NEWSLETTER SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE
Wednesday 1st of January
STAGE 2: BOUDNIB / FOUM ZGUID: 611km
LIAISON: BOUDNIB / MERZOUGA: 173km
STAGE: MERZOUGA / FOUMZGUID: 431km
TRANSFER: FOUM ZGUID / BIVOUAC: 7km

SERIOUS RACING HAS STARTED

ON THE SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE

As planned, the second stage between Boudnib and Foum Zguid, 612km of which 431km of selective sectors, has already affected the SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE caravan. Indeed, at 20:30 ( 21:30 Paris ), one third of the auto and bike participants were still missing. A normal situation if we consider the difficulties on the field and with navigation. Actually, most of the latecomers had mechanical problems. Therefore, all of them are in constant communication with the PC, thanks to the organizations modern communication technology.
Most of the participants will arrive at the bivouac before the Check Point close, at midnight. For the rest of them they will have the night to be back, repair if needed, rest a bit and leave the next morning. If its not the case, they will receive the biggest penalty but will still be able to start on the next day, because the SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE’s goal is to have many participants as possible at the Lac Rose in Dakar.

Jean Louis SCHLESSER takes the Auto class command
3rd on yesterday’s stage, we didn’t have to wait too long for SCHLESSER to put the ranks back in order in Auto. He was obviously smiley while wishing Happy New year greetings to the journalists which were waiting at the end of the stage : “ I would be called a liar if I would say I’m not happy about today, everything went well as we won the stage. But this second stage was quite difficult and we had to keep really focused all way long. I can’t deny the level has gone up, so I will try to prevent errors.”
Old 01-02-2014, 03:43 AM   #32
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
AER Update!

The five time winner of the SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE won the stage by about 16 minutes in front of Balazs SZALAY, 2nd at the wheel of his OPEL Prototype.

Very nice performance from Jackie LOOMANS, 3rd of the stage today. In the end, the Belgian driver is third in the general rankings, just in front of Philippe PORCHERON fourth of the day at the wheel of his Peugeot BUGGY.

Tomas TOMECEK stays on top
He left Boudnib as leader of the truck category, Tomas TOMECEK dominated his opponents once again. At the wheel of his TATRA, actually pretty agile in the dunes, the Czech crossed the dunes in Merzouga quite easily and went fast during all the stage, to end 5,50 minutes in front of Elsabete JACINTOs MAN, while the SCANIA of Milkos KOVACS ended 3rd about 20 minutes later. On the general rankings Auto/Truck TOMECEK is 9th, 14,54 min away from SCHLESSER.

Harite GABARI confirms on his bike
Some say the Moroccan biker Harite GABARI is a pretender to the victory in the bike category for the SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE. We had to see him in action to confirm. This second stage was quite difficult so the test was ideal and all we can say is that the YAMAHA biker confirmed. He didn’t only win the stage 2,38 min in front of Michael PISANOs HONDA, he even also helped him out : “I stopped when I saw Micka trying to repair his fuel tank. I helped him out for about ten minutes than his machine restarted and continued my stage to the end. I happy to see how my year has started.''

PISANO confirmed he received help from two participant:
“ Today I got help from two participants, first one was Harite, which helped me out with my fuel tank. And then Jean Louis SCHLESSER helped me out to find my way back, when I saw him I was just about to do an error. I want to thank both of them.”

Nice performance from Martin FONTYN, 3rd today and winner on last years edition and Dominique ROBIN 4th of the day just a minute behind the Belgian biker. On the other hand, it was a bad day for Nobert DUBOIS which lost 9 minutes by getting lost. The Frenchman is now 7th, but as he says: “ the race is still long”.

Thursday January 2nd, The SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE will continue his progression towards southern Morocco as the bivouac will be in ASSA, after a stage of 404km of which 387 of selective Sector.

There is the FTP code of the SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE FTP serveur including daily pictures free of right.
hote : ftp.africarace-live.com
login : africaecorace14
password : dakarforever

CONTACTS

Deserts Aventures
(Mandataire d'O.C.T)
Veronique is at your disposal for any informations:

Email: veronique.caire@africarace.com
Office: +33 (0)4 93 75 24 55
GSM: +33 (0)6 70 22 68 44

Competitiors department: concurrents@africarace.com
Press department: presse@africarace.com
General informations: info@africarace.com
Travel department : voyage@africarace.com

All the information on: www.africarace.com

Crédits photos : Jorge CUNHA et Office du Tourisme Saint Cyprien
Old 01-02-2014, 04:32 AM   #33
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,356
Excellent updates Barrier - and I love that photo of the truck in the dune field at the top of this page (sorry I couldn't quote it, it was buried in a sea of HTML code!)...

Looking forward ro some more great photos and reports!

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:37 AM   #34
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
I'm back!
We drove down to the start in S.C on 28th and drove all the way back the following day in the evening (no fun, 14 hours with the trailer ).

Guillaume had a little mishap during the starting ceremony, crashed into a parked trailer, damaging some of his nav tower (oil cooler, headlights), and also hurt his fingers. He spent a lot of time during the trip to the port sourcing stuff to fix it all.
We talked to Dad yesterday, Guillaume indeed did break a chain. He told us only 14x bikes got into the camp at night, a lot still out there and waiting for the sweeper!

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:59 AM   #35
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,999
Excellent updates people.

I guess this is before anything happened

Feeling sorry for Guillaume, problems with his wrist solved and now this...
I hope everything works out fine, both for Julia and Guillaume...

Guillaume still seems stationary way out of the stage in the live tracking
Old 01-02-2014, 05:01 AM   #36
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,413
Yep, sucks big time. Judging from the Iritrack page, he's on the assistance route, either riding himself or hitching a ride on a truck

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:04 AM   #37
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
And no Fontyn @ cp1.... He had problems with his tracker yesterday, hopefully this is the case today...

M Motoadventures
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:23 AM   #38
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,438
Myway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:33 AM   #39
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

http://vulcain.iritrack.net/tdcom/ev...fricarace2014/
Old 01-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #40
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,999
Guillaume missed the 3rd stage...

Thomas finished the stage 15th, bringing him on the 14th place on the general standings.

Martin is not present in stage 3, . Julia is also not in stage 3...
Old 01-02-2014, 10:00 AM   #41
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
I reckon the nav from boudnib would have been pretty tough. V tricky once you get into the gullies and the "mogul" type section near the border.

Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:50 PM   #42
hatz
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi all,

Todays stage looked much easier than the one from yesterday, much more straight but also a lot of mountainpasses etc. They were through quite quickly and the field was not so much streched out as yesterday.

Guillaume seems to on the back of the Camion Balai, Martin Fontyn had issues with the Iritrack and seemed to be on track towards some islands in the Atlantic. Luckily he was full in the race and finishes on a nice fourth position.
hatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 05:07 PM   #43
Myway
Beastly Adventurer

Old 01-03-2014, 02:44 AM   #44
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 327
cant see julia schrenk on the iritrack?

Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:06 AM   #45
motorollie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
cant see julia schrenk on the iritrack?
She is not riding today... the bike was still on a truck heading for the bivouac. Probably tomorrow. Check their site, Twitter and Facebook for the latest news: http://www.elite-racing.at/