ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2014, 12:36 AM   #61
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mtns.
Oddometer: 796
At 24k miles and realized that I never changed the air filter at 22.5k, 7.5k intervals recommended by honda. So did that and changed the oil. Every thing still running strong, I also just last month put in heated grips from the NC700X/CB500F, almost a perfect fit. There is some drag cause the new grips throttle tube cable guide are slightly thicker, so now I kinda sorta have cruise control. I'll do a valve and drive check at 25k. Also those bikes have bar end weights so you can see the bare bar ends on the scoot.

Since I plan on running this scoot on the cannonball I'll do a thorough once over on every thing in May before I take off, estimate to be at 27k by then.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #62
Inoplanetyanin
One day closer!
 
Inoplanetyanin's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 92
Cool, DBC. You have serious miles on yours. I'm on a 5 day trip from LA to Grand Canyon. Currently in Needles. 9.6 K miles. Scoot has some shudder at take off. I think I need to clean the dust off of clutch bell. Rattle in front caliber, might take it in before warranty expires.

Inoplanetyanin screwed with this post 02-17-2014 at 11:48 PM
Inoplanetyanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #63
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mtns.
Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inoplanetyanin View Post
Cool, DEC. You have serious miles on yours. I'm on a 5 day trip from LA to Grand Canyon. Currently in Needles. 9.6 K miles. Scoot has some shudder at take off. I think I need to clean the dust off of clutch bell. Rattle in front caliber, might take it in before warranty expires.
The shudder at take off is probably a dirty variator, clean it up and it should go away. I never cleaned my clutch bell except for when I changed the belt, and only tap the bell on the ground facing down. If you don't have an impact wrench or a tool to hold the variator get the cheap impact wrench from harbor freight, the one that I have a video of on my youtube channel.

So I'm estimating 27k miles when I'll be starting the trip for cannonball...or when ever my current rear tire needs to be replace I'll stop riding it and start on prepping it for cannonball. It should have 35k miles once I get home from cannonball.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 09:03 PM   #64
Inoplanetyanin
One day closer!
 
Inoplanetyanin's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Oddometer: 92
That's a lot of miles and you'd have to have a lot of trust in the engine and in your ability to repair things if they break.

What are your plans for extra fuel? Are you planning to have a top box on the rear rack?

Are you going to be riding alone most of the time?

So what will your preparation consist of? I assume you will at least install new tires, belt, rollers, (take extra variator plate), spark plug, have an oil change...

Have you thought about ordering and carrying an extra fuel and water pump? Maybe even an oil pump and a set of gaskets? Hopefully the chain, valves, crankshaft bearings will last through the cannonball.

I noticed it had somewhat hard time starting up at 25 F in the morning at 6500 feet in Arizona. The battery seemed to turn the engine slower so I had to have the starter button pressed longer and it only started from the second try while giving it some gas. Maybe it's my gel battery that is the culprit.

I would also recommend changing the coolant and final drive oil before going. Hopefully wheel and final drive bearings have enough life left in them for your journey.
Inoplanetyanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:45 PM   #65
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mtns.
Oddometer: 796
that is funny that I have more or less that same tent....been using it for over 10 years...got it at wally world for $20.

I'm gonna change ALL the fluids including fork oil, make sure my valves are in spec before leaving and checking my drive. Will replace tires, belts, rollers, spark plug as they wear. Once I wear down my current rear tire I will start my prep and stop ridding it cause I want to start the trip with a fresh rear and a spare rear, so I'll know I have enough to get home with two new rear tires. I estimate round trip will be 8k miles which should be just about right with two new rear tires. As for the front I'll just bring a spare to change out the current front as it wears out. I'm confident that the non consumable parts will last at least 50k miles. So basically just brining consumable items only no other extra parts. Will carry a 2.5 gallon gas can on the floor board. Most every thing will fit in the trunk. Big bulky stuff will be strapped to the seat/rack.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #66
FizzyRascal
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Oddometer: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
that is funny that I have more or less that same tent....been using it for over 10 years...got it at wally world for $20.

I'm gonna change ALL the fluids including fork oil, make sure my valves are in spec before leaving and checking my drive. Will replace tires, belts, rollers, spark plug as they wear. Once I wear down my current rear tire I will start my prep and stop ridding it cause I want to start the trip with a fresh rear and a spare rear, so I'll know I have enough to get home with two new rear tires. I estimate round trip will be 8k miles which should be just about right with two new rear tires. As for the front I'll just bring a spare to change out the current front as it wears out. I'm confident that the non consumable parts will last at least 50k miles. So basically just brining consumable items only no other extra parts. Will carry a 2.5 gallon gas can on the floor board. Most every thing will fit in the trunk. Big bulky stuff will be strapped to the seat/rack.
Very cool.

Safe travels dude.
FizzyRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #67
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mtns.
Oddometer: 796
So in the last few hundred miles I noticed something a little off, felt like the gearing, kinda like it had actual gears and changing gears. Looked over the drive and the belt has just about reached it's service limit of 17.5mm. This belt got just over 14k miles, since I still have the original belt and it is only at 17.7mm and 10k miles I decided to put that back in. The rollers, one roller actually, started to flat spot finally after 24k+ miles, but still well within the service limit of 17.5mm. The variator now has a noticeable wear higher up in gearing/face. It is starting to groove where the belt spends most of it's time. Good thing is that only the variator itself is AL and the non moving face and the clutch pulley are steel so those are still smooth. I think this is the main thing I was feeling. The new old belt made it feel a little better/smoother. I'm just gonna keep using everything as is until I do SCB then I'll put in new belt, rollers, and probably variator.

Also yesterday for the first time ever the engine stalled out as I crested a hill. It sounded and felt like it was having a hard time idling, smelled a little gas/smoke too. Rode down the hill and everything was back to normal. I was thinking it could be spark or gas at the time. And now think it is gas, because before and after it happened everything was normal under uphill load. I figure it was me over filling the gas and tilting the scoot too much on the left side so the evap canister got flooded just before I took off. While riding the flooded evap wash''t enough to do anything but at idle it was just too rich. I'm actually thinking of getting rid of the evap system before SCB but don't like the thought of adding more pollution. The evap has never been a concern before, everything was smooth. I'll have to see from now till then and watch it on overfilling.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 08:00 PM   #68
zuphilius
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Oddometer: 11
I've just turned over 4K miles and I have noticed a rattling sound coming from the engine. At idle you can hear it in the muffler. It still gets up and goes all the way to 50, but this sound is worrying me a bit. Valves are in spec, just checked them at 3500 miles. Sounds sorta like marbles. I try and only take it up the road to get groceries right now, but hot weather is coming to these parts very soon. Any ideas?
zuphilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #69
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mtns.
Oddometer: 796
sounds like the drive to me, check your drive, clean the variator
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:40 AM   #70
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mtns.
Oddometer: 796
Just remember last night that my elite has an 8 year old oem honda/yuasa AGM battery. Orginally it was on my 2006 599 that I got brand new that summer and put 50k miles on and sold in spring of 2012. The person that brought that bike while looking it over had left the ignition/headlight on and drained the battery so I gave her the battery off the elite110 (both used the same battery). I had thought I got a new one but realized that it is still oem honda cause all the oem honda/yuasa says Honda with red font on them. Since the battery/bike/scoot got used regularly it never had any life shorting sitting around condition put on it. Voltage checked was 12.9 which surprised me I was expecting 12.5v or lower cause of the age, goes to show that a regularly used AGM battery can last a long time. In total this battery has about 75k miles on it. I also checked the voltage on my SH150 and it was 12.8v, from a battery that is half the age with only 3k miles so it didn't get ridden/used very much. I was thinking that I was gonna swap the batteries between the two scoots to have a newer one for the cannonball but looks like I'm keeping this one in there...I'll check voltage again when time gets nearer. I also have had electric heated liner jacket and gloves that was used on both the 599 and elite.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:40 PM   #71
zuphilius
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Oddometer: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
sounds like the drive to me, check your drive, clean the variator
Thanks, I'll check that out this weekend.
zuphilius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #72
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mtns.
Oddometer: 796
Last time I had the variator off I notice a little seepage (few drops worth) from the crank seal. Just looked in it again and there is more of a leak, had a oil puddle in the drive case about the diameter of a quarter. I believe this is cause my me overfilling the oil. I've done it before in the past where it is just above the high mark but this last time it was higher up almost as much as the hash marks is long. I should of took some out but was in a rush and was lazy. So anyways much more seepage. Took off the crank seal bracket/plate and saw that it is coming out the bottom portion of the outer seal. I also notice that the seal at the bottom is slightly out higher then flush with the case. The service manual says that it is suppose to be 0.5mm in dept. So my conclusion is that the overfill of oil created enough pressure on the seal that it sorta pushed it out about 1-1.5mm causing the seepage/leak. It has been just over 500 miles since that oil change. I'm gonna push it back in and see how it is by the next oil change.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:22 AM   #73
avir
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 20
I have a new lead (elite) with 57,500 kilometers on it.

I am the second owner and have had it for a year without any issues until now.

lately I get the feeling that when i start going up a hill the scooter has trouble climing. In other words i give it full throttle and it does not respond like it use to.

I had it serviced not long ago and i replaced the belt, rollers and also the gear oil (which came out greenish/greyish?).

Its a great little scooter and I had one before this one and was very happy with it also.

would very much appr' any tips/feedback.

thanks
avir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:26 AM   #74
avir
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by zuphilius View Post
I've just turned over 4K miles and I have noticed a rattling sound coming from the engine. At idle you can hear it in the muffler. It still gets up and goes all the way to 50, but this sound is worrying me a bit. Valves are in spec, just checked them at 3500 miles. Sounds sorta like marbles. I try and only take it up the road to get groceries right now, but hot weather is coming to these parts very soon. Any ideas?
check and make sure that the exhuast pipe is properly bolted down.

there are two bolts along the side of the scooter.

on mine the first bolt somehow disapeared and every time i went over a bump it ratteld.

went away after i put a new bolt in.
avir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 08:27 AM   #75
DaBinChe OP
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mtns.
Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by avir View Post
I have a new lead (elite) with 57,500 kilometers on it.

I am the second owner and have had it for a year without any issues until now.

lately I get the feeling that when i start going up a hill the scooter has trouble climing. In other words i give it full throttle and it does not respond like it use to.

I had it serviced not long ago and i replaced the belt, rollers and also the gear oil (which came out greenish/greyish?).

Its a great little scooter and I had one before this one and was very happy with it also.

would very much appr' any tips/feedback.

thanks
Have you ever replace the variator? They get grooved from wear of the belt and the belt tends to stay in that groove, it is hard for the belt to go past the groove. This is what is happening to mine now and I only have 24.5K miles, while you have 35K+ miles. The belt will groove the spot where it spends the most time in, in my case it is almost at the highest gearing. Also you using the OEM rollers or an aftermarket (w/different weights)? Heavier weights will make it harder too go uphill. In the US the stock rollers weight is 13grams. How about spark plug and the spark plug cap? Oil level? And lastly valves?
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014