Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotaildog View Post
That makes sense. I wasn't aware of that option. I'm guessing those parts are pretty hard to find?
Your bike is very nice...
There are folks here with a lot of knowledge and another good source (the best IMO) is the Britbike Forum, I went around and around trying to get my Uncles old T100c's energy transfer ignition to work right or even to understand how it worked exactly in spite of what the factory shop manual said.
Long story short it is the best (IMO) resource for Brit stuff.
Here is the Triumph Page:http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbth...Board=4&page=1
I get lost there because there is so much to read/learn.
Good luck, I plan to stay tuned.

So much riding-so little time

Xcuvator screwed with this post 12-25-2013 at 12:46 AM
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #17
redprimo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
I'd imagine that the McQueen bike would have the quick change rear wheel. This permitted the brake and sprocket to remain on the swing arm after the wheel was removed. It was an option for many years and is illustrated in the parts books.
It was also common practice for for the ISDT riders to lay the bike in the ground chain side down and pop the tire off one side of the rim so that they could fish the tube out and patch it without pulling the wheel off the bike.

Since any repairs to the bike had to be made while the bike was on the course/ out of the lock up area there was little to be gained by swapping tubes since three old one would need to be repaired while still on the course.

This is the likely reason for the modified exhaust.
redprimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #18
tbird649
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
Ace Classics

Ace Classics www.aceclassics.co.uk built a Steve McQueen replica, it was in a UK Classic bike mag faily recently. I just looked at their website, and apparently they are now building them to order (16,000 !!!) Might be worth a look at their website, lots of pictures. As far as the QD rear wheels are concerned, parts should be easy to come by, I believe most UK bikes had them, while the US ones did not.

tbird649 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:16 AM   #19
Twotaildog OP
Old Poop

Oddometer: 1,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcuvator View Post
That's a beauty, X. Thanks for the tip on the Britbike forum. I'll check that out after Christmas.
Twotaildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #20
Twotaildog OP
Old Poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by redprimo View Post
It was also common practice for for the ISDT riders to lay the bike in the ground chain side down and pop the tire off one side of the rim so that they could fish the tube out and patch it without pulling the wheel off the bike.
This is the likely reason for the modified exhaust.
That makes sense.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #21
Twotaildog OP
Old Poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird649 View Post
Ace Classics www.aceclassics.co.uk built a Steve McQueen replica, it was in a UK Classic bike mag faily recently. I just looked at their website, and apparently they are now building them to order (16,000 !!!) Might be worth a look at their website, lots of pictures. ...
I saw some pictures of their replica when I did a google search. I checked their website, they don't appear to be marketing the individual components they use to make the replica bikes though. Their replica is probably a more accurate copy than my tribute bike will be anyway, we'll see.

Thanks for the info.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:26 AM   #22
Twotaildog OP
Old Poop

I see that Feked.com is selling what appears to be a similar siamesed exhaust pipe. Anyone have any experience with them?

Merry Christmas all.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #23
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,686
Quote:
Your bike is very nice...
There are folks here with a lot of knowledge and another good source (the best IMO) is the Britbike Forum, I went around and around trying to get my Uncles old T100c's energy transfer ignition to work right or even to understand how it worked exactly in spite of what the factory shop manual said.
Long story short it is the best (IMO) resource for Brit stuff.
Here is the Triumph Page:http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbth...Board=4&page=1
I get lost there because there is so much to read/learn.
Good luck, I plan to stay tuned.
ET systems were troublesome at best. The magnet rotor had to be timed so it was at the maximum magnetic flux when the points opened. This was continually changing as the auto advance mechanism advanced and retarded the place the points opened and closed. The upshot was that you could have an engine that started easily and ran poorly or you could have one that started poorly and ran well.

The other downside was that the lighting system was 6 volt and if you stalled the engine, the lights went out, which was hazardous in traffic.

