User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #46
McB
Joe 40 ouncer

Oddometer: 15,410
'95 Miata. Bought it 3 1/2 years ago with 68k miles for $4300. Hail got it almost exactly a year later. Insurance gave me $5300, and let me buy it back for $2200, so it's cost me a net $1200 or so. Still under 90k on it, hail pings everywhere, but none you can see from behind the wheel. Runs strong, top is good, costs nothing to own and drive. Daily driver, drove it from Kansas to Vermont last summer without a hitch. $15/month for liability insurance. I'm currently undergoing treatment for basal cell carcinoma, but I can't entirely blame the car for that.
McB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #47
wiswoodsguy
Kmart shopper

Oddometer: 1,422
Traded a pair of Oakley sunglasses that I bought for $50 for a 1980 Datsun B 210 Notchback. Wife needed a winter beater to store her Trans Am (dont bawk, it was the 80's) Heater was the highlight of the car, it could boil coffee when it was on. The drawback was tires. We had just moved in together, so there wasnt a lot of extra money to buy tires. Got thru a WI winter with them, then sold the car for $125 in spring
wiswoodsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 12:02 AM   #48
discochris
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeCeeGS View Post
I used to work with a woman that had a one-owner Fiesta. About 10 years ago it had 40000 miles (summer only) and she said she'd never sell it. I often wonder if it's still around.
My best friend in high school had one. We got that POS up to 90 on a back road one day. Scary as hell. He got rid of it when it lost 2nd and 3rd gear.
discochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:12 AM   #49
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,403
Bought a 1200 /155,000 mile ford focus estate 2 years ago. Its now on 170,000 and still going strong. Its a1.8 tddi diesel so its built out of stone and can be fixed with a hammer, parts are cheap and working on it is a doddle. It spent its previous life as a company car, usually that kills em pretty quick, this just keeps going! Uses no oil at all and still does 45mpg over a tank :-) so far it's cost me a new steering rack, one tire and a regular service. Going to do the belts this year as we intend to keep it for a long time :-) Think it'll rust out before the engine let's go.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:56 AM   #50
jeep44
junk collector

Oddometer: 1,966
I just sold my '99 Chevy Blazer, with 117,000 miles. The rockers were all rusted out, mainly due to the salt they put on our dirt road to control dust. I looked at all the other Blazers on CL, and priced it at $1200. I was getting emails within minutes of posting it on CL-I sold it to the first responder,who didn't even try to bargain me down. Before I could take the listing down the next day, there were at least 20 other people wanting to see it. I guess I priced it a bit too low, but it did go to a young kid who needed a car to get to work.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:32 AM   #51
aaronrkelly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Ive got two.

1st - 1981 Ford 1/2 ton, 4x4, 4spd, 302 V8. $500

Thats the "after" picture. It was immaculately maintained mechanically. It needed nothing.....started, ran and drove superbly. I kept it around as a general spare car, loaner, haul shit, bad weather truck - worked great. It'd be 20 below zero, 2 foot of snow.....none of my newer vehicles would start and this piece of shit would fire right off.

It was used in the forest by loggers to drag wood out to the road. It had body panels and doors off about 5 different trucks on it. They'd slide it into a tree and fuck a door up bad enough it wouldnt open......and just take a door off another truck. I rattle bomb'd it in gray primer - cost me about $12.

I had that truck for about 5 years. I had to replace the starter solenoid, a wheel cylinder and a couple brake lines. Oh....and the gas tank. Even with the gas tank I bet I didnt spend $200 on it.

I bought a new vehicle that was 4wd so I sold it - got $1400 for it on Craigslist.

2nd - 1996 Saturn SL1, 4cyl, automatic (with only 60K miles on it) - $150

This is my current beater work car (to keep miles of my good shit).

Again this is the after pic. It had been hammered hard on the interstate and since these turds are plastic, it shattered instead of bending. I covered the busted doors in duct tape.....rigged up something for door handles.....and replaced the marker light on the passenger side with a trailer clearance light. All the glass is good......all the lights work.

Inside the car is completely functional.....air works exceptionally....cruise, power windows, locks etc all work.

Starts and runs great. Ive got about 105K on it now and short of plugs and wires.......and some used tires and oil changes its cost me very little.

I call it that Shaturn.....

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:07 AM   #52
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
That saturn is great! I love it.

My junk let me down over the weekend.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:13 AM   #53
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgbgt89 View Post
That saturn is great! I love it.

My junk let me down over the weekend.

Ohio salt sucks. My radiator is close to falling out of my ranger, there isn't much left of the mounts. I need to get on that soon.

I'm not sure if you know someone, but I can weld that piece if you can get it down here. I'm about 2 hours away. It'll be a bit off though, will probably chew tires. It's up to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:54 AM   #54
RLK

Oddometer: 6,280
Thread quickly becomes a hall of shame. Driving an obvious threat to public safety is not glamorous or amusing. Can I mail you a bus pass?

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:46 AM   #55
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLK View Post
Thread quickly becomes a hall of shame. Driving an obvious threat to public safety is not glamorous or amusing. Can I mail you a bus pass?
There's always someone saying that. It's not that bad, parts fall of newer stuff too here in the rust belt.

I work in pa, where they have vehicle inspections. Most of our cars come from there after they're too far gone to pass. It's funny seeing cars in the parking lots, ohio plates usually mean rust holes.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:48 AM   #56
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
There's always someone saying that. It's not that bad, parts fall of newer stuff too here in the rust belt.

I work in pa, where they have vehicle inspections. Most of our cars come from there after they're too far gone to pass. It's funny seeing cars in the parking lots, ohio plates usually mean rust holes.

New ones are only 50 bucks, and thats for moog parts. I'm replacing both.

To the guy bitching about it being a threat to public safety, STFU. I keep my cars in safe working order. Tell it to ford, theres people breaking them on cars that aren't rusty. Besides, you live in colorado springs, you don't know rust.

Mgbgt89 screwed with this post 02-18-2014 at 08:56 AM
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #57
jules083 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

To the guy bitching about it being a threat to public safety, STFU. I keep my cars in safe working order. Tell it to ford, theres people breaking them on cars that aren't rusty. Besides, you live in colorado springs, you don't know rust.
For $50 I don't blame you. I thought they'd be more.

I hear shit all the time about my stuff being dangerous. I don't let it bother me much anymore.

Old 02-18-2014, 10:36 AM   #58
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,387
This would probably be considered a threat to public safety considering the rust in weird places and the amount of expansion foam I put in it.

But no public here and nowadays I only drive it down the "local" road for a 1,200 lbs load of something. Or down "my" road for firewood. Best $500.00 I ever spent, beats any ATV/pickup for what I do with it and best of all the heater works. I have done my almost best to kill it for 10 years, that's proving impossible and there is always "Pick & Pull" for cheap parts. And not very often at that...!

377,083 kms and counting at maybe 200 hard ones a year.Runs on all my over 3 months old gasoline, sometimes premix and uses very little "used" BMW motorcycle oil.

Threat to public safety..... Eh! I might have to legally put it on the road this coming spring, lots of lumber to haul from the mill. No worries the roof rack is well reinforced, first time I tried that it bent down and I gingerly drove home with 7-800 lbs of lumber ready to collapse.Not much of a roof on them Toyotas.....
Old 02-18-2014, 06:50 PM   #59
RLK

Oddometer: 6,280
Quote:

The cheap car gods called my number right after I posted my horrible nasty comments about shame. I'm in for $450 worth of new alternator and related expenses on the $275 Tracker.

But seriously, PM me if you need a bus pass.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 02:50 AM   #60
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,403
Cars know when to do stuff like that don't they

Mine has developed an alternator belt squeal now, since i mentioned that i planned to change them earlier in this thread Its not too bad but i don't like hearing noises like that coming from the engine

So seeing as prevention is better than cure i have a crap load of parts on the way, Enough to change both belts, all tensioner and idler pulleys and the water pump for 100, gotta love eBay for parts

Just deciding if i need to spend an extra 50 on the proper camshaft sprocket puller or not.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: