Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
scooter vs small dp....

HI,

after 2 years on my 100 cc Honda Beat a friend has finally said he wants to buy it and has offer me cash for it, so I want to sell it, now the question is how to replace it.

In 2014 I will get a divorce and then and only then will know just how much money I will have, so I am looking at something for around $2 K give or take.

I was thinking about a new scooter, and I found the next step up the latter on the cc area, a Honda Cruising with a very powerful 125 cc 8.7 hp motor. It is very nice, top speed is as good as I want it (over 50+ mph) and can hold a full face helmet in the under storage, plus a lot of legroom, with tubeless tires

Then on the other side is the small XTZ 125 cc, with a bigger tank, better suspension and an actual transition so changing gears is up to you.

the Yamaha es a bit expensier but it is a very different animal.

I really like the cvt and comfort of the scooter, and with the promise of better top speed and better brakes and lights, It could be a very good upgrade even if I do not do interstate or 80 mph, anyway we do not have interstate in my country, and still manage to get 75-80 mph.

The XTZ will give me 2 things over the scooter, top speed over 60 mph and 21-18 tires and all the stuff and places that you could do and go to. I would need to shift but I have no trouble with it.

over all i think both are good for me, bot get about the same mpg, some will do the most important thing a bike should do, BRING SMILES TO MY FACE!! so I need some advice here, what to get?

Soon I will have a test drive on the scooter, and hope to get one on the Yamaha.

Thanks

Damasovi
Old 12-18-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 923
Unless the majority of your riding is urban stop & go, I personally think a Sherpa, DR200, XT225/250, or properly modded TW200 is a better value than a scooter. You might be able to find one within your budget. That said, a 125 ANYTHING is smaller than I would want to do for a motorcycle.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

thanks amigo,

I forgot to mention that I have and will continue to have a KLR 650 for everything else this small scooter or dp, so that includes hwy, 2 up, touring and dirt.

Also, the bikes you mention are not abailable in my country, I could buy them in the USA and import them, but that alone would cost 800-1200 USD so taking the fun of the buying process.

Thanks

Damasovi
Old 12-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
thanks amigo,

I forgot to mention that I have and will continue to have a KLR 650...
Well, that makes it easy to go small for the 2nd bike. I didn't know that the bikes I mentioned are not available to you. Sorry!
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #5
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,719
If you have the klr, then you should get the scooter.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:59 PM   #6
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
If you have the klr, then you should get the scooter.
tomorrow a friend and me are going over to the HOnda dealer, it looks like they are doing $0 down 0% financing for 12 months, that is crazy for this country! When I bought the wife's car it was with a low 17% premium, so 0% is crazy!

I hope they offer that on many models, not just a couple

Damasovi
Old 12-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #7
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 792
It's settled, Super Cub it is!
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,512
That would be a difficult decision. I have a couple of 125cc scooters, and a 225cc dual sport. They are completely different in every way, beyond both having 2 round wheels. The scooters are WAAAY more comfortable, and you don't have to shift. The dual sport I use mainly off road. If I didn't ride off road and on dirt roads so much (I am surrounded with such places to ride) I wouldn't own it. Both scooters and pure street bikes are much better for street and road riding. And in my case, by street bike I mean cruiser. I wouldn't mind having a Supermoto, which is basically a dual sport with street wheels and tires. I could do some sporty road riding without all the pain the sport bike riding position causes me. As bad as the seat is on the XT225, the bike is as a whole much more comfortable than the EX500 Ninja I wound up selling. It was so bad (for me) that I wound up having to spend the night in Yuma (about 200 miles from where I live) because after managing to ride it there, I hurt so bad I could not ride it back the same day. I have done that trip several times in one day on the XT.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:03 AM   #9
John Bentall
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Hi Damasovi,

I can only afford two 2-wheelers, so I have one machine to do the things the other cannot do.

When I contemplate a trip, there is never any doubt in my mind which vehicle will be used.

HTH,

John
John Bentall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #10
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
That would be a difficult decision. I have a couple of 125cc scooters, and a 225cc dual sport. They are completely different in every way, beyond both having 2 round wheels. The scooters are WAAAY more comfortable, and you don't have to shift. The dual sport I use mainly off road. If I didn't ride off road and on dirt roads so much (I am surrounded with such places to ride) I wouldn't own it. Both scooters and pure street bikes are much better for street and road riding. And in my case, by street bike I mean cruiser. I wouldn't mind having a Supermoto, which is basically a dual sport with street wheels and tires. I could do some sporty road riding without all the pain the sport bike riding position causes me. As bad as the seat is on the XT225, the bike is as a whole much more comfortable than the EX500 Ninja I wound up selling. It was so bad (for me) that I wound up having to spend the night in Yuma (about 200 miles from where I live) because after managing to ride it there, I hurt so bad I could not ride it back the same day. I have done that trip several times in one day on the XT.
Do you realize how most of this does not apply to the op?

Damasovi, why not grab a Honda Cub? The scooter you have a picture of does not seem to be a large step up from your current ride. Why change at all if it is not much of a change?
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:38 AM   #11
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,560
If all my riding was in the city I'd go the scooter route, but if some of my riding was going to be out in the country on dirt or gravel roads I'd go for the motorcycle.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #12
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Do you realize how most of this does not apply to the op?

Damasovi, why not grab a Honda Cub? The scooter you have a picture of does not seem to be a large step up from your current ride. Why change at all if it is not much of a change?
A Honda Cub is still basically a scooter, but with a manual transmission. He has a KLR. I've had 2 KLRs. They just didn't work out for me. Too big and heavy for off road, and not comfortable enough for long road trips. Too tall to be good in town, from stoplight to stoplight. But he obviously likes it. What works for one does not necessarily work for another. I split it up three ways. Scooter for in town, smaller dual sport for off road, and a 750 cruiser for road trips. Of course there is some crossover. I have ridden scooters on the highway, the cruiser around town, and the dual sport everywhere.

But, a motorcycle/scooter is not always a rational purchase, in fact most seem to be bought because they were what the buyer wanted, not necessarily because they were the best for what they were going to be used for. ALL my bikes are toys, I use a car for actual transportation. So my perspective is going to be different. If it were me, selling a scooter, and already having a dual sport, I'd be looking for a cruiser. Or a retro standard, like the TU250. I don't know what is available in Mexico, and I don't know if you can buy something in the U.S. and register it in Mexico. I do know the DOT and EPA will not let you buy a vehicle in Mexico, and register it in the U.S. The U.S. has these crazy safety and emissions standards, which Mexico is fortunate not to have.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:02 AM   #13
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,479
I think I've been mulling over this same question for quite a few years now. And, I keep vacillating between scooter and small dual sport. This past year, I sold my DR650 and only rode my Honda Reflex. I enjoy riding gravel/dirt roads and while the scooter was capable of doing this, it wasn't the most enjoyable ride. So, while I really like the Reflex, a couple weeks ago I found myself buying a 2002 XR250R that IL Street legal. The scooter is going to go.

So, I guess it depends on what you expect the 125cc machine to do. If it's pavement only and used to commute, I'd go with the scoot because the KLR is an option. However, if it's important to be able to ride places where the bigger wheels will be an advantage, then I'd go dual sport.

If it were me (which it isn't), I'd buy the XTZ.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #14
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
Since you already have the KLR, I'd go with a scooter. There is something uniquely fun about a small scooter.

I have both a small scooter and small DP. I put nearly 5,000 miles on my Super 8 this year and maybe 600 on my XT350. Perhaps if I lived where you do I'd have ridden the XT more but you do have the KLR for going off road.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
The Honda Cub is also their in the mix of bikes, I just did not wanted to make the question that much longer. The Cruising looks a lot like the scooter I have but there are several upgrades, 25 cc more, 1 hp, yes these are not wow differences how ever they make a big differences on the open road and in up hills. Other details that make it much better are the H4 headlight (I could install a brighter 55 w), it has a glove box (with a key) more under seat storage, 12 in. tires tubeless and I think a better seat.

ALso in the to be test it list, are the breaks. The beat has very crappy breaks so an upgrade just there makes it a good purchase.

Next Sunday I will take a long test ride on my friends scooter.

Damasovi