ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2014, 04:18 AM   #106
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,123
So...4corners14.....you gonna race big Orange with me Sunday?
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #107
4corners14
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 565
Racing.....

Nope....my racing career ended some years back with a neat little ambulance ride. When it took 5 months to get myself out of bed without having to hit my knees first and then pull myself up....I decided I'd leave the racing for the young folks. I raced multiple styles in the dirt for almost 20 years. That was enough. I did a hillclimb event a couple of years ago and might do it again as the Berg is a good candidate for that. I pretty much ride for fun now. I'll be there to yell for you though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
So...4corners14.....you gonna race big Orange with me Sunday?
4corners14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #108
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4corners14 View Post
I think you mean you did the Ironman Poker Run on Saturday last year ....right? The title of the event says it all. The Poker Run is a ride, the D100 is a race. No one will be using your body or your bike for traction on Saturday's ride like they would during the race. Completely different mind set needed to race. If you're looking for a percentage of intensity difference in the two events....I'd say it's more like.....70% more intense on race day. I'm not saying not to do it....it is a great test of skill and stamina, just go into it with your eyes wide open......and good luck to you if you decide to race! The good news is the ADV class is only one lap (50miles)
Yeah I did the ironman on Saturday last year. Maybe I'll do another Ironman this year and race next year.

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:47 AM   #109
mx813
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88NX250 View Post
The race is about 10-20% more crazy than the Ironman ride in my opinion. Fewer people, fewer children, but they usually throw in a little more challenging terrain.
Actually, I disagree in regards to craziness. Race day is race day and people/riders are focused on one thing, racing... Poker run, we get all types of riders, bikes, ages, etc... out there. This comes from 5 yrs of sweeping (sweeper and sweep captain, etc...)

Yes, course is different than IM loop but if you can run the IM loop, there isn't any reason you can't do the race loop.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:51 AM   #110
mx813
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Road Ryder View Post
Thanks I was, I wanted to race my 950 and had hopes others would as well, I suggested the idea to Mx813 who got it passed with the club. My company sponsored the class then and the next year.
The first year things looked good with almost 15 racers, but almost everyone bailed when race day rolled around, Too bad, that was the best conditions Ive ever seen at the 100. last year we had 5 or so racers.
again after many more talked the talk, but didn't walk the walk
At that pace I don't see the need for a class and something that Im not really interested in.

From what I understand this year the ADV class will have an even bigger purse then what Cyclops was able to offer. Maybe that will entice a few guys??
Hopefully there is a good turnout of ADV class racers this year. Its doable on big bikes and should give the racers in this class a real feeling of accomplishment, at least the guys on 800 plus cc bikes.
As much as I'd like to take credit for the idea...that goes to wiz636. I support this class and hope it grows.

Prize purse has gone up...pretty sweet offering for 1st place in ADV class.

Got a PM regarding a prize to go towards one of the adv class winners so I will be working on that to come to fruition. Very cool!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #111
Off Road Ryder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by mx813 View Post
As much as I'd like to take credit for the idea...that goes to wiz636. I support this class and hope it grows.

Got a PM regarding a prize to go towards one of the adv class winners so I will be working on that to come to fruition. Very cool!
Sorry Mike, I thought it was you I spoke to.. Both you guys are always helpful.
www.cyclopsadventuresports.com
1-800-624-0278
Off Road Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:11 PM   #112
MrHighbeam
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
For the last decade or so I've done the ironman on Saturday and then the D100 on sunday. First on an xr400 and the last two on my KLX250. The D100 is much crazier. The bottleknecks are terrible and people aren't "nice" about helping each other since it is a race and not a fun run.

You might think you're going to take it easy on the D100 but then that cannon goes off and you feel a need to push and push and next thing you know you are hauling balls. The competitive desire is deep in our brains, hard to not pass that slow guy.
2009 KLX250s with all black SF plastic, kickstarter added, edge taillight assembly, Utah skid plate, unabiker radiator guards, renthal CR-hi bends, acerbis hand guards, Dunlop 606 F&R, rimlocks, DJ jetting.

