Bolzen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
KTM 1190 Adv R
Old 12-23-2013, 09:21 PM   #62
DocRogers
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Having owned 2 GSs (an 1150 and a 1200 ADV), I can say I'd consider one if I had (as they did) extra people on hand to help lift the pig when I dropped it. Great highway bikes. But offroad? Not when there are other candidates weighing 200 lbs less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2013, 09:58 PM   #63
Freerydejunky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Dr650.
Freerydejunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 03:07 AM   #64
tour
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
2013 Yamaha YBR 125......

Can cruise at 80km/h all day.gets 35 km/L. that's more than 420 kms /tank of 12L.weight is almost nothing. Wont break down. Cost next to nothing. Can go anywhere and you will actually see everything. drop it who cares??? its so cheap.

just in case. I weight in at 90kg. ride an 950 SE and an very modded Africa twin for touring and have done solo long distance trips. will still choose the small yammie or any other sub 200 cc jap brand for a RTW.
tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:24 AM   #65
Don T
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 447
S10 or it's 660 baby brother depending on the amount of tar/off road I would be riding, and the amount of equipment I had to carry - both are well built and reliable bikes.

I could however be tempted by a KTM 690, as it would be much more fun in the rough stuff.
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:29 AM   #66
Colorado_Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,104
Good stuff! Sure is fun to think about.

Another funny thing about LWR was when they were taken to the BMW factory to learn how to fix them, they totally slacked off like the bike was literally bulletproof. And also, how is the GS a round-the-world bike with those kind of valve adjustment intervals? I guess anybody with the balls to do it could adjust them themselves, but I'm just sayin'
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 04:35 AM   #67
bikerfish
flyfishandride

Oddometer: 1,479
while I love my new wee, and have put many many miles on a KLR, if I were doing a RTW trip, I'd build up an old airhead, NOT a GS, but an older /6 or /7, points ignition, no fancy electronics to fizz out, dead simple reliability, and tough as hell. Able to carry a load, which is important, since I'd never be allowed to leave without my girlfriend on the back, and still be manageable in terrain it has no business being in.
Actually, I'm working on just such a bike, just in case the opportunity comes up to do such a trip!
bikerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:40 AM   #68
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
I'd have ridden whatever I could get sponsors to pay me to ride, just like they did

If paying my own way I'd grab the XR650R that's in my garage right now. Reasonably comfy, sledge-hammer like reliability, easy to fix, gets through anything, goes faster than I'd want to on a long tour.

FWIW you def don't have to take a WR540F apart every day, especially if you aren't running at max throttle and rpm the whole time. It's pretty typical for them to go a few hundred hours between major servicings when used as trail bikes.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:12 AM   #69
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 10,096
If I had a full crew to follow me around definitely the big BMW's! Then the big KTM's.

If I was on my own with my own budget? Probably a KLR, DR 650 or my Vstrom.
D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:46 AM   #70
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
free

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 01000011 View Post
Free makes the choice much easier.
yeah, thats about right !

not that the big GS is a bad choice, it's a great bike if abit too heavy, but these two clowns are .... POSERS

free bikes, support vehicles, red cross a call away, it's just too much - actors
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #71
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwunger View Post
yeah, thats about right !

not that the big GS is a bad choice, it's a great bike if abit too heavy, but these two clowns are .... POSERS

free bikes, support vehicles, red cross a call away, it's just too much - actors
Free bikes does not a poser make. But they were not really free. For you to get "free" bikes you have to deserve them. There ain't no free lunch, my friend.

Support vehicles and red cross? Think about what was likely written in the fine print on Ewan's movie contracts. The guy is no bum. If anything, he probably maneuvered the world of contracts and a break on movie deals to make the most of this trip and not jeopardize his movie career. The more you have, the larger the gamble, the bet is, win or lose. Among the things he negotiated was the amount of time away, when he needed to be back. And that probably involved a contract on the trip itself, for their sponsors wanted an outcome out of it. They were not wondering around. It was a trade off, like everything in life. And I do believe they made the most of it both in their personal lives but also professional. Far from being posers, I do believe.

But they were not fulfilling our dream, or your dream. But they certainly inspired many around the world to get out of their arses and do something. Even if they never go beyond the Starbucks, they will certainly dream about it. They would be the real posers until the make a long trip like theirs it into a reality even if on a much smaller scale.

So, to bring it to the personal side of things, to my perspective, I'm not going to criticize them for anything, except the drama, which was annoying to me. But it certainly worked for the female crowds, it had to entertain both boys and girls.

And if someone one day told me go and do it the same way they did (hey you bum, here are the bikes, the support crew, etc.), I would not say no. But I haven't done anything to deserve it nor have I drafted a plan to make it into a profitable investment to anyone. So I know, if I will ever make it one day, it will be on a smaller scale. Bum style. And if I complete a hard earned long trip, bum style or not, I still won't criticize Charlie and Ewan for making it the way they did theirs, I guarantee you that. I will only thank them and all others that have done it before them and after them, in what ever way the did it, many are here on this forum, for inspiring me.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 12-24-2013 at 10:21 AM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:12 AM   #72
Dudley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
I would take what I ride solo and remote now, my trusty 1989 Honda Transalp. I get between 50-55 MPG riding 55-65 MPH. I can repair anything on the bike in a ditch other than a major engine failure or bad get off. I carry an additional 3 gal of fuel along with 3 MSR bottles of auto fuel (works in my MSR cook stove). My panniers carry tools, spares, tubes, air pump, cooking & eating gear, freeze dried food for when I can't stop at a store, first aid etc, etc. My clothes are in a small water proof duffle and sleeping bag, polartec, hiking boots, rain gear and dopp kit in another bag on pillion and on top of Kolpin. Tent on footman loops on right pannier. extra fuel in a Kolpin on luggage rack and 1 1/2 can on left pannier. And a camp chair on top. Small tank bag with camera, sunglasses etc.
I have Piaa driving lamps, heated grips, highway pegs mounted on crash bars. I run extras thru a fuse block.

Here is the big thing...If I blow it up I can basically walk away from it. If I was on a $15-25000 Adventure bike I would be looking for a helicopter to airlift it out.

I know a guy who had 2 or 3 major break downs on the way to Alaska while riding his BMW GSA. The last time the bike had to be shipped from the Yukon to Minnesota. He was Mr. BMW but switched to a Super Tennere and loves it.

Dudley

1996 Triumph Trophy 900
1989 Honda Transalp
2010 KTM 690 Duke
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:22 AM   #73
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
ok then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
... except to some drama, which was annoying to me, but certainly worked for the female crowds, it had to entertain both boys and girls.
ok then .... and that's what these are, Entertainment ! .... we can agree on that.

again, not a bad thing - but not true ADV riding

I don't think they inspired the whole RTW thing - it's been going on for decades ! .... Ted Simon, Clem Salvadori, Emilio Scoto and many many more were doing this long before the Internet came to be it's just that now everyone can tell everyone what they are doing.

and the BMW GS' are indeed the #1 choice
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #74
frontiercat
all out of charm

Oddometer: 1,111
Husqvarna TE630 or TR650....light, can carry a decent load, good power and decent fuel economy.
frontiercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #75
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,862
Speaking of Husky, a Terra might be a great choice!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote