User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2013, 02:46 PM   #1
ChipsonFriday OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Scoot won't climb hills

Ok. So I'm 17 stone and trying to ride a Peugeot Speedfight 50cc scoot up a hill - and it doesn't like it much.

We have a challenge at work amongst us 'Bikers'. Buy a 50cc twist and go for less than 200 and make it ready for a number of tasks.

Easy! NOT

I managed to get a 2000 Speedfight dirt cheep. It hadn't been used for a few years. It's clean and it runs, however if I ride up a hill to the top providing I had some momentum when I hit the start of the hill, albeit at 20 ish Mph. (Expected with what the poor thing has to carry.)

The problem comes when I stop halfway up the hill. The scoot will not pull away but just bogs down, and I end up turning the scoot around and heading back down the hill.

I have cleaned out the carb, replaced the spark plug and the air filter. The engine appears to be fine and revs nicely when it is on its centre stand.

Replaced the variator with a new one (stock item). Replace the torque spring (1000 rpm) - no better. Replaced the clutch springs for some that would engage the clutch a little later but again no improvement.

It's as if when I'm halfway up a hill and try to pull away the revs don't get anywhere near the power needed to pull me away up the hill and the engine is under heavy load (me).

Variator - stock with 8gm weights
Clutch torque spring - 1000rpm
Clutch springs - Malossi red (sports!)

Any thoughts?

Chips
ChipsonFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
bikeridermark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,013
You need lighter rollers or lighter sliders. That will solve the problem.
bikeridermark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,391
I have a couple of 125s, and they won't climb either. Rollers are stock. Just for the heck of it I will try lighter ones and see what happens.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
ChipsonFriday OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeridermark View Post
You need lighter rollers or lighter sliders. That will solve the problem.
Thank Mark.

I have been concentrating on the clutch so far. I have bought a roller set with weights from 5.5G to 7.0G.

I'm guessing the lighter the roller the later (slower) the variator is closed and the gear ratio stays in 'first' whilst spinning fast enough to engage the clutch.

The heavier rollers push the plate closed early and forces the transmission into higher 'gear'. A bit like pulling away in third or even fourth gear which might explain my issue.

Do I go Big Bang and replace the 8G rollers with the lightest (5.5) ones or will they be to light?

Chips
Old 12-22-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Are you from top gear? Because you describe something (cheap ride, modded to be put through various tasks) that they would come up with...
You can't be the stig, the tame racing driver never speaks...
And the one hates motorcycles/scooters...
So you have to be james may...he's the most likey to go to the the scooter community of the three...
Well james you came to the right place, these folk have oil for blood.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:22 AM   #6
ChipsonFriday OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vt1099ace View Post
Are you from top gear?
I wish I had their budget...

Chips
Old 12-22-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 2,800
Don't go extreme with lighter rollers. You could blow the motor from over rev. Try the 7 grams. Also, a worn belt will exhibit gearing that is too tall.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #8
ChipsonFriday OP
Adventurer

New belt came with the replacement variator. I will start with the 7G rollers. And see how it goes. It only takes half an hour to swap them out so I might experiment by lowering the weight by half a gram and taking the scoot out for a hill climb each time.

Chips
Old 12-22-2013, 08:00 AM   #9
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
So I've read this a couple times and I'm kinda confused. You said your 17 stone which converted is approx. 240 pounds, so your a pretty good size guy. Do you have experience with other 50cc scooters where they have no issue starting from a stop on a grade and handle it well?

I haven't ridden a 50cc anything since I was probably 12, but back then they were geared so you had the advantage of being able to start in first and rev while feathering the hand clutch. I only weighted about 100 pounds so I don't recall much of an issue.

Is your concern that the Peugeot is not working as it should, or are you trying to improve it to do above and beyond what a well sorted 50cc scooter should do? How many horse power is that engine- 4?

I'm not being judgemental- just trying to understand what you're trying to accomplish. Seems like you might be asking a bit much out of a 50cc scooter with CVT.

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #10
ChipsonFriday OP
Adventurer

Totally new to 50cc scooters. It's a twist and go so there is no manual clutch to feather.

The last moped I had when I was 18 and ten stones (140 pound).

The trouble is the other guys in the challenge have all managed to get a scooter but they are all non-runners. Mine is the only one so far that will run. A couple of the guys are also pretty weighty but we all live some way apart, otherwise I would have got one of them to try the hill on my scooter.

These 50cc scooters are sold to thousands of people but I have never seen a weight warning on any sales documents!

Only to ridden by lightweights....

Chips
Old 12-22-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,055
It's 50 cc's. While I don't know how steep the hill is, the thought occurred to me that you might be asking too much of it.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #12
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,789
Let me be the first to say that's a damn cool challenge you're in. Sounds like fun.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #13
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,086
I am going to be brutally honest. You weight more than the scoot. It might poduce 3BHP on a good day. If you want it to climb the hill you should look for a big bore kit.
k-moe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #14
ChipsonFriday OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-moe View Post
If you want it to climb the hill you should look for a big bore kit.
Outside of the rules of the challenge.

Yeah I know the weight ratio - thanks! But you know that's part of the challenge for me.
If I am riding the scoot at some pace (25-30MPH) when I start the hill climb I can get to the top. It's just if I stop halfway up the hill and then try to continue it fails. Which sort of suggests that it may just have the guts if only I can coax it from a stand still to a crawl - and then who knows...

Part of the challenge is to ride the mighty steed to work. Sounds easy but I live 50 miles from work and the journey includes a couple (at least) of hills.

Now on my GS1200 that's an easy ride of about an hour.

If I can get the scoot to make the hills I'm guessing the journey to work will be a healthy two to three hours.

I have until April next year to make this happen - and keeping within the limits of the challenge I intend to.

Just got to beat those hills........

Chips
Old 12-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #15
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,003
I hope everyone in the challenge is being subject to the same distance, weight, and hill requirements.

Best of luck to you.

2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote