Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Sjaak is remarkable.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 10:22 PM   #92
OldManSandman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Sjaak Lucassen is the real deal nutter on that R1.

I loved the Long Way Round series and I thought that it was with way less support than the LW Down. LWD had loads of fixers and support, but I enjoyed as well. I think anyone who can muscle those big Beemers around the planet fully loaded can take credit for what they did. No small task, despite help financially and from the support crew. You could tell Charley and Ewan lost a few lbs by the end of Long Way Round. They also had a few sketchy encounters along the way.

They had good support from BMW: it was a risk that paid off well for them. They deserve the good marketing / advertising they paid for. And for all those who won't ride a BMW: look at all the great ADV bikes on the market as a result.

What bike would I take? I'm a taller guy, physically fit and like the big adventure bikes. I'm thinking the Super Tenere, though I only lust after one and don't have any road time on one yet. Comfort, reliability and cool factor gets my vote - it is a trip of a lifetime, after all. The big GS and KTM would also be awesome. My pal's GSA is all day comfy and a great riding machine. From what I've read though, the Super Ten seems to be the most reliable. I'd rather be swilling a beer at the end of a ride than wrenching. If my impression of its superior reliability is wrong try not to flame on me too badly...
OldManSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #93
hwunger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 342
others

anyway let's move on .... yes the guy on the R1 was pretty cool ! ... someone also did Baja in 24 hrs on an R1.

do you guys know about Jim Rogers 'investment biker' ? .... 1994 true RTW on an airhead Beemer with GF ! and no support, but lots of his own money - great read, basically cell phone and credit card, fancy resorts when he could, about 60K miles.

and then Canadian Rene Cormier 'U of Gravel Roads' about 2002, five years with one working year in between .... another true RTW guy again on a BMW 650 thumper, about 95K miles.

met him at a BMW thing a few years back - very modest man.

there are many others ....
hwunger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:39 AM   #94
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,318
A DR 650, without any doubt.
I've done trips on a 1200 GS and F658, and a DR650. For being far from home with no back up, the DR gets the nod. It's reasonably comfortable, with a new seat and windshield, can take on the gnarliest trails, and is dead reliable.
Did 3000 miles on one trip through Mexico and there were times the other bikes would just not have made it through. As for the long slabs; cruising at 70 to 75 was not bad. Plus it's easier to pick up.
I never had any problems with the BMWs, but there are more things that could go wrong with them that are not easily fixed in remote areas.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:12 PM   #95
JohninVT
Banned

Oddometer: 528
I'd probably take a prepped Honda CB550. Maybe a 750 Nighthawk.

Both would be a lot easier to manage than any super tanker ADV bike. Easy to service anywhere in the world. Common and cheap tire sizes. Both are fast enough for first world traffic but neither draws a lot of attention in less developed areas. Wayyyyyy more low key than a decked out $25,000 bike with another several thousand dollars in electronic shit festooned all over it.

If you ride a loaded GSA or KTM, while wearing a thousand dollar Schuberth, 3 grand worth of Ruuka gear and staring at your GPS as you trundle through third world villages....you sort of deserve being ass raped and sold for ransom by the locals.
JohninVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #96
pm9654
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyChizzle View Post
Triumph Tiger 800 or BMW F800GS.

Ditto.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #97
Seventy One
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I must be the only inmate here who has never seen this show.

Regardless, the correct answer to any motorcycling question is DR650.
2013 Tiger 800XC
Seventy One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #98
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,379
A good old ural (patrol or ranger) with a BMW (R71) engine in it :o) gotta love the two wheel drive for offroad sections and enough space in the sidecar to take a lot of crap with you... more over they come with a spare vodka bottle "just in case" "if" you face hard times. Can't beat that!
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:12 PM   #99
Colorado_Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seventy One View Post
I must be the only inmate here who has never seen this show.

Regardless, the correct answer to any motorcycling question is DR650.
If you watch with an open mind, it's good entertainment and a million times better than what else is on TV right now.
Colorado_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #100
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,433
Google is your friend

Each red dot and balloon shows a dealer. I know for a fact that this misses some, but the point is the proportional difference in brand-related support for BMW and a typical Japanese brand, in this case showing Yamaha.

So I'd go with the DR650 or start outside of the US with a XT660Z.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #101
OldManSandman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninVT View Post
If you ride a loaded GSA or KTM, while wearing a thousand dollar Schuberth, 3 grand worth of Ruuka gear and staring at your GPS as you trundle through third world villages....you sort of deserve being ass raped and sold for ransom by the locals.
Yikes! I'll take a JiaLing 125cc please and wear really thick jeans with a locking belt.
OldManSandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #102
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker View Post
Each red dot and balloon shows a dealer. I know for a fact that this misses some, but the point is the proportional difference in brand-related support for BMW and a typical Japanese brand, in this case showing Yamaha.

So I'd go with the DR650 or start outside of the US with a XT660Z.
I think Google may just be underestimating the YAMAHA network SLIGHTLY.

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:09 AM   #103
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,865
Likewise the BMW network.

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:33 AM   #104
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,754
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Likewise the BMW network.
BMW doesn΄t sell millions of tiny scooters all over Asia, so their dealer support may be a lot further away.

That said, not many Asian dealers will stock parts for any big bikes, they stock parts for those scooters mostly. But if you just carry a spare part book of your bike with you, and it΄s a common model sold in lots of places, should be no problem to order parts.
Countries ridden • FIN • SWE • NOR • DK • EE • LV • LT • POL • SK • HU • RO • BG • GR • IT • AT • DE • CZ • CH • SMR • LIE • NL • BE • FR • AND • ES • GBR • LUX • SI • HR • BIH • SRB • MK • TR • IR • PAK • IND • TH • KH • LA • MY • ID • AUS • CR • USA • ZA • LS • SWZ • MZ • NA • BW • ZM • ZW
Pecha72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:09 AM   #105
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,350
Another mission for the mythic WR450R...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote