Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #31
DaBinChe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,020
okay just measured the front tires mounted on the rim with 25psi Kenda K412 90/90-12, diameter is 18 9/16", width is 3 5/8"

Once I put on a new rear I'll measure that too, it'll be in another week I think. Then once those two wear I'll put on the new ones that I ordered above and compare'em.

Also did an oil change, used Delo 400 synthetic 5w-40. I use diesel motor oil in my motorcycles so this is what I had laying around ran out of 10w-30
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #32
DaBinChe OP
Beastly Adventurer

alright so with the new 90/90-12 kenda K412 tires and a balding 100/90-10 kenda K413 my top speed on the flats is 49mph and downhill is 50mph. Big difference in speed from a new vs. bald front tire.

I decided to put on the 110/80-10 next because I will have a reference with the stock size front tire so my speed reading will be consistent.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:51 AM   #33
DaBinChe OP
Beastly Adventurer

So put in the Kenda K413 rear size 110/80-10. At 30psi it is 17" diameter and 4 9/32" wide. Top speed is 51mph down and 50mph flat. I think it is just a tad smaller diameter then stock size of 100/90-10 but won't know for sure until this one wears out and I put in a stock size and measure that. My front is stock size and only has 500miles on it so the mph reading should be accurately consistent. It could be that the drive is dirty now, it has been over 3.5k miles since I cleaned it out. The width is about a quarter inch larger and there is plenty of side clearance for the swing arm. The ride feels smoother but it could be the result of a new tire vs. a different size. This wider tire has the same speed J speed rating but has a higher load rating by I think 2, 58 instead of 56. It also feels more stable and corners better. Cornering is more stable and I'm better able to hold my lines. This could all be because of the tire being new instead of worn. The crown profile on the tires is flatter, I'm just about at the edge vs. the stock size I still had some chicken strips and wasn't able to get to the edge until the tire was mostly worn.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #34
DaBinChe OP
Beastly Adventurer

At 19k miles, changed oil, checked/cleaned drive. Rollers are still in great shape, still above 17.9mm, which falls under new spec. I can't believe how long these rollers are lasting!! Hardly any belt dust in the last 4k miles, now I'm willing to go 5k before checking/cleaning the drive. Belt was also above 17.9mm so still a ways to go before reaching the service limit..think it can do the full 15k before it needs to be replace. As always it runs strong.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #35
DaBinChe OP
Beastly Adventurer

@20k and bike is running strong. Just changed engine oil and fork oil
Old 12-16-2013, 11:53 AM   #36
DaBinChe OP
Beastly Adventurer

just changed the final drive oil and spark plug and am uploading the videos now, will be up soon. Click on my signature to get to my youtube channel. Just realized I forgot to check the valves..D'oh!

Okay valves looks good. Fork oil change was really noticeable. Feels smoother and tracks better, surprised at how much deteriorated the oil got in 20k miles. Think I'm gonna start changing fork oil every 10k miles. Next time I'll do a video on that.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #37
DaBinChe OP
Beastly Adventurer

looked at my spark plug cap and it got ovalized which made the fit loose, changed it and is now snug again
Old 12-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #38
DaBinChe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Got 23k miles and just did an oil change. Also changed both tires. This time around I went with a Dunlop TT93 100/90-12 front and a stock size rear. I wanted to use a stock size rear so I'll have an accurate and consistent reading of this front size relative to the speedometer compared to stock size front. Before changing the tires I topped out at 50mph with a stock size front now my top out speed is 47mph. So the larger diameter is off by 3mph on the slow side. Of course the speed could be off from worn tires by 1-2mph. Stock size rear diameter is 17" in diameter so Kenda is accurate in their size about both the 100/90-10 and the 110/80-10 being the same diameter. I forgot to measure the diameter of the Dunlops, I'll do it next time.

I much prefer the feel of the 110/80 over the 100/90 rear. The new front size feels different and I noticed it right away as I was taking off from just mounting it. It felt a little heavier and slower and more resistance to turn. At a stand still if feels as if it is really loose in turning the handlebar side to side as if the headset was loose. The new front threw me off in feel but I got used to it on my way back home. The front end drops in very fast after the initial heavy feel. Now it is just a matter of seeing how long this new front will last. I'm thinking not very long cause these are soft tires but he grip is great.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #39
JerseyBiker
Living the life!

Oddometer: 2,163
Didn't read as it's long and I don't have this scoot but IMO it was a good idea to do this.

Nice to have one place to look for scooter info and nice that it is ADV.

Good job!
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:08 PM   #40
Kamzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks for moving this thread here. I'm not a member at Urbanscootin, but have been following your posts there for a while.

Lots of good info in your posts, and the Youtube videos are awesome. I picked up an Elite with barely 200 miles on it back in August, and have been riding it all around town since. It's a great little scooter, and I think for around town riding, you can't beat it. I only wish is had some more aftermarket support...
Kamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #41
DaBinChe OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamzilla View Post
Thanks for moving this thread here. I'm not a member at Urbanscootin, but have been following your posts there for a while.

Lots of good info in your posts, and the Youtube videos are awesome. I picked up an Elite with barely 200 miles on it back in August, and have been riding it all around town since. It's a great little scooter, and I think for around town riding, you can't beat it. I only wish is had some more aftermarket support...
Honda came out with a new LEAD in Japan, it'll be a 125cc. Not sure if that is replacing the NHX110 since it has been around for 5+years
Old 12-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #42
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,734
If you dont have it I post a link about 5 months ago for the oem service manual. http://www.mediafire.com/download/vg...loads%2C+82+MB Almost bought one but didn't. Great scooter . The file may have to be rename to .pdf
Only real shitty reason I didn't buy it was crappy sales guy pissed me off. No we do not have a helmet you can use. and then just left me sitting on it outside. Never even go me the key to hear it run. Dumb-ass I the cash in my pocket.
Old 12-17-2013, 05:41 AM   #43
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,391
I just sold my one of these. It is called the Dio in the aussie market.

Sold it as going travelling because it was a real nice scoot. Fast enough for 80kmh roads and can fit a full face under the seat. Handled pretty well too. Much better than my tgb 150 in nearly every way.

Only negative is that it could have an inch more floor space. Thats the only thing i would change. Oh and a tripmeter would be nice jsut to calculate economy easier.
Vertical C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:05 PM   #44
ScooterDogMom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Thumb

Glad you posted all this over on here. I've read it on Urbanscootin but was frustrated that the forum there is closed now. So sad, that.

The Elite 110 was among my choices when I upgraded from a Met. I could not find one locally so I bought a Buddy.

Anyway, it is a great scooter-I had one when they first came out but regretfully sold it. Live and learn.

I believe if Honda had given us a 125cc version there'd still be Elites on the US market. It was perfect in every way except for two things: lack of an additional 7 mph and a kick starter.
2010 Honda Elite 110
ScooterDogMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:30 PM   #45
DaBinChe OP
Beastly Adventurer

The DIO110 in Japan is actually a lower model then the LEAD110. It does have larger wheels 14" I think.

Most FI bikes don't have kick starters. I think because the fuel pump needs more then just a second of power to work properly at startup.

Japan has a new LEAD125, not sure what other markets it will be in. But I think a 125 won't be as wanted as a 150 in the USA. PCX is a good example, in other countries with tiered licensing then the 125 makes sense cause that is the cut off limit before the next tier. In some countries 110cc is the cut off limit before the next tier.

How Honda is doing things now with world market bikes it seems like the end of market specific bikes will come to an end in the near future. To satisfy varying markets they will have slightly varying versions of the same bike, again the PCX125/150 is a perfect example of a world market bike in varying forms for various markets. The NC700 series is another example.