Former XR fanatic and amateur off road event racer.
MrHighbeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #113
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:

Is there any plans from Kenda to mount tires prior to the race? I will be fresh off the AZ and UTBDRs so I am certain to need new shoes, I like Kendas so it is a no brainer.

If so do you have a point of contact so I can make sure he has a set on hand for my F800GS?
Old 02-13-2014, 07:35 AM   #114
mx813
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOP Dirt-Rider View Post
Is there any plans from Kenda to mount tires prior to the race? I will be fresh off the AZ and UTBDRs so I am certain to need new shoes, I like Kendas so it is a no brainer.

If so do you have a point of contact so I can make sure he has a set on hand for my F800GS?

That's a good question...not sure if Kenda will be punching tires the day before or what their stock will look like.

Let me shoot your inquiry to our sponsorship guy and see if he can dig an answer up.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:21 AM   #115
mx813
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
That's a good question...not sure if Kenda will be punching tires the day before or what their stock will look like.

Let me shoot your inquiry to our sponsorship guy and see if he can dig an answer up.

Update:

Kenda will have a display there for tires, etc... Webb Powersports of Ellensburg will be retailing Kenda tires. Your best option is to call Webb Powersports and ask if they could order the tires you need to be mounted.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:55 AM   #116
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 558
Quote:
Update:

Kenda will have a display there for tires, etc... Webb Powersports of Ellensburg will be retailing Kenda tires. Your best option is to call Webb Powersports and ask if they could order the tires you need to be mounted.
Thanks much!!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:26 PM   #117
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Yeah I did the ironman on Saturday last year. Maybe I'll do another Ironman this year and race next year.
Do the race. You've got the skills just use your brain too. Hell, if an old man with an artificial knee can do it riding an old school LC4 there's no reason for you to pass up on the fun. Racing feels great compared to just riding. Your pace quickens and your focus intensifies. There is a clarity that comes with racing, balancing the desire to go all out with the understanding that it's a long way and high speed crashes come with consequences.

The adventure class starts second wave (as do us old folks). The riders out for blood are down the course. When the cannon goes off head out as quick as you're comfortable with. There will be riders ahead of you and behind. Within a few miles the pack spreads and there are plenty of tracks to pass or be passed. I found a lot of camaraderie between the riders when you're not mixing it up with those that are actually trying to win.
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #118
wbedient
MoTard

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Do the race. You've got the skills just use your brain too. Hell, if an old man with an artificial knee can do it riding an old school LC4 there's no reason for you to pass up on the fun.
Dang it... I had just resigned to the Ironman and now you go and convince me to do the race.

What rear tire did you run last year?

2008 KTM 690 Enduro
My Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wbedient#g/u
wbedient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #119
$kywalker
what's next?

Oddometer: 156
tires..

just a heads up. there are alot of flats and outta gas situations out there. heavy duty tubes and higher psi is a good idea.
i run 18-20 in the front...15 in the back. hard like the rocks...lol no flats.
i use the maxxis desert it.

make sure you can do 50+ miles on a tank or carry extra.

im on a yz250 with a wide ratio transmission this year. hopefully i can keep up with the 450s in the straights now...

luke.
$kywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 07:47 AM   #120
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbedient View Post
Dang it... I had just resigned to the Ironman and now you go and convince me to do the race.

What rear tire did you run last year?
You'll enjoy the race and be looking forward to the next one to better your time.

The characteristics needed for these heavy, powerful bikes where you want top off-road performance but ride a fair amount of pavement are real knobbies with stiff sidewalls. I run Pirelli Scorpion Rally f&r. Their MT18 rear gives even better performance but doesn't last as well. Surprisingly, you don't give up much for paved canyon carving compared to more street oriented DS tires. They stick well. IMHO tires like the MT21, 606, & 908 don't hook up well enough in the dirt.
Sparrowhawk is online now   Reply With Quote