride took us from Long Beach north through Turnbull Canyon, which are small foothills that separate Whittier from Hacienda Heights. A great ride through the canyon with many twists & turns that kept your attention up.

Tom, on his beauty of a BV350. That bike has some serious touring miles on it. Tom owes us a ride report from that trip up HWY 1!

A shout out to Alison, who lurks here, and showed up for our Turnbull ride. Nice HD Alison, they are wonderful bikes.

Hanging out with the scooter folk, is always a blast.

Thanks for lookin' in!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #95
tclhb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
Good post Sam! Another fun ride!
tclhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:45 PM   #96
MichRocks
Sunset Rider

Oddometer: 157
You guys are lucky. Nice to know some people share the fun that can be had on these. I was hoping to find some like minds when I took off on a recent trip;

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2583

As far as I could tell, I was the only scooter rider there- maybe between 10,000 and 15,000 bikes.

BUT...!!! Seeing all the fun I am having has had an impact on my wife. Today she asked me if I would like to take her to see if she would fit a Burgy 200. When I bought my bike, the shop that sold me the Forza only had two 150 PCX scooters in stock when I picked it up last September.

When we walked in today...

Two more Forzas, and a whole line of Kymcos; Super8s and smaller; Honda Rucks and scooters from Metro on up, lining both sides of the entry into the shop!!! Beyond that, the Squid bikes. A quick talk to a new sales guy revealed that he had three scoots in his garage, aside from his other bikes.

Maybe there's hope for Michigan after all....

Keep the rides coming!!!

MichRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #97
Burgi
laying low

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by samthg View Post
A shout out to Alison, who lurks here, and showed up for our Turnbull ride. Nice HD Alison, they are wonderful bikes.
Yours is nice, mine, not so much. They are great scoots though, must be to with stand the flogging mine has had.
It was great seeing HDs on the road though, that is a first for me.
Really enjoyed the Scooter group and look forward to getting out with you all again.
BTW do you know the name of the other guy with an HD?
Burgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 07:48 PM   #98
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclhb View Post
Good post Sam! Another fun ride!
Yep Tom, another fun group ride!

Thanks again for the Like shop manual, if my wife ever gets any miles on it, I just may have to put that manual to use one day.

Old 06-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #99
tclhb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
I've got a valve cover gasket for you too Sam. I just found that the other day. You probably won't need it for a long time though. I had my valve cover off two times, and the o ring style original gasket was still in great shape.
Maintenance on the Kymco Like 200i is super easy. There's a great YouTube video on the valve clearance check. Watching the video while doing it, it takes about an hour.
tclhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #100
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
Yours is nice, mine, not so much. They are great scoots though, must be to with stand the flogging mine has had.
It was great seeing HDs on the road though, that is a first for me.
Really enjoyed the Scooter group and look forward to getting out with you all again.
BTW do you know the name of the other guy with an HD?
Really glad you made it out Burgi(I'll have to hear what that means).

BTW, Samthg...back in the day, I had two VW Things, thus, my screen name(in case anyone gives a hoot).

My HD is now at 14,500mi, of which I'v put on just over 3k. The two p.o. took darn good care of this scoot. I just lucked out finding it, kinda was looking for a scooter, kinda heard about the HD, and then one Sat. morning it popped up on CL, and an hour later I owned it. As far as I can tell to this point, great bones these HD's have!

I don't remember the other HD rider's name, hopefully he'll make it out to another ride. You know, for my first seven rides with the LB group, i've been the only SYM, got kinda lonely, especially when all that Vespa talk was flying, now I've got some kinship.

Thanks for chiming in Burgi, see ya out there soon!

Old 06-04-2014, 06:32 AM   #101
sealsam OP
Sam...I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichRocks View Post
You guys are lucky. Nice to know some people share the fun that can be had on these. I was hoping to find some like minds when I took off on a recent trip;

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2583

As far as I could tell, I was the only scooter rider there- maybe between 10,000 and 15,000 bikes.

BUT...!!! Seeing all the fun I am having has had an impact on my wife. Today she asked me if I would like to take her to see if she would fit a Burgy 200. When I bought my bike, the shop that sold me the Forza only had two 150 PCX scooters in stock when I picked it up last September.
MichRocks,

It's nice to hear that your wife is getting involved also, that is what has happened in my house too. After many years of riding pillion, once Mrs. Samthg saw all the fun I was having on the scooter, she came to the conclusion that she needs to get it on the act. Of course since her purchase of a new Kymco Like, she has been busier than ever at work and has very little time to ride.

The bar has definitely been raised on the scooters by all the manufactures when it comes to fit & finish, and comfort. I want a larger touring scooter for longer day trips, of which I just started noising around in some of the local dealers. Your Forza is a beauty, and looks like a most capable machine that i'll be adding to the radar.

You know, we are seeing folks like yourself and Klaviator that are taking the scooters and mixing 'em up with the big bikes, and it is raising eyebrows of the large bike owners. As more and more people see the performance of these machines, it is changing some minds about scooters.

Nice couple of links you've got there! As a golfer, i've always heard about golfing the UP of MI.. I hope to make it out there someday. My dual sport buddy, Simbaboy(who lurks here in BS)is in Lansing, and keeps mentioning that I need to experience some MI, you have added fuel to the fire.

Great link to the redrockcomputer, keep those beautiful pics coming.

Thanks for weighing in MichRocks, ride safe out there and good luck on that wife bike purchase.

Sam

Old 06-04-2014, 10:19 AM   #102
Burgi
laying low

Oddometer: 18
Quote:

Maybe there's hope for Michigan after all....

Keep the rides coming!!!
When I go back to MI my friend let's me use her scoot, so I can attest to at least one more back there.

Quote:
Really glad you made it out Burgi(I'll have to hear what that means).
I used to have a Burgman. Not creative enough to come up with anything else.
I really didn't know anything about SYM when I got my scooter. I was looking for a cheap scoot to work on and this presented itself.

Mirrors, levers, bar ends, grips, Givi top case plate, and plastics were trashed. Removed the mirrors and taped up the signals (didn't work anyway) and rode it cross town to get home. The front "handle cover" was smashed in three pieces. Amazingly enough with some glue I was able to put it back together and ride it that way for over a year while searching for a replacement piece. Certainly didn't want to pay SYM prices for new!
Glad to see you guys putting more miles on yours, gives me hope mine will last awhile.

I'm very curious how to Like compares to the HD. Have you written anything up on that?

Do you still have your RT? I have one of those also, at least for the time being. The fickleness of two wheels!
Old 06-04-2014, 05:14 PM   #103
MichRocks
Sunset Rider

Oddometer: 157
Quote:

You know, we are seeing folks like yourself and Klaviator that are taking the scooters and mixing 'em up with the big bikes, and it is raising eyebrows of the large bike owners. As more and more people see the performance of these machines, it is changing some minds about scooters.

Nice couple of links you've got there! As a golfer, i've always heard about golfing the UP of MI.. I hope to make it out there someday. My dual sport buddy, Simbaboy(who lurks here in BS)is in Lansing, and keeps mentioning that I need to experience some MI, you have added fuel to the fire.

Thanks for weighing in MichRocks, ride safe out there and good luck on that wife bike purchase.

Sam
Thanks, Sam!

I couldn't help but feel deeply nostalgic for the scenes that you guys had in this thread. I was born and raised in CA, met my wife in Irvine, went to college in San Bernardino, San Diego, and Los Angeles. Worked my way through college and always had only two things- a job, and a bike. Rode every route I could get my dusty wheels into from Victorville to Vegas without hitting pavement; Griffith park to the Rock Store; Big Bear through Oak Glen, Amboy to Needles, Borrego Springs to Furnace Creek, Death Valley and Sierra rides...oh, man, it makes me homesick. Life takes some interesting turns, but finding threads like this from people that still know how to twist the throttle of adventure keeps me going strong. Thanks for all of you- Klaviator, Cap'n Jim, CD Wise, JerryH, DougFKen, gumshoe4, Maddiedog, longhaul747, brianwheelies, Yamageek, Shepski, Fizzy, and too too many here to mention for all your fantastic, and worthy inputs. It really helps a lot of us keep going more than any of you know. If any of you ever find yourself stranded in MI, PM me, and I'll do my best to show you around!

Regards,

Greg

MichRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:30 PM   #104
simbaboy
Lansing MBS

Oddometer: 639
Quote:
MichRocks,

It's nice to hear that your wife is getting involved also, that is what has happened in my house too. After many years of riding pillion, once Mrs. Samthg saw all the fun I was having on the scooter, she came to the conclusion that she needs to get it on the act. Of course since her purchase of a new Kymco Like, she has been busier than ever at work and has very little time to ride.

The bar has definitely been raised on the scooters by all the manufactures when it comes to fit & finish, and comfort. I want a larger touring scooter for longer day trips, of which I just started noising around in some of the local dealers. Your Forza is a beauty, and looks like a most capable machine that i'll be adding to the radar.

Sam
Quote:
Thanks, Sam!

I couldn't help but feel deeply nostalgic for the scenes that you guys had in this thread. I was born and raised in CA, met my wife in Irvine, went to college in San Bernardino, San Diego, and Los Angeles. Worked my way through college and always had only two things- a job, and a bike. Rode every route I could get my dusty wheels into from Victorville to Vegas without hitting pavement; Griffith park to the Rock Store; Big Bear through Oak Glen, Amboy to Needles, Borrego Springs to Furnace Creek, Death Valley and Sierra rides...oh, man, it makes me homesick. Life takes some interesting turns, but finding threads like this from people that still know how to twist the throttle of adventure keeps me going strong. Thanks for all of you- Klaviator, Cap'n Jim, CD Wise, JerryH, DougFKen, gumshoe4, Maddiedog, longhaul747, brianwheelies, Yamageek, Shepski, Fizzy, and too too many here to mention for all your fantastic, and worthy inputs. It really helps a lot of us keep going more than any of you know. If any of you ever find yourself stranded in MI, PM me, and I'll do my best to show you around!

Regards,

Greg
Hello Sam,
Apparently the entire State of MI has some great golfing but this 'sport' has not been for me. Everywhere you look there are some excellent public and private courses. Come on over any time. A couple of buds do play and I will make sure you have the best of time!

Looking forward to our planned St. George get together around June 22-June 25th. I and the girls are headed out to Circle Tour Lake Superior next week, then a week at work, then off to Utah. I will send RRR and StG a PM in the next few days.

Greg, anytime you are around Mid-Michigan area and want a riding buddy let me know.

Imu
p.s Sam--excellent pictures. I think RRR and StG are rubbing off on you.
simbaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:57 PM   #105
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,254
Quote:
Originally Posted by simbaboy View Post
Hello Sam,
Apparently the entire State of MI has some great golfing but this 'sport' has not been for me. Everywhere you look there are some excellent public and private courses. Come on over any time. A couple of buds do play and I will make sure you have the best of time!

Looking forward to our planned St. George get together around June 22-June 25th. I and the girls are headed out to Circle Tour Lake Superior next week, then a week at work, then off to Utah. I will send RRR and StG a PM in the next few days.

Greg, anytime you are around Mid-Michigan area and want a riding buddy let me know.

Imu
p.s Sam--excellent pictures. I think RRR and StG are rubbing off on you.
If any of you are headed through Las Vegas, let me know. If you guys are going from Vegas to St. George, taking 93 from the I-15 frontage road is quiet and scenic. Much better than taking the 15 up to St. George. If my schedule is open I will ride with the group.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote