Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #16
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,793
That Honda scooter looks nice, and is almost certainly a lot more comfortable than a 125cc dual sport. Top speed should be about the same. The dual sport has the better transmission, but you have to shift it. My main complaint with my 125 scooters is that I live very close to some very nice mountains, over 8,000 feet, where the temperatures are in the low '80s when it's 120 where I live, and my scooters will not get me there. My 225cc motorcycle has no problem doing it, and neither did a 125cc cruiser type motorcycle I used to have. Even my Genuine Stella climbs those mountains like a goat, if you downshift it.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 02:40 AM   #17
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,540
Old stock honda pcx 125 . 60 mph , 100 mpg. 2000 to 2500 For a new old stock one .
Old 12-20-2013, 03:26 AM   #18
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
Next Sunday I will take a long test ride on my friends scooter.

Damasovi
You will probably be underwhelmed by the scooter. You need to realize it's not a performance machine in any way, shape, or form. It's a cheap, light, easy way to get you from point A to point B.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:02 AM   #19
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
For errands and knocking about on i would choose the scooter, easy maintenance no chain to clean easy to keep body clean and good storage

For coolness and recreational fun the bike
Old 12-20-2013, 06:28 AM   #20
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,610
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Old stock honda pcx 125 . 60 mph , 100 mpg. 2000 to 2500 For a new old stock one .
i wish! not available in Mexico, very sad!

Damasovi
Old 12-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #21
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
You will probably be underwhelmed by the scooter. You need to realize it's not a performance machine in any way, shape, or form. It's a cheap, light, easy way to get you from point A to point B.
well it all depends on what you call performance, and if you consider the size of the bike, and I all ready know how it performs (a couple of my friends have them) the only question is how I feel on it.

Will let you know

Damasovi
Old 12-20-2013, 12:46 PM   #22
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Small displacement motorcycles can be a lot of fun to ride. It's a blast to run them up through the gears, shifting at near redline. I remember riding my Ninja 250 that way. The sensation of speed was more fun than actual speed. Only real problem with them is whether or not they are capable of maintaining a sufficient top speed. And in the U.S., whether they are freeway legal or not.
1980 Puch moped
Old 12-20-2013, 09:29 PM   #23
fullmetalscooter
Let me take this duck off

Oddometer: 2,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
i wish! not available in Mexico, very sad!

Damasovi
Mexico then I would find a use honda cargo 125 or new 150 motorcycle . A cargo 150 is 22 000 Mexico or about 2 grand new . Your chooses are almost all the same down there. 8 to 9 Hp be it 110 or 125 and the price is the same. With the cargo 150 you getting 80 mpg and 60 mph I think. If you really want a scooter in then get the supper Cub that is down there 110 cc . Correct me if I wrong for the first time but you have to watch out buying used. There some reg fee that has to be paid each year . if it's not paid and you you buy a used bike down there you can get ding for the whole amount owing. Kind of like some of the usa .
http://www.honda.mx/motos/supercub110/
http://www.honda.mx/motos/cargo150/
Old 12-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #24
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalscooter View Post
Correct me if I wrong for the first time but you have to watch out buying used. There some reg fee that has to be paid each year . if it's not paid and you you buy a used bike down there you can get ding for the whole amount owing. Kind of like some of the usa .
http://www.honda.mx/motos/supercub110/
http://www.honda.mx/motos/cargo150/
Amigo I can not correct you, not because you are correct, simply I could not make sense of what you said. I blame it on my poor English skills. But for a bout $2,000 USD (or $26,000 pesos) I can have several options, many good ones.

Locally we have 2 of the Japaneses dealers, a Honda and a Yamaha. Test drives are the super exception and not the norm. I got a chance to drive the super cub, the FI 110 super cub, and like it a lot. It is just a little small, there is no place to move around like on the Beat. Next up I will try the Cruising, I will my friend to lend it to me for a half a day and see what gives, and then the immortal cargo... I need no t test drive on that, I know then car reach 0-to your door under 30 minute or it is free! (domino's and a bunch of others use it for delivering food, merchandise and medicine)

I will continue to shop!

Damasovi
Old 12-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #25
hugemoth
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,677
I'm a big fan of the engine design used on the Cargo 125/150. The upsized copy of that engine on my Lifan 200 (Chinese) has had zero problems in 45,000 miles. If the Chinese copy is that good, the real Honda version must be even better.
hugemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:44 PM   #26
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
I'm a big fan of the engine design used on the Cargo 125/150. The upsized copy of that engine on my Lifan 200 (Chinese) has had zero problems in 45,000 miles. If the Chinese copy is that good, the real Honda version must be even better.
If it's the pushrod engine that was in my Lifan 200, you can't go wrong. No cam chain to break. It should last forever. I also like the idea that that Cargo has a rack instead of a passenger seat. It's really too small for a passenger, and it's nice to have a way to carry stuff.
1980 Puch moped
Old 12-22-2013, 07:20 PM   #27
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
I have what may be the best of both worlds (for a guy with not much money):

1. A 2012 SYM HD200 EVO scooter that is actually capable of freeway speeds, but we don't have them around here, so it's a great around-town vehicle. Bought it used for $2100.

2. A 2012 Suzuki DR650 for off-road and longer, faster, highway trips. Bought it new, but I had a trade-in.

So, when I walk out to the car port in the morning I have a choice.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #28
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
I have what may be the best of both worlds (for a guy with not much money):

1. A 2012 SYM HD200 EVO scooter that is actually capable of freeway speeds, but we don't have them around here, so it's a great around-town vehicle. Bought it used for $2100.

2. A 2012 Suzuki DR650 for off-road and longer, faster, highway trips. Bought it new, but I had a trade-in.

So, when I walk out to the car port in the morning I have a choice.
Yes. The SYM.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #29
damasovi OP
Beastly Adventurer

blugg1

I like what blugg1 is saying, but SYM is NA in Mexico and if I import a bike/scooter it will put me over the budget.

I need January to come so I can finish my legal affairs (divorce) and have my finances all in place, and then I will be able to make a call.

Thanks people!

Damasovi
Old 12-24-2013, 08:01 PM   #30
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,114
One thing that you perhaps have not considered is that smaller scooter tires wear out faster than larger diameter tires.
A scooter with 14-15" tires will need tires half as often as one with 12" tires.
And replacing the tires on motorcycles is often easier because there's no varinator (CVT) on the rear wheel of a motorcycle.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote