User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
GREY.HOUND OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Burgman 650; Runner up in RideApart Touring MC of the year

Just saw this. Lot's of Honda MC's but anyway, scroll down to touring and they rank the Burgman 650 runner up to the Goldwing F6B. Just thought I'd post this, FYI

http://rideapart.com/2013/12/rideapa...year-awards/3/

Edit: Thanks donmac for finding the link I forgot

GREY.HOUND screwed with this post 12-22-2013 at 08:58 AM
GREY.HOUND is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 03:05 AM   #2
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,986
Link? I don't seem to find it. Thanks.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
donmac
casual angler

Oddometer: 189

Tourer Runner-Up: Suzuki Burgman 650

How It Moves The Needle: 90 percent of the distance ability of a Gold Wing in a lighter, more affordable, much easier to use package.

Why It Didnít Win: The small wheels and very low center of gravity lead to low-speed awkwardness and, well, itís a scooter.
donmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Well I can tell you after owing several Goldwings and now a 650 Burgman, plus my dual sport bikes that the 650 Burgman is truly a fun scooter to ride. Never thought I would tour on it, but it will do it without any problems, in fact I might just put it to the test one day. Funny thing is that now the dual sport bikes set in the shop and the 650 Burgman is the ride of choice, how could this happen, well just ride one and you will see. One thing I have to disagree with is that I find the low speed handling of the 650 Burgman very good, maybe this is because I ride dual sport bikes and adapting the scooter to slow speed handling is not so much a problem for me, I find parking lot turn and control very easily done.

John

trainman screwed with this post 12-22-2013 at 08:34 AM
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 08:35 AM   #5
JerseyBiker
Scootarazzi

Oddometer: 1,937
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmac View Post

How It Moves The Needle: 90 percent of the distance ability of a Gold Wing in a lighter, more affordable, much easier to use package.

Why It Didnít Win: The small wheels and very low center of gravity lead to low-speed awkwardness and, well, itís a scooter.
It's a scooter...........lol. At least they are honest.

I toured a bit on B650 with my wife. So comfy!

Surprised to see they would make it #2. Scooters have come a long way in acceptance!
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,751
If I wanted a touring rig, Burgman would be my no.1 choice.

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by donmac View Post

I always thought a scooter could outmaneuver a motorcycle at low speed. Perhaps a scooter requires a more sensitive balance. I can't remember seeing anyone struggle with a scooter at low speed, but I have seen touring motorcycles go over 90 degrees. Crunch.....crunch.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:10 PM   #8
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

http://youtu.be/o0fZsd6lgAU And they love him for it.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #9
RedArrow
If only the moon

Oddometer: 1,548
Yeah, what are they talking about? My scooter is much easier to handle at low speeds than my bf's 250 dual sport. It certainly doesn't take the concentration to make little circles at low speed then a motorcycle does. Are we supposed to just take what they say at face value? Lower center of gravity plus smaller wheels are supposed to add up to harder to maneuver at low speed? What am I missing here?
Old 12-24-2013, 01:31 AM   #10
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Yeah, what are they talking about? My scooter is much easier to handle at low speeds than my bf's 250 dual sport. It certainly doesn't take the concentration to make little circles at low speed then a motorcycle does. Are we supposed to just take what they say at face value? Lower center of gravity plus smaller wheels are supposed to add up to harder to maneuver at low speed? What am I missing here?
As I get older, a lot older, I find comfort in my dedication to scooters instead of the large motorcycles I see other ageing men on. I had a 1000cc Goldwing for half a year, and decided that I was setting myself up for a low speed tumble some day. My scooters are heavy for scooters at 330 lb., but are easy to handle. A lighthearted experience. I don't have to think hard or plan my moves when parking, or carry a cast metal plate to put under my side stand.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2982116...n/photostream/ I see old guys riding big tricycles because apparently they have lost their ability to manage a big 2 wheeler and won't give up the huge engine. I saw a guy lose control of his Harley putting it on a sidestand- he was a chunky guy about 5'2" tall. Five guys rushed to help put it upright, it was lying completely on its side, crushing the saddlebags. I even saw a terrified looking old man with training wheels on a huge Goldwing riding down the highway at about 35 mph. A large segment of the biking population is ageing quickly. Too bad so many stay with big instead of switching to scooters.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:27 AM   #11
Starky14
Yowie Bait

Oddometer: 242
Being new to scooters, when I picked up my 650 Burger about six months ago, I did think it was a pig at low speed. I was not happy with it at all.

Now I flick it around like a toy at low speed, I simply use my trials experience and nerve to keep my feet up. Works great.

Maybe the Tester did not have a lot of experience on a Scooter.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:20 AM   #12
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,585
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
As I get older, a lot older, I find comfort in my dedication to scooters instead of the large motorcycles I see other ageing men on. I had a 1000cc Goldwing for half a year, and decided that I was setting myself up for a low speed tumble some day. My scooters are heavy for scooters at 330 lb., but are easy to handle. A lighthearted experience. I don't have to think hard or plan my moves when parking, or carry a cast metal plate to put under my side stand.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2982116...n/photostream/ I see old guys riding big tricycles because apparently they have lost their ability to manage a big 2 wheeler and won't give up the huge engine. I saw a guy lose control of his Harley putting it on a sidestand- he was a chunky guy about 5'2" tall. Five guys rushed to help put it upright, it was lying completely on its side, crushing the saddlebags. I even saw a terrified looking old man with training wheels on a huge Goldwing riding down the highway at about 35 mph. A large segment of the biking population is ageing quickly. Too bad so many stay with big instead of switching to scooters.
It's not just the old guys riding bikes that are too big for them. I see it in men and women of all ages. Too much of the bigger is better mentality. Personally, I'd take the Burgman over their first pick, the goofy looking and heavy F6B, in a heartbeat. That is if I was looking for a big touring bike, which I'm not.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 02:42 PM   #13
ice1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
don`t understand it

too big, too heavy, and too expensive
ice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
CaptnJim
Scootist

Oddometer: 853
Perspective. The last bike I had before buying these scooters was a V-Strom 650. I was almost embarrassed to tell some of my bike friends about "the little bike" I bought (the V-Strom, not the PCX).

By small scooter standards, the Burgman 650 is HUGE! But, if you want a scoot to eat up miles on the highway, it is well-proven. Since the category is "Touring MC of the Year," you have to give kudos to the B650 that it came out ahead of other, LARGER DISPLACEMENT, motorcycles.

No, you aren't going to move it around in a parking lot as easy as a Honda PCX, but if touring is the job description, it is the right tool for the job. What may be too small, too big, too expensive, or too heavy depends on your perspective... what you came from and what you intend to do with the scoot.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim

CaptnJim screwed with this post 12-26-2013 at 09:54 PM
CaptnJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 06:13 PM   #15
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,637
As far as scooters go, I prefer smaller ones. But having owned 2 Goldwings, I can definitely see how the Burgman 650 would be the way to go. One third the price, and way better mileage. The Goldwing has become a 2 wheeled car, and I have heard that Honda plans on making it even bigger. I do wish Suzuki would fix the Burgman's transmission issues. I can see buying a used Burgman 650 as a touring bike if not for that. I no longer have the budget for a new one.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote