Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #16
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice1 View Post
too big, too heavy, and too expensive
The BMW K1200LT I used to ride, '05 first year with assisted center stand, was too big, too heavy, and too expensive.

I would take the Burgman 650 over that bike any day without a test ride on the burger.

About that article in general; there was almost too much Honda love going on. Not that it isn't possible. Does furrow a brow with suspicion.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:57 AM   #17
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
As far as scooters go, I prefer smaller ones. But having owned 2 Goldwings, I can definitely see how the Burgman 650 would be the way to go. One third the price, and way better mileage. The Goldwing has become a 2 wheeled car, and I have heard that Honda plans on making it even bigger. I do wish Suzuki would fix the Burgman's transmission issues. I can see buying a used Burgman 650 as a touring bike if not for that. I no longer have the budget for a new one.
Issues I've read about on it's transmission as far as I've seen have been resolved in model year 2004, or, 10 years ago.

Is there anything new?

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #18
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,610
Goldwing owners tend to be total fanatics about their bikes, and most would not even consider riding anything else. If they get to where they cannot handle them on 2 wheels, they make a trike out of them. I had a lot of problems with mine, and never understood the love and loyalty most owners have for them, even when they do have problems.

As far as the Burgman transmission problems, from all the research I've done, the problems seems to be somewhat sporadic, and can affect all years. However it only seems to affect a small number of scooters, so far. It seems to be caused by the electric motors and plastic gears used to shift the transmission. Many have suggested that shifting it manually is hard on it. I have a fear of plastic parts in engines since my '96 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, bought used with 30,000 miles on it, had an engine failure at 37,000 miles, because of a broken plastic oil pump gear.

There does seem to be a lack of really good information available about this issue, though the problem is known to exist.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:54 AM   #19
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,076
Lack of information is due to the "problem" being a few isolated incidents. If you want to generalise a bike's reliability based on this then you can miss out on a great machine... according to most every owner of this model.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,295
Quote:
Goldwing owners tend to be total fanatics about their bikes, and most would not even consider riding anything else. If they get to where they cannot handle them on 2 wheels, they make a trike out of them. I had a lot of problems with mine, and never understood the love and loyalty most owners have for them, even when they do have problems.
Just at the time they would most enjoy a scooter, the old guys get huge trikes. Gotta have the big engine.
Old 12-27-2013, 04:46 PM   #21
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrboi View Post
Just at the time they would most enjoy a scooter, the old guys get huge trikes. Gotta have the big engine.
I agree with your opinion. I started my love affair on two wheels with a 1952 Allstate Scooter, then moved up to an Allstate Crusaire, etc. I've been riding cruisers and touring bikes for the last 50 years

I'm presently riding a Gold Wing, which I love, but at almost 72 years of age, realize I need a lighter bike with automatic. I will probably make the switch to a maxi scooter this coming Spring, and and am excited about it. It will be like my second childhood.

A couple of years ago, I test rode a Gold Wing trike. Not for me, got very little out of it!!!! Man, I hope the Honda Integra makes it into the U.S.

Sidenote: I believe that many old timers like me feel that scooters threaten their masculinity. I could be wrong.

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec343 View Post
I agree with your opinion. I started my love affair on two wheels with a 1952 Allstate Scooter, then moved up to an Allstate Crusaire, etc. I've been riding cruisers and touring bikes for the last 50 years

I'm presently riding a Gold Wing, which I love, but at almost 72 years of age, realize I need a lighter bike with automatic. I will probably make the switch to a maxi scooter this coming Spring, and and am excited about it. It will be like my second childhood.

A couple of years ago, I test rode a Gold Wing trike. Not for me, got very little out of it!!!! Man, I hope the Honda Integra makes it into the U.S.

Sidenote: I believe that many old timers like me feel that scooters threaten their masculinity. I could be wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=sYxU_lYBHpY
Old 12-29-2013, 06:11 AM   #23
scootrboi
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donmac View Post
http://rideapart.com/2013/12/rideapa...year-awards/3/

Tourer Runner-Up: Suzuki Burgman 650

How It Moves The Needle: 90 percent of the distance ability of a Gold Wing in a lighter, more affordable, much easier to use package.

Why It Didn’t Win: The small wheels and very low center of gravity lead to low-speed awkwardness and, well, it’s a scooter.
http://youtu.be/kJ7zJYMIMw4 Notice how the scooterists struggle with the small wheels and low center of gravity trying to maneuver their clumsy machines.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #24
gec343
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
Quote:

As far as the Burgman transmission problems, from all the research I've done, the problems seems to be somewhat sporadic, and can affect all years. However it only seems to affect a small number of scooters, so far. It seems to be caused by the electric motors and plastic gears used to shift the transmission. Many have suggested that shifting it manually is hard on it. I have a fear of plastic parts in engines since my '96 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic, bought used with 30,000 miles on it, had an engine failure at 37,000 miles, because of a broken plastic oil pump gear.

There does seem to be a lack of really good information available about this issue, though the problem is known to exist.
You're right, most Gold Wing riders are "fanatical" about their bikes. I'm a Gold Wing rider, but not in that category, at least I think. Although very heavy, Wing's handle very well, much like a sport bike. However, the weight is intimidating at low speeds, at a standstill, etc. I wouldn't even consider triking the thing, but will switch to a maxi scooter when the need arises, which is not far away!!

2010 Gold Wing/ABS
1977 R100/7 (bought new)
gec343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:14 AM   #25
jwdub
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
I recently bought a 2007 Burgman 650. Other than the harsh front suspension, which I intend to modify, I find it to be easy to manage at barely walking speeds and quite comfortable at speeds up to about 75 --- necessary around the Phoenix area. It's my first scooter since the 1947 Cushman I bought in 1962 --- what a difference! I still ride a wide range of motorcycles on the street and in the dirt, but the Burgman is my choice for shorter trips of 30 - 50 miles or so.
jwdub is offline   Reply With Quote