User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #31
spagthorpe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 14,449
After a serious motorcycle accident, I had a lot of hardware on my leg and I had no way to get around. I had to have something that I could stretch my right leg straight in, but also drive. Something with a bench seat. A guy in the neighborhood had a complete beater 1970 Cutlass Supreme that had been sitting with a FOR SALE sign on it since before I moved there. This thing was ugly. It was hard to tell what the original color was, and only about three square inches of the vinyl top was left. Still, it started, and I rolled down the road for $200. Rolled was a bit of an exaggeration, since the tires were completely flat on one side, so the first trip was to the tire dealer for the cheapest tires they had that would fit.

Other than a leaking fuel line, that thing needed nothing else for the next several years I had it. It had the Rocket 350 in it, and would get you anywhere you needed to go as long as you could keep it in the lane with the loose steering. Never got more than 10mpg in it no matter how it was driven. It was a good car for the time, and got me out of a tight jam. In the end I donated it to a charity org, so hopefully someone else got some life out of it.
spagthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:41 AM   #32
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
After a serious motorcycle accident, I had a lot of hardware on my leg and I had no way to get around. I had to have something that I could stretch my right leg straight in, but also drive. Something with a bench seat. A guy in the neighborhood had a complete beater 1970 Cutlass Supreme that had been sitting with a FOR SALE sign on it since before I moved there. This thing was ugly. It was hard to tell what the original color was, and only about three square inches of the vinyl top was left. Still, it started, and I rolled down the road for $200. Rolled was a bit of an exaggeration, since the tires were completely flat on one side, so the first trip was to the tire dealer for the cheapest tires they had that would fit.

Other than a leaking fuel line, that thing needed nothing else for the next several years I had it. It had the Rocket 350 in it, and would get you anywhere you needed to go as long as you could keep it in the lane with the loose steering. Never got more than 10mpg in it no matter how it was driven. It was a good car for the time, and got me out of a tight jam. In the end I donated it to a charity org, so hopefully someone else got some life out of it.
I had one of them, my dad took it in as a trade in in the mid-70s. Was in such good shape after I detailed/inspected it that I told one of my friends to buy it.$1,200.00??? He did but was such a bad driver he managed to hit 3 of the 4 corners and ugly the crap out of it. And then also ripped both shocks off the control arms.

I bought it from him a couple years later, dents and all.$300.00??? Welded some Chevy shocks to the lower control arms and drove it for quite a while.

Was always fun lending it....Park was broken so had to remind them to use the eBrake. Still found it parked downhill with no brake on a few times. It never took off.

And it would stick in second.Bad for fuel milleage that. The only way to unstick it was to put it in reverse at around 60 mph, feel the clunk and quickly put it back into drive.

Lots of fun in that car.....60-80 mph on the lake and then start it into a spin.It spun and spun and spun......Winter time, a good way to clean the mud/salt off it.

Sold it for $200.00???to the wrecker who needed Olds parts. Not bad, lots of fun with that one for $100.00???
Old 02-03-2014, 03:10 AM   #33
TheNorthernMonkey
Clueless n00b

Oddometer: 209
I bought my current car, and E46 beemer for 1400 with 90k on it, as it had an engine warning light.

Handled like utter utter shit in the wet, due to some ho-chi-minh rear tyres. Replaced them with a full set of 4 good years for about 250 and now it drives like a beemer should.

2 1/2 years later, the engine warning light is still on, but its now on 140k

If it blows up tomorrow, it's still been a cheap car, but it's showing no sign of giving up yet.
TheNorthernMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:35 AM   #34
Mercenary
Mindless Savage

Oddometer: 964
1976 Chevy Vega. Got it for free when a friend's dad just wanted it out of his yard. I was still in high school so I couldn't afford much in the way of repairs and such so my dad put an exhaust on it for me....

Rusty to hell. Passenger door didn't work. Ate oil like it was using it for fuel.....

But man that little thing would go places I wouldn't bring an ATV. Put around 30 thousand hard kilometers on it when it threw a rod and broke down outside the police station in my home town.

Good times....
Old 02-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #35
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,578
Mine was a '93/'98 Suzuki Sidekick 4-door. I say '93/'98 because it was actually made out of two Sidekicks - one that had been quietly rusting away from the bottom up in a field for years, and one that had been rolled over. I bought both for $400 (from two different sellers), cut the roof off both, welded the '93 roof to the '98 body, bolted on the non-folded '93 doors onto it, and then drove it for 3 years with no problems. It was even pretty straight after the surgery - the doors all opened and closed properly, I was able to re-install the windshield with no problems, and it only leaked water into the cabin when it rained. It's gone now, but it never missed a beat. I'll miss that slow, noisy, ill-handling, ugly thing. It really was nice having a car I knew no one would mess with. I often got lots of extra space in traffic, probably because other drivers knew I had nothing to lose Went to school and worked in Detroit during the time I owned that car and almost always parked it on the street, unlocked. No one ever even so much as stole the quarters out of my ashtray.

Here she is, in all her glory:

The bumper was made by cutting the ends off the front sway bar of the '93 and welding it to the stock steel bumper. Worked great for knocking out-of-control shopping carts out of the way.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #36
RLK

Oddometer: 6,300
So, what's the challenge? We have suitable entrants.

The $275 Tracker hasn't missed a beat. 202k miles now...

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #37
Yukon65006

Oddometer: 498
73 Potiac Venture 250 straight 6 with a 2 speed automatic. 5 different shades of green with about 20 lbs of bondo between the rear fenders. Had just over 200 k on it and would backfire whenever you let off the gas. Replaced a broken exhaust valve spring to fix the backfire, a case of beer a brush and a half gallon of green rustoleum to solve the paint problem, a set of tires and the GreenScreamer lived for 2 years at a cost of $300.

A classmate sideswiped me and insurance totaled it for $700, bought it back for 10% of the totaled value. Chained it to a Oak in the yard and pulled the front corner backout, put in a junkyard radiator and drove it for 3 more months till I left for boot camp. Those 3 months where hard on it, from jumps, hot laps on the motorcycle flat track. Not a single body part was untouched, or glass intact when it was dropped off at the junkyard for the finial payout of $50.

For 2 1/2 years of abuse I made $350 off it.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #38
Doorguy1979
Dreamridin'

Oddometer: 623
1986 Pontiac Bonneville. 5.0 V-8 4bbl, th200 od trans. $750, not a scratch on it, 140,000 miles, in 2004.

Still have it, wrecked once, stone hammer reliable at 240,000. 28 mpg highway fyi.

08 KLR 650
82 Suzuki GS850
7? Sachs Moped Basket Case
Doorguy1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:26 AM   #39
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK View Post
So, what's the challenge? We have suitable entrants.

The $275 Tracker hasn't missed a beat. 202k miles now...

Love those little things. If I ever find a nice, low mileage, clean example around here, I'll be jumping on it. Problem is (and the reason I had to eventually get rid of mine) they rust out from underneath you here in the Salt Belt.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #40
tpirocz
i do what i want

Oddometer: 227

89 Cavalier bought with 189k on the odometer, but it wasn't working so who knows. paid $100. put 2 used tires on it $40, replaced a ruptured lower radiator hose with a used one, $10. it did use oil, so i would top it off with the old oil form our other cars, mowers, whatever. drove the car as a winter beater...discovered the air-conditioning worked awesome so i drove it as a year round beater. window regulators were busted so the windows were fixed with a L bracket and welder in the up position. door bottoms were rusted out you could see the road from inside, no inside door panels when i bought it. i eventually sold it for $100. guy i sold it to did not register it, ran from police, ran over some mail boxes, eventually he bailed while it was moving, it came to rest against a tree after taking down a fence. i get a call from a tow/impound yard waning $2600 to release the car to me......i did not pay.

got this for free. i don't know what year it was. i put in a used battery and a new power steering pump. i used it as an in-between car when i sold one truck and hadn't bought a replacement. a/c didn't work and i was in florida so i was never thrilled to drive it. one day on the highway the back glass blew out when some trim came loose and hit it. that was it for me. i gave it to the junk guy who came by my work.

i also had a very rusty 93 ext cab long bed silverado that i bought for $200. i was going to use it for going to home depot and to the dump. when i got it home i discovered 4 holes in the oil pan. jb weld fixed those. i drove it as intended for about 8 months, until the rear end blew up. father was getting a new car and the dealer had one of those push/pull we give you 4 grand deals. so we traded that in.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:19 PM   #41
sacto929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Car: 1999 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Entry $: Free
Date: October 2011
Repairs: ~$2000 so far, including:
  • Timing belt
  • Valve cover gasket
  • Rear main seal
  • Clutch with slave cylinder
  • Transaxle w/ oil
  • CV axles
  • Shocks
  • Brakes, discs, pads, drums, shoes, fluid
  • Left window regulator
  • Engine mounts
  • Spark plugs, wires and distributor
  • Engine oil and filter a couple of times
  • Tires
Current mileage: 193,000 miles and drives like new with the new tranny and well-adjusted clutch....
Old 02-04-2014, 01:31 PM   #42
MikeinEugene
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,442
That ^ Civic would be on my local CL for $2,500 OBO before your repairs...not after
MikeinEugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #43
sacto929
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinEugene View Post
That ^ Civic would be on my local CL for $2,500 OBO before your repairs...not after
Yeah, local CL was in the $3500 range when I got it for similar condition.

The poor car lived a tough life in Stockton and Fresno before it came to us. My BIL can't even remember how many times it was stolen and recovered. It now lives with an assigned VIN....
Old 02-04-2014, 04:11 PM   #44
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,229
1988 Ranger 4X4. 100 bucks with a smoked trans. Put in a 75 dollar used trans and I drove it a while and sent it along to my son. Finally had to do a proper trans, had it painted, son drove it until something better came along. Sold it to my son's pal for 3000.00. He drove it for a couple of years until squirrels ate the wiring and something better came along. Bought it back for 2000.00 and fixed the wiring. Goes anywhere, hauls the bikes, tows the trailer, always starts, always gets me home. A/C works and it has cruise control. Has a billiondy miles on it. Parts are cheap (new and used) so I guess I will always have a truck.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #45
xveganxcowboyx
Sitting on my ass

Oddometer: 81
1991 BMW 325iX. I paid $320 for it thinking it had a seized water pump. It turned out to just need a new pulley. That was $10. I think I had to put a bettery in it as well. $200 in snow tires. Best winter monster ever. It also spawned my love of Alpine White E30s. My current one wasn't so cheap.....though it was still a deal.
xveganxcowboyx is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: