AER Update!

NEWSLETTER SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE
Thursday 2ND of January
STAGE 3: FOUM ZGUID / ASSA: 404 km
STAGE: FOUM ZGUID / ASSA: 387 km
LIAISON: ASSA / BIVOUAC: 17km

A REAL MORROCAN STAGE

Second stage win for Jean Antoine SABATIER in Auto class
René METGE announced it, the stage from Foum Zguid to Assa, 387km long, was a real pleasure in terms of driving for the auto class. The smile on each of the drivers face at the end of the stage proved it. The happiest was for sure the Frenchman, Jean Antoine SABATIER, which won his second stage on the 2014 SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE. He wins the stage at the wheel of his BUGGA ONE with 4,13 min in front of Jean Louis SCHLESSER which was quite surprised. He becomes the five times event winner’s first opponent after the triple puncture of Balazs SZALAY and the transmissions problems of Philippe PORCHERON on this 4th stage.

Without forgetting Jacques LOOMANS, 4th of the day and 3rd overall, 8,10 mins away from the leader.

Today’s performance is for Kanat SHAGIROV from Kazakhstan, 3rd best time at the wheel of his H3 Hummer.

Few words on Michel TURON BARRERE with his CRD Buggy, which proves his regularity since the beginning of the rally. Even though he punctured both rear tires after a harsh jump, he finishes 5th of the day and is 5th in the overall rankings: “ I had great fun today with beautiful powerslides over 160 km/h ! I love it ! Thanks to Guillaume’s great navigation but also to a very well explained road book. I feel completely confident at the wheel of a fabulous car. 5th position is way over what I was expecting.”

In the OPEN category, Guillaume JORDA and Xavier LORMAND won today’s stage after a very difficult day yesterday, where they had to do over 300km without brakes. Stephane HENRARD is leading the category at the 8th place in the overall raking.

In the T2 category, which is close to standard, Marc AVAZIAN won todays stage even though Philippe THIOLAT is still leading the category at the wheel of his KJD TOYOTA.

Finally, in the T3 category ( SSV ), after yesterday’s mechanical problems, Philippe PINCHEDEZ stayed all day in ZAGORA to repair and will be at the start in ASSA tomorrow.
Old 01-03-2014, 02:50 AM   #47
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
AER Update!

Elisabete JACINTO shows her teeths in the Truck category
After the two first days dominated by Tomas TOMECEK and his TATRA truck, Elisabete JACINTO wins her first stage 16 minutes ahead of the Czech. That takes her only 5,59 minutes behind in the overall ranks and she is determined to continue her ascension. Behind, Hungarian Miklos KOVACS ends third and secures his podium position in the Truck category.

Unexpected THEURETZBACHER in bike category
At the start of stage 4, Robert THEURETZBACHER was unknown in professional off road motorcycling.
Tonight, his status has changed in the bike class of the SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE. Indeed, the 37 year old Austrian won todays tricky navigation stage on his 450 KTM. Actually, Harite GABARI got surprised and fell, injuring himself at the shoulder. Today’s stage was maybe his last one for the Morrocan.

Another fall today but without major consequences for Martin FONTYN. The Belgian fell quite hard but after a bit of rest and repair he managed to restart even though his bike was quite damaged. He finishes 4th behind Joris VAN DYCK and Dominique ROBIN.

Even if he finishes 5th of the day, the Corsican, Mickael PISANO takes the overall lead right in front of ROBIN 3,14 min behind and TEURETZBACHER 6,30 min behind. The battle on two wheels is harsh, the top 5 is in less than 10 minutes.

Tomorrow the 2014 SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE continues its progression towards the south, with stage 5 from ASSA to AS KAHN, 404km of which 389km of selective sectors.

CONTACTS

Deserts Aventures
(Mandataire d'O.C.T)
Veronique is at your disposal for any informations:

Email: veronique.caire@africarace.com
Office: +33 (0)4 93 75 24 55
GSM: +33 (0)6 70 22 68 44

Competitiors department: concurrents@africarace.com
Press department: presse@africarace.com
General informations: info@africarace.com
Travel department : voyage@africarace.com

All the information on: www.africarace.com

Crédits photos : Alain ROSSIGNOL & Jorge CUNHA
Old 01-03-2014, 03:47 AM   #48
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
Martin Fontyn hurts his ribs during yesterdays stage, still came in 4th and has started today. Unfortuantely he has had to stop during the special and is out...

Gewn and Joris still doing well, fast young lads who take it steady for now, expect them to finished top 5 in Dakar.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:12 AM   #49
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,814
Feeling sad for Martin ... he was going really well..

Guillaume and Julia are out of stage 4 (so it seems in the tracking).
Thomas (Schattat Sr.) is going well, with a very small deviation from the course early in stage 4, he is going well at the moment

Old 01-03-2014, 04:21 AM   #50
schattat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Feeling sad for Martin ... he was going really well..

Guillaume and Julia are out of stage 4 (so it seems in the tracking).
Thomas (Schattat Sr.) is going well, with a very small deviation from the course early in stage 4, he is going well at the moment
Guillaume's bike is in no good shape to be ridden atm, so it's still on the truck. The sweeper was so busy yesterday, it didn't arrive in time for Julia to start this morning, so another day of waiting for the two.

BTW, my old man wasn't off course, how could he with all those neat nav toys guiding him correctly He mentioned on the phone today that the new prototype model is more than spot on, which is a relief. More feedback to be expected from Dakar in SA over the next few days (and also the start of sleepless nights. I'm sure for you, too, D., with Suzuki running your RB!)

Yamaha WR450F Rallye Spec
schattat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:34 AM   #51
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by schattat View Post
Guillaume's bike is in no good shape to be ridden atm, so it's still on the truck. The sweeper was so busy yesterday, it didn't arrive in time for Julia to start this morning, so another day of waiting for the two.

BTW, my old man wasn't off course, how could he with all those neat nav toys guiding him correctly He mentioned on the phone today that the new prototype model is more than spot on, which is a relief. More feedback to be expected from Dakar in SA over the next few days (and also the start of sleepless nights. I'm sure for you, too, D., with Suzuki running your RB!)

He went a little bit off the prescribed course, when all the rest is spotless . The equipment is doing a hell of a job (not lost, most probably he ''avoided'' something)

Feeling really sorry for Guillaume as well. Engine problem or because of the initial crash? I hope he fixes everything and continues. He is such a figure and he is there for the adventure to begin with so I am sure if the bike gets ready he will continue to ride the dunes !
I am really glad the new proto is working ok., I wish I had my father as a tester The downside for me is that I am a ''stranger'' to Dakar. 1st year there. Sleepless nights begun the day I shipped the equipment and now I have to live with.... insomnia for the rest of January

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 01-03-2014 at 04:39 AM
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:20 AM   #52
Sportakus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Thanks for show to us a real rally raid...

YAMAHA XT660Z Ténéré 2008
KTM 690 Enduro R 2014
Sportakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:11 PM   #53
barrier
Says who?

AER Update!

NEWSLETTER RALLYE SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE
FRIDAY JANUARY 3rd 2014
STAGE N° 4: ASSA / AS SAKN: 405km
SPECIALE STAGE: ASSA / OUED AARRAID: 390km
LIAISON: OUED AARRAID / AS SAKN: 15km

The 4th stage of the SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE went as planned, the quality of the course satisfied the participants both on two and four wheels and the weather was close to summer temperatures, over 20°C with a beautiful sun.

Bike: Norbert DUBOIS wakes up
The arrival of the selective sector set up in Oued Aarraid on a nice sandy track was spectacular as three bikers arrived and passed the line at the same time. A little bit like a 20 minute motocross race but, they raced for over 6 hours and during 390km. Nobert DUBOIS was the first to pass the line on his 690 KTM and it made him today’s stage winner. A nice revenge for the Frenchman: “ It was a very nice stage for me where I got to appreciate the performance of my ride. I also managed my navigation which was not easy and in this case it’s difficult to be quick without doing errors. It was a good day. The old guys are still here! We are not going to let the youngsters take the large this easily.”

Obviously, these words where ironically destinated to Corsican Michael PISANO, 2nd of today’s stage 6’13'' minutes behind. The Corsican and his 450 honda keeps the first position in the general rankings 9’25'' in front of Dominique ROBIN, also on KTM, 3rd of the day at 8’24''.

A sad news came and shocked the rankings as Martin FONTYN abandoned the race and preferred to do medical checks after a big crash on yesterday’s stage. That makes the Belgian Joris VAN DYCK, very regular since the start, 3rd in the general ranking 24’31'' from PISANO and DUBOIS is 4th at 29’43''.

The good news of the day came from Harite GABARI which managed to continue the race. On his 450 YAMAHA, the Moroccan finished 6th of the day. He explained on the Moroccan TV why he took the decision to continue the race: “ When I arrived at the Bivouac last night, It was impossible for me to continue the race. I didn’t check my bike nor did my road book, but during the night I woke up and figured out the pain wasn’t as bad so I decided to take the start today. I don’t regret it as tomorrow is not a long stage and after that we have the resting. A good opportunity for me to rest and recover before Mauritania. Even if I lost a lot of time, the race is still long and a lot of things can still happen !”

Old 01-03-2014, 04:12 PM   #54
barrier
Says who?

AER Update!

CAR: Michel TURON BARRERE, Finally !
During the last three days, the victory was going through TURON BARRERE’s hands. His tires were way more damaged than his opponents at the end of the stage, easy to imagine how fast he went to earn his first stage win on the SONANGOL AFRICA ECO RACE. Especially the Frenchman broke a rim and damaged the braking system of his CRD Buggy. Knowing the conditions, this is a great performance and places him 4th in general at 43’09”, behind the BUGGA ONE Buggy of SABATIER at 34’14, and the TOYOTA Hilux of LOOMANS at 27’10 from Jean Louis SCHLESSER, only 5th of the day due to a puncture. The other blue Buggy’s victory slowly shows the opponents of SCHLESSER are getting more and more fast and the Frenchman’s margin is getting smaller.

Another participant which had puncture issues is SZALAY which had to change twice, same as the Belgian Stephane HENRARD which stays on top of the open category as Guillaume JORDA and Xavier LORMAND stayed on track before CP 1, with a broken gearbox. Due to this problem, it is now Frédéric PITOUT which is 2nd and Mathieu SERRADORI 3rd.

One last word concerning the crew of the n°207 Buggy composed by Hervé COTEL and Gilles FLORIN, which got back 50 minutes after having lost a lot of time waiting for medical assistance close to Thierry and Sophie BUNEL due to their accident. They are now 7th in the general ranks.

Trucks : Perfect Niklos KOVACS
In the truck category, a lot of punctures occurred, which gave the opportunity to KOVACS to win today at the wheel of his SCANIA in this 4th stage. The Hungarian was 2’29 in front of TOMECEK’s TATRA, which had a tire puncture and Noel ESSERS at 2’52. Today’s big looser was Portuguese Elisabete JACINTO which lost 12 min after changing tires twice on her MAN.

Saturday January 4th 2014, the stage will only be 204km. Not that bad as the participants will have a liaison of 578km to go to the Bivouac in Dakhla, right on the Atlantic Ocean shore for a nice resting day.

CONTACTS

Deserts Aventures
(Mandataire d'O.C.T)
Veronique is at your disposal for any informations:

Email: veronique.caire@africarace.com
Office: +33 (0)4 93 75 24 55
GSM: +33 (0)6 70 22 68 44

Competitiors department: concurrents@africarace.com
Press department: presse@africarace.com
General informations: info@africarace.com
Travel department : voyage@africarace.com

All the information on: www.africarace.com
Crédits photos : Alain ROSSIGNOL, Jorge CUNHA, Thierry SCHARFF et Alessio CORRADINI

Old 01-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #55
640 Armageddon
-oo-

From Corradini's FB

''Unfortunately Martin has some cracked ribs. He was riding slow and safe in a twisty pist, but there was a big stone and he was looking for just one sec at the roadbook. He's fine now, but the pain is too much to continue, also thinking about Mauritania, where is painful to pull the motorbike sometime.''

It's just sad ...
Old 01-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #56
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Guillaume

Old 01-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #57
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Playing with fire ...

Old 01-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #58
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,959
Im loving this thread please keep it coming!
Bluebull2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 06:01 PM   #59
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,786
+1

Seems like a great spirit to the race!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #60
hatz
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Hi Guys,

Today was a short stage, 200 km roughly. Very very fast and Guillaume is on the bike again scoring a 6th position. I think he rid himself of a few days of frustration not being able to ride.

Our friend in the RAID category Mark Blokker is doing good as well. The RAID is the 'adventure' category, following 1/2-2/3 of the competition roadbook. Mark has quite a story so sit back:

Marks' girl decided to leave this world in 2011 and commit suicide. Mark wanted to do something, decided to start working towards Dakar in Senegal and is raising funds and awareness. He rides for a small help-organisation who offers the kind of 'no judgements' style of help that might have been good for his girlfriend as well.

You might want to read about his project (in Dutch)

http://bestemmingdakar.nl/waarom-naar-dakar/

Because he rides in the RAID there are not that many photos but here is a nice one from Alain Rossignol:

http://bestemmingdakar.nl/wp-content...14D04A0637.jpg

cheers,

hatz screwed with this post 01-04-2014 at 11:14 AM Reason: imagesize
hatz is offline   Reply With Quote