When I restored my TT, I converted the system to battery. I used conventional coils and condensers and changed the auto advance to a 12 degree battery type. I replaced the stator and installed a stock battery box, using a small AGM battery. I also used a Mity-Max unit that took the place of the separate rectifier and zener diode that Triumph used on the battery models. It looks no different than the original, but it now starts easily and runs well.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:53 AM   #24
Rockcat
LDA

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
That makes sense. I wasn't aware of that option. I'm guessing those parts are pretty hard to find?
From the pictures I have seen, it looks very similar if not identical to the BSA QD hub. They are not too hard to find. Many Triumph racers used BSA parts. My pre unit 500 is in a BSA A 10 frame with a BSA QD rear hub.
Rockcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #25
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
From the pictures I have seen, it looks very similar if not identical to the BSA QD hub. They are not too hard to find. Many Triumph racers used BSA parts. My pre unit 500 is in a BSA A 10 frame with a BSA QD rear hub.
The BSA hub is kind of "crinkled" where the spoke holes are. The Triumph one is not. Same principle, but different. I have the parts book here.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #26
earwig
Crowbar of Embrayage

Oddometer: 4,722
Quote:
I see that Feked.com is selling what appears to be a similar siamesed exhaust pipe. Anyone have any experience with them?
FWIW: I have had good luck with Feked.

Only two orders, but everything was as promised.

Looks like a cool project. I'm also more interested in patina than shine.
earwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Quote:
ET systems were troublesome at best. The magnet rotor had to be timed so it was at the maximum magnetic flux when the points opened. This was continually changing as the auto advance mechanism advanced and retarded the place the points opened and closed. The upshot was that you could have an engine that started easily and ran poorly or you could have one that started poorly and ran well.

The other downside was that the lighting system was 6 volt and if you stalled the engine, the lights went out, which was hazardous in traffic.

When I restored my TT, I converted the system to battery. I used conventional coils and condensers and changed the auto advance to a 12 degree battery type. I replaced the stator and installed a stock battery box, using a small AGM battery. I also used a Mity-Max unit that took the place of the separate rectifier and zener diode that Triumph used on the battery models. It looks no different than the original, but it now starts easily and runs well.
I understand what you are saying. There were also some later improvements as I recall. I was lucky and scored a later improved stator for cheap. The other improvement (that I haven't done)would be the later timing plate that allows timing each cylinder without taking the dwell out of spec.
I mainly kept the ET system to see if I could make it work.
My Uncle bought it new and I believe he struggled finding someone who could make it run. When I got it one of the first things I found wrong was that someone had installed a 12 degree advance mechanism. ??
John Healy and others at BB Forum were very helpful. I seriously doubt I would have had the patience to make it go without them.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #28
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. There were also some later improvements as I recall. I was lucky and scored a later improved stator for cheap. The other improvement (that I haven't done)would be the later timing plate that allows timing each cylinder without taking the dwell out of spec.
I mainly kept the ET system to see if I could make it work.
My Uncle bought it new and I believe he struggled finding someone who could make it run. When I got it one of the first things I found wrong was that someone had installed a 12 degree advance mechanism. ??
John Healy and others at BB Forum were very helpful. I seriously doubt I would have had the patience to make it go without them.
Yes. Later, there was a rotor/plate setup so it could be timed to the points. The later breaker plate was a lot better because it took the condensers out of the breaker plate and made the points individually timeable. Most of those who raced used a fixed points cam and timed everything to full advance. My dirt tracker was set up this way. There was a Tri-Cor breaker plate that used Bendix points from an outboard motor available for this.

If I were to do one today, I'd use a 12v stator along with a Boyer ignition and a Boyer power box.
Old 12-25-2013, 06:12 PM   #29
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Quote:
Yes. Later, there was a rotor/plate setup so it could be timed to the points. The later breaker plate was a lot better because it took the condensers out of the breaker plate and made the points individually timeable. Most of those who raced used a fixed points cam and timed everything to full advance. My dirt tracker was set up this way. There was a Tri-Cor breaker plate that used Bendix points from an outboard motor available for this.

If I were to do one today, I'd use a 12v stator along with a Boyer ignition and a Boyer power box.
I have ridden the bike very little actually and I'm sure getting rid of the ET would be a very good thing, but then there probably aren't many still running that have it.
It is bittersweet, in a way it is a good thing that it came on the bike because the odometer shows less that 3000 miles. I don't think he ever got it to run right for very long.
I'm getting way off topic here and would like to finish by saying that this is looking to be a great thread and I'm anxious to see where it goes.

As a side note, I lust to have a TT Special

Old 12-26-2013, 07:49 AM   #30
Twotaildog OP
Old Poop

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwig View Post
FWIW: I have had good luck with Feked.

Only two orders, but everything was as promised.

Looks like a cool project. I'm also more interested in patina than shine.
I'm glad you said that. I went ahead and ordered that pipe.